April 25, 2024, 10:37:43 PM

Author Topic: Cast attack spell with freshly cast Wizard's Tower  (Read 4830 times)

adanaz

• Jr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
Cast attack spell with freshly cast Wizard's Tower
« on: May 04, 2015, 07:00:36 PM »
Hey guys,

I've spent quite a while searching for an answer for this one (and read some very interesting discussions while doing so).

I can't see any reason why this is not legal and am quietly confident that I am right.  However, if I am wrong, I will have no problem accepting that.

Can a freshly cast [mwcard=MWSTX1CKJ02]Wizard's Tower[/mwcard] fire off it's spellbound attack spell e.g. [mwcard=FWA04]Hurl Boulder[/mwcard], straight after it has been cast?  Note: this is not during either of the QuickCast phases.

Scenario - I move two spaces with my mage and QuickCast a  [mwcard=MWSTX1CKJ02]Wizard's Tower[/mwcard].  I spellbind the [mwcard=FWA04]Hurl Boulder[/mwcard] and immediately use it to attack a wall.  All mana costs were paid, ranges were checked, immunities etc.

As always, thanks in advance.  The information from the fellow users and administrators of this forum are invaluable to us all!
  • Favourite Mage: Sortilege Wizard
"My favourite guilty pleasure? Are there innocent ones?" - Shadowcloak Vampire (M15).

echephron

• Player
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
  • The finest in mage wear...
    • View Profile
Re: Cast attack spell with freshly cast Wizard's Tower
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2015, 07:10:58 PM »
I dont think that would work. Wizard tower activates after a creature action, not a quickcast action. Casting it with your full action(or before your full action with a quickcast) will allow it to attack-spell that turn.

So if you are solo, dont cast it with your quickcast after your main action.
  • Favourite Mage: Wychwood Druid

adanaz

• Jr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2015, 07:35:36 PM »
I guess I can wriggle out of this one with my opponent as his following move was to put a guard on a creature and (luckily for me) I had a [mwcard=MW1C37]Thunderift Falcon[/mwcard] to action after that, who didn't do any damage to anything.  The wall wasn't destroyed by the attack (drat!)  Thus the [mwcard=MWSTX1CKJ02]Wizard's Tower[/mwcard]'s attack spell could have been cast then... if he can possibly accept that..... in retrospect..
"My favourite guilty pleasure? Are there innocent ones?" - Shadowcloak Vampire (M15).

Zuberi

• Rules Guru
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 57
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2015, 08:05:27 PM »
You can certainly cast a Wizards Tower and then have it fire off it's spell immediately, as long as it is done during the creature action phase and not one of the Quick Cast Phases.

For example, you could move a creature two zones and attack with it, then quick cast the Wizards Tower, and then fire off the tower's spell. That is perfectly legal. Both the quick cast and the tower's spell were used after a friendly creature action phase before you passed turn.

ringkichard

• Flightless Funpire
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 18
  • Kich, if you prefer.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2015, 10:29:55 PM »
Yeah, you can totally do this. It's one reason Wizard's Tower is so powerful. You are also allowed to reveal an enchantment after a friendly creature's activation ("You may choose to reveal an
enchantment immediately after any action or event,") and then use a Quickcast and then use  Wizard's Tower's ability. Or do it in the other order, using Wizard's Tower and then some other Quickcast.

And yes, it's as brutal as you think it is.
I can take the fun out of anything. It's true; here, look at this spreadsheet.

adanaz

• Jr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2015, 11:43:57 PM »
Sweet (callous chuckle).  I thought that it all appeared to be legal and made sense. 

I've read a few comments about making the Wizard's Tower more expensive to cast, a higher level etc.  Although I agree that it is powerful and, indeed, brutal, I don't think that it is as super as some complainers make it out to be.  Yes it is an amazing attack to have and is worth every point of mana spent on it.  However, in my last game, my opponents [mwcard=MWSTX2FFC03]Bloodcrag Minotaur[/mwcard] took it out with one attack (4 + 2 charge attack dice).  Lucky dice roll with an exceptional amount of critical damage, you could say.  Nonetheless, this shows that the tower is not indestructible and I think that to change anything with it now, or in the future, would attract more negative than positive reactions.  I'm not sure whether Arcane Wonders would make such a big modification to a card, the errata on cards have been very minimal thus far and were for reasons in the interest of the health of the game. 

Thanks for the replies guys. 

iNano78

• Ambassador
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 4
  • Playing face-to-face in Ottawa again soon
    • View Profile
    • Ottawa/Gatineau Mage Wars (FB group)
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2015, 08:55:06 AM »
Sweet (callous chuckle).  I thought that it all appeared to be legal and made sense. 

I've read a few comments about making the Wizard's Tower more expensive to cast, a higher level etc.  Although I agree that it is powerful and, indeed, brutal, I don't think that it is as super as some complainers make it out to be.  Yes it is an amazing attack to have and is worth every point of mana spent on it.  However, in my last game, my opponents [mwcard=MWSTX2FFC03]Bloodcrag Minotaur[/mwcard] took it out with one attack (4 + 2 charge attack dice).  Lucky dice roll with an exceptional amount of critical damage, you could say.  Nonetheless, this shows that the tower is not indestructible and I think that to change anything with it now, or in the future, would attract more negative than positive reactions.  I'm not sure whether Arcane Wonders would make such a big modification to a card, the errata on cards have been very minimal thus far and were for reasons in the interest of the health of the game. 

Thanks for the replies guys.

This reminds me of MtG forum discussions.  Whenever an awesome creature is announced (like Primeval Titan or Tarmagoyf or Dark Confidant) and people voice concern that it might be overpowered, the most common response on forums is "Meh, dies to removal."  Well, yeah, sure, almost everything dies to removal.  That doesn't mean it isn't overpowered. 

Here we have [mwcard=MWSTX1CKJ02]Wizard's Tower[/mwcard], which can be destroyed by a powerful creature with a lucky roll.  So can a [mwcard=MW1J04]Battle Forge[/mwcard] or almost any other "really good" conjuration (well, [mwcard=MW1J10]some spawnpoints[/mwcard] will require a couple lucky rolls). That doesn't mean it isn't overpowered.  The "nice" thing about Battle Forge is any mage can use it for 3-5 spell points.  The reason some players are concerned about Wizard's Tower is it's Wizard only and is easily one of the best conjurations in the game, if not overpowered.  If that was all, it wouldn't be a big deal (e.g. Forcemaster gets exclusive access to [mwcard=FWQ04]one of the best weapon equipments in the game[/mwcard]; Priest(ess) gets exclusive access to [mwcard=MW1E11]one of the best enchantments in the game[/mwcard]; etc) except the Wizard already has a whole lot of exclusives going for him (e.g. tied for highest channeling; tied for cheap access to the most different schools; exclusive cheap access to the most important school; exclusively no triple cost for any school; the most universally useful mage abilities, including the only built-in 3-dice ranged attack that doesn't have a damage type (Arcane Zap); [mwcard=MW1Q32]exclusive[/mwcard] (or [mwcard=MW1J14]only non-prohibitively expensive[/mwcard]) access to resource denial spells) and to also give him exclusive access to arguably the best overall spawn point (which is probably at least a little overpowered given its ability and stat line) is a bit much.  I think it could easily have been level 4, cost 10 mana to cast, cost 2 or 3 mana to swap spells, and had Zone Exclusive and it would still have been one of the best conjurations in the game. But it is what it is, and Wizard's Tower will continue to be an auto-include in every Wizard spell book - and the Wizard will continue to be "the mage to beat (or at least plan for)."
« Last Edit: May 05, 2015, 09:20:30 AM by iNano78 »
  • Favourite Mage: Salenia Forcemaster

adanaz

• Jr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2015, 01:36:19 PM »
Very good and interesting points there iNano78.  I totally agree with your comments.  Combined with everything else that the Wizard has going on for him, the Wizard's Tower is what you have said.  I haven't played against one yet, so I could possibly benefit from experiencing how to deal with one, being on the receiving end.