April 29, 2024, 04:22:49 AM

Author Topic: Problem with Hunting bow  (Read 2778 times)

Sailor Vulcan

• Secret Identity: Imaginator
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
Problem with Hunting bow
« on: June 24, 2015, 04:48:47 PM »
It costs 11 mana. Johktari bm only has 9 channeling. If she uses both lair and a bow like she wants to, using the in school bow means her opening will cost at least 27 mana. She CAN'T afford that. If she tries to do that she can't have an active creature until round 4 (3 if she uses rouse the beast), since she'll have to skip deploying when she summons her hunting bow, since there are no animals that cost 3 mana. Her best option is either to use the ivarium longbow, which isn't as good and is out of school, or to skip deploying round 2. Furthermore, judging by the design of the johktari art card, she's MEANT TO USE THE HUNTING BOW.

What's up with that? Will there ever be 3-mana cost animals that can be deployed by the lair? Or will there not be? Maybe the hunting bow could be errated so that the johktari bm can actually use it effectively without waiting until r4 to have an active creature unless she uses rouse the beast?

What do you think?
  • Favourite Mage: Salenia Forcemaster
I am Sailor Vulcan! Champion of justice and reason! And yes, I am already aware my uniform is considered flashy, unprofessional, and borderline sexually provocative for my species by most intelligent lifeforms. I did not choose this outfit. Shut up.

Halewijn

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 6
    • View Profile
Re: Problem with Hunting bow
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2015, 05:12:08 PM »
19       15+4       0     (lair + harmonize)
9+3     2+2+5    3     (hawkeye + enchantment you want + little beastie)
12+3   11+1      0+3 (bow + reveal hawkeye + shoot )
9+6           ?            ?    (big creature time!)

I see no problem. Active creature in round 3 + shooting  8)

Or if you don't want to harmonize your lair:

19        15+2         2    (lair + harmonize on Bm)  --> reveal during upkeep (costs 4, gives 1)
8+2      2+5          3    (hawkeye + little beastie) ---> you do waste an action. Or you can run around a bit
13+2   11+1       1+2  (bow + reveal hawkeye)
11+4     ?              ?

This is just out of the top of my head, maybe you can do even better.  :)

« Last Edit: June 24, 2015, 05:24:19 PM by Halewijn »
  • Favourite Mage: Bloodwave Warlord
When in doubt kill it with fire? I never doubt and crush them right away.

Halewijn

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2015, 05:29:30 PM »
19        15+2         2    (lair + hawkeye)   
11+2     5+5          3    (mana flower + little beastie) ---> you do waste an action. Or you can run around a bit
13+2   11+1       1+2  (bow + reveal hawkeye)
11+4     ?              ?

This is maybe even better. No harmonize and  a mana flower.
  • Favourite Mage: Bloodwave Warlord
When in doubt kill it with fire? I never doubt and crush them right away.

iNano78

• Ambassador
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 4
  • Playing face-to-face in Ottawa again soon
    • View Profile
    • Ottawa/Gatineau Mage Wars (FB group)
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2015, 09:56:50 PM »
I think she might be better with Hunting Bow and a buddy than a Lair. I think a bigger problem with her using Hunting Bow is that it requires a full action to shoot, forcing her to give up her Fast ability on rounds she shoots. And it takes up both weapon and armour slots, so no Mage Wand of Teleport or Force Push to assist with those stationary rounds.  Well, that and her Wounded Prey ability only works on non-Mage living creatures... so her animal friends are good at taking out other living creatures but not the opposing Mage.

*edit* fixed autocorrect of "weapon" to "pre-eclampsia" - WTF?!  I don't even know what that means - until I googled it of course.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2015, 10:39:21 AM by iNano78 »
  • Favourite Mage: Salenia Forcemaster