April 29, 2024, 07:33:49 PM

Author Topic: GENCON 2015 Tournament  (Read 38824 times)

JasonBourneZombie

• Playtester
  • Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
Re: GENCON 2015 Tournament
« Reply #15 on: June 26, 2015, 07:48:31 AM »
I'll be there. Would really mess things up if I didn't go.
  • Favourite Mage: Darkfenne Necromancer
...ergh...argh...

Puddnhead

• Member of Arcane Duels; MageCast Co-host
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 26, 2015, 08:25:37 AM »
I will be at GenCon, but I'll be manning the booth so you all can play in the tournament.
  • Favourite Mage: Salenia Forcemaster

DaveW

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 27, 2015, 07:20:49 PM »
I will be at GenCon, but I'll be manning the booth so you all can play in the tournament.

And we all thank you and the others for hosting it.

I'll be there and playing in the tournament, but I have no idea yet which Mage I'm going to be using... I did well with an Earth Wizard last year, but I'm tired of playing it.
  • Favourite Mage: Asyra Priestess

vlad3theimpaler

• Jr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 28, 2015, 06:01:34 AM »
I will be there recording the tournament. And hopefully watching Vlad take a top position in the tournament!
Works for me.   8)

DaveW

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 28, 2015, 04:14:31 PM »

In what way?

silverclawgrizzly

• Charlotte Mage Warrior
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 29, 2015, 12:01:38 AM »

In what way?

He's not only judging he's giving me and another judge a ride as well as one of our reigning Wounded Warrior Champions who's coming to compete. His car is the most reliable. So if JasonBourneZombie doesn't make it we gotta grey hound it.
  • Favourite Mage: Straywood Beastmaster
What we must all remember is no matter the game we were all newbies at one point.

JasonBourneZombie

• Playtester
  • Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 29, 2015, 07:56:18 AM »
Right. I don't mean that the tournament would miss me if I had to drop. I bet AW could replace a judge inside a couple days. I do NOT want to test that theory, though. I'm psyched.
...ergh...argh...

DaveW

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 29, 2015, 04:33:12 PM »
Setting reminder to self: Be nice to JBZ for the next few weeks....

A few weeks! It's almost here? And I still have nothing to wear (in terms of Mage garb). Every day I feel like bringing something different.

Coshade

• Arcane Duels Host
  • Administrator
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 6
    • View Profile
    • Arcane Duels!
« Reply #23 on: June 29, 2015, 09:45:03 PM »
Hey guys!

Just wanted to say that I'm excited to help bring this tournament to the internet! I know most of the players plan on keeping their spellbooks secret before the tourny, but if you are interested in an outsider perspective I would be glad to take a look at your book. If you play on OCTGN I would also be happy to set up a time and play a strategy you may feel you need training in.
Feel free to PM me!
  • Favourite Mage: Malakai Priest

silverclawgrizzly

• Charlotte Mage Warrior
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 30, 2015, 12:17:24 AM »
I'd actually like to talk a little now about something I might as well get out of the way now:

How I run tournaments.

I'm the Head Judge for the GenCon Mage Wars Arena Championship this year. I didn't plan on that happening but it did and I'm committed to doing an excellent job that exceeds expectations. I do indeed have experience running highly competitive events and organizing volunteers. I pride myself on professionalism at events and on promoting a fun, friendly atmosphere.

Here is what I promise as Head Judge and what I expect in return.

-I will be completely impartial and fair in all decisions. I've run a host of big events locally for years, though I'll admit never as big a Mage Wars event as this. I have run tournaments for other games larger than this. I've never been accused of bias and I'm certainly not starting at Gen Con.

-I will competently know the rules of Mage Wars. I already have a very strong grasp on the rules and I'm studying like a crack addict every little nuance that can come up. Nobody deserves to get crap rulings that cost them a shot at the biggest prize of them all.

-I will abide by all requests and regulations of Arcane Wonders. Make no mistake friends, I work for Arcane Wonders come Gen Con. They call the shots and I follow orders. I will in no way embarrass Arcane Wonders or any member of their staff, this includes my fellow volunteers. This also includes doing everything in my power to organize rounds effectively and smoothly.

-I will personally see that the other judges will adhere to all of these standards as well.

In return I expect all competitors to hold themselves to a high level of sportsmanship and fair play. I will not abide with cheating, smack talk, taunting, tantrums, or other displays of poor sportsmanship. We're at Gen Con, lets act like it. You don't spend cash on a con badge and travel all the way to friggin Indianapolis to cheat and win through anything other than skill. You enter to prove to yourself and everyone else that you're the real goods. I expect every Mage Warrior to fight every match to their utmost. The thing I think we're all most interested in seeing are some excellent matches against great players. Lets work together to have a good, fun event that promotes this game we love and strengthens bonds of friendship through gaming.

Finally to the 2015 Gen Con Champion, whoever you end up being:

I would like to play you with my Beast Master if time permits. I honestly just want to see how I'd do against the champ :)
What we must all remember is no matter the game we were all newbies at one point.

silverclawgrizzly

• Charlotte Mage Warrior
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 30, 2015, 12:23:45 AM »
Setting reminder to self: Be nice to JBZ for the next few weeks....

A few weeks! It's almost here? And I still have nothing to wear (in terms of Mage garb). Every day I feel like bringing something different.

Dave I'd just like to say if you show up dressed as the Araxian Crown Warlock I'm going to be legitimately impressed.

DaveW

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 30, 2015, 09:16:12 PM »
Now there's an idea! Anyone have a couple of ram's horns they can lend me?

adanaz

• Jr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 30, 2015, 10:04:56 PM »
That's great silverclawgrizzly, really admirable and inspiring words.

Here in the UK, we had a UK Championship tournament on May 29th at the UK Games Expo.  It's unequivocal that Mage Wars is nowhere near as big here as it appears to be there in the US.  Arcane Wonders had a small booth in one of the trade halls which was running demo games of Mage Wars.  The tournament started with 30 places available and was cut to 12.  There were 10 participants on the day (one of which was an opportunist who just happened to have a spellbook with him and only took part in one match).  Chris, the Arcane Wonders ambassador, had to run both the booth and the tournament, and did a very good job of it.  We were allocated our opponents by Chris and were pretty much left to get on with our matches.  Chris came to check on times, winners etc. as much as he could.  All of the competitors had high levels of sportsmanship and it was a friendly atmosphere between us all.  Overall it was an excellent experience for me, I had only been playing for three months, against one opponent, and managed to place fifth! (Or fourth, as there was a joint third, however you want to look at it). 

Here are some links:

Info: http://forum.arcanewonders.com/index.php?topic=15521.msg51935#msg51935

Results: http://forum.arcanewonders.com/index.php?topic=15618.msg51928#msg51928

I am Adam, I played John (modified loss), Jonathan (modified loss) and Justin (modified win).

I'm hoping that Mage Wars will grow in popularity here and that next year's tournament will attract more players!

How many players are registered for the GenCon tournament?
« Last Edit: June 30, 2015, 10:15:14 PM by adanaz »
  • Favourite Mage: Sortilege Wizard
"My favourite guilty pleasure? Are there innocent ones?" - Shadowcloak Vampire (M15).

vlad3theimpaler

• Jr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 01, 2015, 05:22:13 AM »
For those that make the cut to the second day, do they have to play the same list, or can we play one on Friday and a different one on Saturday?

V10lentray

• Member of Arcane Duels
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 01, 2015, 07:39:48 AM »
For those that make the cut to the second day, do they have to play the same list, or can we play one on Friday and a different one on Saturday?

Same book. Aall books are registered and there are random deck checks on day one. As well as uppion arrival on day 2.
  • Favourite Mage: Wychwood Druid