April 29, 2024, 07:43:41 AM

Author Topic: Priestess Apprentice Spell book not 60 points?  (Read 3885 times)

DaveW

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
Priestess Apprentice Spell book not 60 points?
« on: April 12, 2015, 08:47:35 PM »
I am in the process of setting up each of the four Apprentice mode spellbooks for a set of demos that we are running at a con next weekend, and counted 61 spellbook points in the Priestess book. This was the first one that I set up, so I haven't checked any of the other three yet, but I thought that it was odd, and wanted to let you know. (I am removing one of the Clerics to make the Priestess book 60 points.)
  • Favourite Mage: Asyra Priestess

Sailor Vulcan

• Secret Identity: Imaginator
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
Re: Priestess Apprentice Spell book not 60 points?
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2015, 09:57:54 PM »
I don't remember any of the regular apprentice spellbooks being exactly 60 points. OCTGN has a better, more balanced version of apprentice mode, but for the purposes of teaching the game to beginners, the regular apprentice mode is more than good enough. That  being said, I wouldn't mess with the apprentice spellbook designs if I were you. Even if they're not perfect, if you make any slight changes that could potentially mess with how that spellbook performs. Two clerics in this case is very likely to be better than one. If you don't like the current spellbook designs, maybe try redesigning the apprentice books from scratch. Good luck finding people to playtest it, though! Most people who aren't beginners usually don't play in apprentice mode unless they're teaching the game to someone, and a beginner probably won't want to playtest using experimental/custom spellbooks in their first ever game of Mage Wars.
  • Favourite Mage: Salenia Forcemaster
I am Sailor Vulcan! Champion of justice and reason! And yes, I am already aware my uniform is considered flashy, unprofessional, and borderline sexually provocative for my species by most intelligent lifeforms. I did not choose this outfit. Shut up.

sIKE

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 18
  • Ugh
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2015, 11:16:24 PM »
I think I have seen this question asked before and if I recall it was due to a Novice card that escaped notice when counting spell points.
  • Favourite Mage: Malakai Priest

DaveW

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2015, 06:00:12 AM »
I saw 30 or so threads that related, but none of them asked this question before. Perhaps it was in the old forums somewhere.

I'll put the Cleric back in. Yes, this is for showing the game to new players. (I think seven of my 20 slots were filled before pre-reg closed.)
  • Favourite Mage: Asyra Priestess