April 18, 2024, 04:38:53 AM

Author Topic: I bet the shaman will be trained in nature/mind!  (Read 7003 times)

Sailor Vulcan

• Secret Identity: Imaginator
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
I bet the shaman will be trained in nature/mind!
« on: April 28, 2015, 07:21:40 AM »
The reason? Well for one, i'm pretty sure I read somewhere that his future expansion will be against the Sorceror, who is arcane/dark trained. Arcane/Dark vs Nature/Mind is more thematic than Arcane/Dark vs just nature or nature/elements. Besides, we already have a mage trained in nature and level one of an element. Futhermore, it's been said that the Shaman will use totems. Have you seen the totems in the core set? Tooth and nail is just a statue of a lion with his clawed paw taking a swipe. This statue gives all animals in the arena piercing +1, just like the lion it depicts. Rajan's fury is a statue of a stampede, and gives all animals in the arena the charge +1 ability, so they can stampede too. And animal kinship has the likenesses of five different beasts carved into it, which gives its controlling mage their powers when the same creatures depicted in the statue are summoned.

In other words, the shaman will be skilled with sympathetic magic.

I notice of course that the totems in the core set aren't nature/mind spells, only nature. I bet he also has an ability to copy an enemy's ability or somehow use their powers. The reason I think this is that the totems that currently exist are focused on buffing animals, but we already have an animal mage. If the shaman uses animals, it will be partly because he is trained in nature, and partly because the beastmaster uses animals. Therefore, I suspect there will be totems that synergize with both the shaman and other mages, just like the totems that the beastmaster likes to to use. Either that or the shaman really specializes in animals, which I find unlikely.

I know it's a long way off, but it's never too soon to start speculating, especially since it might be highly relevant in the fanfic I'm writing of Mage Wars: Nature of the Beast. Thoughts?
  • Favourite Mage: Salenia Forcemaster
I am Sailor Vulcan! Champion of justice and reason! And yes, I am already aware my uniform is considered flashy, unprofessional, and borderline sexually provocative for my species by most intelligent lifeforms. I did not choose this outfit. Shut up.

Sailor Vulcan

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
Re: I bet the shaman will be trained in nature/mind!
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2015, 07:46:46 AM »
I stand corrected. Now I think it will be nature and lv1 holy.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shamanism

Shamans are believed to:

-heal sickness caused by evil spirits
-communicate with spirits/the spirit world
-evoke animal images as spirit guides, omens, and message-bearers
-divine the future

I took a look at the level 1 holy spells that currently exist, and all of them would be fitting for a shaman. Also, take a look at renewing spring and sunfire amulet.

Reason for only level 1 holy rather than all holy is because I can't see him conjuring a temple of the dawnbreaker or summoning a knight of westlock.

Armor ward doesn't seem to fit at all though. He will probably pay triple for war spells.
I am Sailor Vulcan! Champion of justice and reason! And yes, I am already aware my uniform is considered flashy, unprofessional, and borderline sexually provocative for my species by most intelligent lifeforms. I did not choose this outfit. Shut up.

iNano78

• Ambassador
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 4
  • Playing face-to-face in Ottawa again soon
    • View Profile
    • Ottawa/Gatineau Mage Wars (FB group)
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2015, 02:53:29 PM »
I like to speculate about upcoming mages by looking at promo cards (which may or may not be relevant), and if the alternate Wizard isn't more in-touch with Nature, then perhaps the Shaman is the mage who will bridge Nature and Air schools to make good use of cards like [mwcard=MWSTX1CKC03]Galador, Protector of Straywood[/mwcard], Lightning Beetle, Lightning Strike and Raincloud, and perhaps introduce Staff of Storms, Gale Force Ring, Windstorm/Sandstorm, Wall of Poison Gas (?), etc.  There are a lot of other promo animal creatures that could find a home in a totem-based Shaman book as well: Oscuda, Dragonclaw Wolverine, Mountain Ram, Death's Head Scorpion, Pharaoh's Cheetah (although I could see the last two in some sort of Egyptian-themed expansion).

Aside: Mage Wars has been out for about 3 years now.  Where's my &$*%ing [mwcard=MW1J01]Elephant[/mwcard]?!  :P
« Last Edit: April 28, 2015, 02:55:20 PM by iNano78 »

Laddinfance

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2015, 03:08:37 PM »
Aside: Mage Wars has been out for about 3 years now.  Where's my &$*%ing [mwcard=MW1J01]Elephant[/mwcard]?!  :P

He's in testing, but he's proven too... big, for what we had planned. We're still working on him.

Schwenkgott

• Thunderdome
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2015, 03:12:29 PM »
I want a flying elephant !  .. it's fantasy, right?
Akiro, I have never prayed to you before. No one will remember if we were good men or bad. Why we fought, or why we died. All that matters is that one stood against many. That's what's important! Valor pleases you, Akiro... so grant me strength! And if you do not listen, then to HELL with you!

iNano78

• Ambassador
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 4
  • Playing face-to-face in Ottawa again soon
    • View Profile
    • Ottawa/Gatineau Mage Wars (FB group)
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2015, 03:17:38 PM »

He's in testing, but he's proven too... big, for what we had planned. We're still working on him.

Ah, so might he be like Nature's [mwcard=MWSTX2FFC10]Sardonyx, Blight of the Living[/mwcard] or [mwcard=MWSTX2FFC12]Talos[/mwcard]? Unstoppable, Charging +#, etc.  Perhaps the issue is that if he's a living creature, he'd be too easy to enchant to give an arbitrary number of attack dice (between Bear Strength, Lion Savagery, Call of the Wild, etc) and various other abilities.  Maybe make him the nonliving ghost-like manifestation of Rajan (a god of nature) or something... Or another animated statue, this time a totem that comes to "life" (but nonliving).

*edit* Or just make him like a Charging [mwcard=MW1C01]Adramelech, Lord of Fire[/mwcard], who can also be affected by enchantments that target living creatures.  Maybe toss in a Hydro ranged attack?  ;)
« Last Edit: April 28, 2015, 04:03:49 PM by iNano78 »

aridigas

• Playtester
  • Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2015, 04:45:55 PM »
I want a flying elephant !  .. it's fantasy, right?

A flying bowling-elephant?

Sailor Vulcan

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2015, 06:14:55 PM »
maybe give him the dissipate 2 trait and summon him as a quick action. He could then by targeted by any number of enchantments or even a rouse the beast, but then he would be destroyed after a round or two? would combo well with enchantment transfusion and sacrificial altar, or as a finishing move. Or you could give him the indestructible trait and dissipate 2 and have him summoned as a full action, but give him the rooted and uproot +x traits, since he's so heavy?