April 20, 2024, 04:30:02 AM

Author Topic: Wizards who pay triple  (Read 22768 times)

jhaelen

• Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
Re: Wizards who pay triple
« Reply #30 on: July 01, 2015, 02:47:02 AM »
Give them time
Well, it's been three years since the game was released. How much more time do they need?

If new cards were released for the game on a monthly schedule, fixing imbalances by releasing new cards would be fine. But with a release schedule of one or maybe two new products a year that approach is simply way too slow.

Laddinfance

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 01, 2015, 09:58:25 AM »
I've been following this thread since it started, as issues of balance are always of paramount interest for me. Today, I  reread the entire thread again. It's the last comment that really got to me.

Well, it's been three years since the game was released. How much more time do they need?

It's a valid question, and frankly as someone who spends their days immersed working on Mage Wars sets of all types, I had not sat back and thought that the Core Set came out three years ago. It took me a moment, and it was also why I reread this entire post. Early on, we were incredibly worried about the Forcemaster, but since the melee +X ruling, I've been trying to keep an eye on the Wizard, as he was the next closest to having an issue. Personally, I was very happy with Forged in Fire and what it was able to accomplish. It really helped elevate the Warlord, and expand the play available to the Warlock.

But, that was last year, and I understand the frustration. You, as players, are waiting to have more Mages expanded and enriched like we did with Forged in Fire. I was excited to be working on just that. Now, after rereading this post, I have a new sense of urgency.

In the end, what do you want to see other schools get to help against a wizard? Honestly, I've always felt that the best way to handle all of this is through printing new cards. However, I'm very interested in what you feel would best help other schools.

I can't make any promises as to how often products will come out, but I do promise you I'm working on them as hard as I can.

Coshade

• Arcane Duels Host
  • Administrator
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 6
    • View Profile
    • Arcane Duels!
« Reply #32 on: July 01, 2015, 12:15:19 PM »
Laddinfance! I really appreciate your commitment towards making this game even more awesome then it already is. The game will never be perfect, but I think as each expansion comes out it gets closer towards that.

I like the wizard a lot. He's really easy to learn, and easy to manipulate. I think a lot of new players see how this game can force players in a strategic direction through the wizard (all mages have their own way of forcing your opponent in a direction). If you don't want to errata the wizard (like making nature cost triple or wizard tower not having spellbind) then I think an easy way is to give more obscured trait cards. If you only have to be 2 zones instead of 3 zones away from the Wizard's Tower then that is a step in the right direction. 
  • Favourite Mage: Malakai Priest

Sailor Vulcan

• Secret Identity: Imaginator
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 01, 2015, 01:35:52 PM »
Maybe focus on getting Paladin vs Siren ready to release BEFORE the end of this year. Having more mind spells will definitely help flesh out the forcemaster. Although war has already gotten support in forged in fire, holy didn't really get as much support as it probably should have in Conquest of Kumanjaro.

It might also be a good idea to figure out a non-arcane way to make enchantments more durable? Too often a dispel is preferable to every enchantment that can be used as a counter. Your creature is enfeebled? You're not going to counter by revealing cheetah speed, since if you have a face down enchantment on your creature before hand your opponent might think it's a nullify and won't waste their enfeeble in the first place. Plus, they can just dispel your cheetah speed anyways.
  • Favourite Mage: Salenia Forcemaster
I am Sailor Vulcan! Champion of justice and reason! And yes, I am already aware my uniform is considered flashy, unprofessional, and borderline sexually provocative for my species by most intelligent lifeforms. I did not choose this outfit. Shut up.

Laddinfance

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 01, 2015, 02:35:59 PM »
Paladin/Siren is absolutely a priority for me.