March 28, 2024, 03:38:26 AM

Author Topic: Mage Concept Idea - The Frostwarden  (Read 7206 times)

Erebus

• Jr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
Mage Concept Idea - The Frostwarden
« on: April 18, 2015, 06:40:28 PM »
This is a concept for an Ice Mage I've been considering. Any feedback/suggestions is highly appreciated!

Frostwarden 120 Spellbook Points/ 34 Health/ 0 Armor/ 9 Channeling
Chilled Plains         Creature:Ice Elf
====Training====
Trained in the Ice school of Magic. Fire spells cost triple during spellbook construction.

====Abilities====
Frozen Orb:
As a quick action, Frostwarden may summon a frozen orb.
Frostwarden may only have one Frozen Orb at any given time.
Frozen Orb is an incorporeal creature with 6 Health.
As a quick action, Frozen Orb may summon a blizzard within its zone,
hindering enemy creatures and blocking line of sight through all 4 zone borders.
During the upkeep phase, any living creature in the same zone as blizzard gains
1 frostbite condition. As a full action, frozen orb may teleport to the same zone as Frostwarden.

Coldhearted:
The Frostwarden has Frost Immunity. At the start of the Upkeep phase, Frostwarden
gains X armor, where X is the number of creatures afflicted with frostbite,
to be expended on the next attack or at the end of the action phase.

Ice Mastery:
Frostwarden maintains Line of Sight through blizzards and gains Ranged +1 for
range spell attacks traveling from or into a blizzard zone.

====Attack====
Frozen Touch
(Quick)(Melee)(Ice)[2]{d12}|9+ = 2 Frostbite|

====The Frostbite Condition====
Frostbite is a condition applied to living creatures by multiple ice spells. If at any time
a living creature has 6 total stacks of Frostbite, the Snap effect is applied. During the upkeep phase (after any
new stacks are applied), if no new stacks were gained since the last stack of Frostbite was applied, all stacks of Frostbite are removed. Defrost removes all frostbite conditions.
On Snap: Creature takes 3 dice of ice damage {d12}|5-7 = Chill| |7+ = Chill & Bleed|

====The Chill Condition====
Undecided, but maybe multiple chills can compound to a freeze?

====The Freeze Condition====
Undecided, but certainly an incapacitated type condition.

So basically, I want her primary goal to be using Ice spells and her frozen orb to apply many stacks of this temporary Frostbite condition so that she can snap them for damage and harsher conditions. In this way, I hope to make comboing her abilities and spells really important. Some interesting example spells include: ice attack spells with effect rolls applying progressively more stacks of Frostbite, incantations that allow her to manipulate her orb (like teleporting to it or having it extend icy spines), and boots that create an icy path wherever she walks (hindering enemies and giving her fast when traveling through it).

What do you think the chill and freeze conditions should do? Are there any numbers that need major tweaking or elements that might be too weak/strong?

*Note: I know The Chilled Plains and Ice Elves are probably not a thing in Etheria right now
* Example Mage Art: http://kelogsloops.deviantart.com/

« Last Edit: April 18, 2015, 11:56:35 PM by Erebus »
  • Favourite Mage: Straywood Beastmaster
"You see the great thing about madness is that it's all in your head."

jupiter999

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
Re: Mage Concept Idea - The Frostwarden
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2015, 07:04:26 AM »
Looks interesting~

Molrid

• Playtester
  • New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2015, 01:53:46 AM »
That mage image looks awsome. I would add water to the frost though if that was not your initial thought.

wtcannonjr

• Ambassador of Wychwood
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
    • WBC Mage Wars Tournament
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2015, 05:24:17 AM »
That mage image looks awsome. I would add water to the frost though if that was not your initial thought.

Agree on the image.

Training doesn't fit current schools. Consider changing Training to Water and Air schools. Without training in any primary school this mage will be at a large disadvantage. The elemental schools by themselves are weaker schools in terms of spell choice.

Also, I think the mechanics of your conditions are too complex. For example, remembering which creature had frostbite added in each round. What happened to the existing Frost damage? You may want to start with that effect before adding a Frostbite condition.
  • Favourite Mage: Wychwood Druid
"Not everything that is faced can be changed, but nothing can be changed until it is faced." - James Baldwin

Nareus

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2015, 11:25:54 AM »
Cool mage idea!
  • Favourite Mage: Darkfenne Necromancer
Evil is not necessary for good to exist. However, good is necessary for evil to exist, as all that is evil is a corruption of that which is good.

Erebus

• Jr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2015, 01:43:24 PM »
Thanks for the feedback! I agree that using Water and Wind as training makes more sense than adding a new school. You're completely correct that the elemental schools are pretty weak by themselves, so maybe something like water/arcane makes more sense.

I also agree that the Frostbite condition is a little confusing and hard to keep track of. That said, I really want the ice conditions to be different than burns (which don't have any interaction with other burns at all). I like the idea of ice spells having synergy with each other. Currently, they all apply stacks of a weak condition that eventually becomes something useful. The idea is that she has to continue chilling her enemies or they'll thaw out.

I think it fits with the theme of ice really well, but I'm having trouble thinking of a good way to represent it.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2015, 01:48:11 PM by Erebus »
  • Favourite Mage: Straywood Beastmaster
"You see the great thing about madness is that it's all in your head."