April 29, 2024, 02:58:50 AM

Author Topic: How to nerf wizard.  (Read 3782 times)

Phillus

• Jr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
How to nerf wizard.
« on: May 26, 2015, 11:29:43 PM »
By buffing all other mages. Giving some of them their own version of teleport like divine intervention. Their own nullify. Or even their own Mana Crystal like Mana flower. Something like Cursed Relic Dark level 1 5 mana 8 life + 1 channeling upon destruction gives rot to all living creatures in this zone.

DaveW

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
Re: How to nerf wizard.
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2015, 09:38:09 PM »
I would hate for the game to devolve into each Mage having identical abilities, but called different things. I like the fact that there are many nature school enchantments where there is no arcane (or other) equivalent, for example. That is one of the things that make the Beastmaster special, having his own flavor. I feel that you may not be suggesting that all Mages should be equal this way, however. If you are not also, for example, advocating arcane school enchantments equivalent to the nature-school enchantments, then I would have to question why.

The Wizard does not need any hate... he already starts with disadvantages compared with many other Mages... tied (I believe) for the lowest starting life total, for example. The option on training is no real benefit the way I look at it. I think of the Wizard as four different Mages depending on his selection of element... just as the Warlord has War and Earth, and the Warlocks have Fire and Dark... it's all the same to me.

His shield can nice to have at some times... but it's not what a lot of people seem to think it's cracked up to be. The one thing that the Wizard has that seems truly primo is the arcane zap ability... but then, isn't that roughly as beneficial as the +1 melee Battle Training that some Mages have, or the Forcemaster's force pull, or the female warlock's affinity for burns, etc.?

Clearly you do not believe that the Wizard is on par with most other Mages already; I do. How do you determine who has the correct opinion? Wizards don't win every tournament, for example. (I haven't heard of them winning very many compared with some other Mages, to be honest.) If they did, then I might be inclined to think that something might need to be done.

Just because they can be a pain to go up against sometimes (especially if you are not ready for them) doesn't make them overpowered. Yes, they can dispel the heck out of enchantments, and nullify your spells... but what good does that do for them when, for one example, the Forcemaster steals their armor and slices them to pieces with Galvitar that they can't dissolve enough times to make it go away forever?

Consider Wizards a challenge... one of many. Necromancers provide their own form of pain if you are not prepared to meet them, as do Priests, Beastmasters, etc., etc. Prepare and play well, and you generally will win against those who do not prepare or play as well... regardless of which Mage you choose to use, and which Mage your opponent chooses.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2015, 09:43:00 PM by DaveW »
  • Favourite Mage: Asyra Priestess

Phillus

• Jr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
Re: How to nerf wizard.
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2015, 11:00:11 PM »
I would hate for the game to devolve into each Mage having identical abilities, but called different things. I like the fact that there are many nature school enchantments where there is no arcane (or other) equivalent, for example. That is one of the things that make the Beastmaster special, having his own flavor. I feel that you may not be suggesting that all Mages should be equal this way, however. If you are not also, for example, advocating arcane school enchantments equivalent to the nature-school enchantments, then I would have to question why.

The Wizard does not need any hate... he already starts with disadvantages compared with many other Mages... tied (I believe) for the lowest starting life total, for example. The option on training is no real benefit the way I look at it. I think of the Wizard as four different Mages depending on his selection of element... just as the Warlord has War and Earth, and the Warlocks have Fire and Dark... it's all the same to me.

His shield can nice to have at some times... but it's not what a lot of people seem to think it's cracked up to be. The one thing that the Wizard has that seems truly primo is the arcane zap ability... but then, isn't that roughly as beneficial as the +1 melee Battle Training that some Mages have, or the Forcemaster's force pull, or the female warlock's affinity for burns, etc.?

Clearly you do not believe that the Wizard is on par with most other Mages already; I do. How do you determine who has the correct opinion? Wizards don't win every tournament, for example. (I haven't heard of them winning very many compared with some other Mages, to be honest.) If they did, then I might be inclined to think that something might need to be done.

Just because they can be a pain to go up against sometimes (especially if you are not ready for them) doesn't make them overpowered. Yes, they can dispel the heck out of enchantments, and nullify your spells... but what good does that do for them when, for one example, the Forcemaster steals their armor and slices them to pieces with Galvitar that they can't dissolve enough times to make it go away forever?

Consider Wizards a challenge... one of many. Necromancers provide their own form of pain if you are not prepared to meet them, as do Priests, Beastmasters, etc., etc. Prepare and play well, and you generally will win against those who do not prepare or play as well... regardless of which Mage you choose to use, and which Mage your opponent chooses.
Dark Wizards Version of heal is Vampiric Embrace. Beastmaster has Mana flower compared to Mana Crystal. Water Wizard has dissolve Fire wizard has explode. These things have different schools yet are called do something similar and something different. Sort of like the mass amount of +2 armor chest pieces. These are meant to have the same gold but different mana costs and effects. Yes you are right that wizards are on par with most other mages. I should change the title to more class alternatives that fit their feel of play.
Fire Mages Blow things up and Dark Mages Take your life as their own.