April 29, 2024, 02:29:01 AM

Author Topic: [Malakai Priest]The Colossus of Clout  (Read 3322 times)

Hardcordo

[Malakai Priest]The Colossus of Clout
« on: April 10, 2015, 11:07:03 AM »
So since I am relatively new to the game I am currently working through each mage to try and figure out their shtick and see what is fun and develop strategy to play against them and hone my spell book building skills in general. I kept hearing that the Malakai Priest was not that great so I wanted to see why.

This week for the bi-weekly Mage Wars group in my area I threw together a quick Malakai Priest. The first spell book I threw together was not that great but I was able to rush in and get a pretty quick victory against the Anvil Throne Warlord I was up against. I made to tweaks to it and here is where I am at with it. There are definitely some changes that I would like to make with regards to attack spells and maybe optimizing my enchantments, creatures, and equipment. I will make some more tweaks once I am finally able to get my hands on Forcemaster vs. Warlord.

This is a work in progress.

[spellbook]
[spellbookheader]
[spellbookname]The Colossus of Clout[/spellbookname]
[mage]A Priest Spellbook[/mage]
[mage]built by the OCTGN SBB[/mage]
[/spellbookheader]
[spells]
[spellclass]Attack[/spellclass]
[mwcard=MW1A01]1 x Blinding Flash[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MW1A11]3 x Pillar of Light[/mwcard]
[spellclass]Conjuration[/spellclass]
[mwcard=MW1J04]1 x Battle Forge[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MW1J08]1 x Hand of Bim-Shalla[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MW1J13]1 x Mana Flower[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MW1J21]1 x Suppression Orb[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MW1J09]1 x Temple of the Dawnbreaker[/mwcard]
[spellclass]Creature[/spellclass]
[mwcard=MW1C06]1 x Brogan Bloodstone[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MWSTX1CKC06]1 x Guardian Angel[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MW1C28]1 x Royal Archer[/mwcard]
[spellclass]Enchantment[/spellclass]
[mwcard=MW1E36]1 x Rhino Hide[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MW1E30]1 x Pacify[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MW1E29]2 x Nullify[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MW1E25]1 x Maim Wings[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MW1E11]1 x Divine Intervention[/mwcard]
[mwcard=DNE03]2 x Stumble[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MWSTX2FFE02]1 x Akiro's Favor[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MWSTX1CKE01]1 x Armor Ward[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MW1E01]2 x Bear Strength[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MW1E02]1 x Block[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MWSTX2FFE04]1 x Brace Yourself[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MW1E03]1 x Bull Endurance[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MW1E05]1 x Cheetah Speed[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MWSTX2FFE06]1 x Lion Savagery[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MW1E12]1 x Divine Protection[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MW1E16]1 x Force Hold[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MW1E20]1 x Harmonize[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MWSTX1CKE03]1 x Healing Charm[/mwcard]
[spellclass]Equipment[/spellclass]
[mwcard=MWSTX1CKQ05]1 x Dispel Wand[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MW1Q27]1 x Dawnbreaker Ring[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MWSTX1CKQ04]1 x Reflex Boots[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MWSTX1CKQ01]1 x Sunfire Amulet[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MW1Q29]2 x Staff of Asyra[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MW1Q11]1 x Gauntlets of Strength[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MW1Q08]1 x Elemental Wand[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MW1Q24]1 x Ring of Asyra[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MWPROMO51]1 x Spiked Armor[/mwcard]
[spellclass]Incantation[/spellclass]
[mwcard=MWPRO1]1 x Dispel[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MWSTX2FFI03]2 x Disarm[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MW1I12]1 x Force Push[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MW1I16]1 x Lay Hands[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MW1I20]1 x Purify[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MW1I23]1 x Rouse the Beast[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MW1I24]1 x Seeking Dispel[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MW1I28]1 x Teleport[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MWSTX2FFI01]1 x Combustion[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MW1I07]1 x Dissolve[/mwcard]
[/spells]
[cost]Total cost: 120 pts[/cost]
[/spellbook]

My opening plan:
Turn 1: [mwcard=MW1J04]Battle Forge[/mwcard] then move and cast [mwcard=MW1J08]Hand of Bim-Shalla[/mwcard]

Turn 2/3: Deploy [mwcard=MW1Q27]Dawnbreaker Ring[/mwcard], then either summon [mwcard=MWSTX1CKC06]Guardian Angel[/mwcard] or equip [mwcard=MW1Q29]Staff of Asyra[/mwcard], move and cast [mwcard=MW1E29]Nullify[/mwcard]

Turn 4: Deploy [mwcard=MWSTX1CKQ04]Reflex Boots[/mwcard], [mwcard=MW1J09]Temple of the Dawnbreaker[/mwcard], [mwcard=MW1E01]Bear Strength[/mwcard] or maybe Melee?
Turn 4+: Make myself stronger and beat my opponent to a pulp

Edit: Why are holy creatures so expensive! Also I forgot a word and formating

Edit 2: I will probably remove [mwcard=MW1C06]Brogan Bloodstone[/mwcard]and [mwcard=MW1I16]Lay Hands[/mwcard](for some reason I had it in my head I could do it on my self.) I also probably don't need both [mwcard=MW1J13]Mana Flower[/mwcard] and [mwcard=MW1E20]Harmonize[/mwcard] since I am hoping to rush in and get things done quickly. I also plan to work in [mwcard=MW1E28]Mongoose Agility[/mwcard] and[mwcard=FWE03]Falcon Precision[/mwcard].
« Last Edit: April 10, 2015, 01:22:50 PM by Hardcordo »

Borg

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
Re: [Malakai Priest]The Colossus of Clout
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2015, 02:37:20 PM »
At first Glance,

You have only 1 melee creature to make your Avenger ( the Angel ).
Once you lose the Angel, that skill is out of the window.
Consider the addition of a Knight of Westlock or a Unicorn which both provide nice abilities to complement the Priest.

The Holy attack spells are generally considered weak, consider taking them out.
Consider adding a Force Hammer or Hurl Boulder to take care of opposing Conjurations.

Only 1 Dispel and only 1 Dissolve will probably not be enough to compete in that area.
Better to replace Dispel wand with another two Dispels.

If somebody puts an Enfeeble on your Mage you can only remove it once, the second one you can't remove anymore and it's game over.

How are you going to deal with an armoured up opponent ? I see no Acid Balls to put some corrosion markers down if necessary and you only have 1 Lion Savagery to give you Pierce +1.

Besides 1 Force Push and an expensive ( spellpointwise ) Teleport you also have no means to deal with Guards.

Definitely load up on Mongoose Agility ( at least three imo )

You're going to be short on actions with so few creatures and your Mage geared towards combat, that means you only have your Battle Forge and your QC to react to the game situation. There will likely be no time to use a Wand.

Strongly suggest to use a couple of Enchantment Transfusion, so you can quickly switch away precious enchantments should the carrying creature go down.

Things I would take out for different reasons ...
Blinding Flash
Pillar of Light
Suppression Orb
Temple of the Dawnbreaker
Royal Archer
Pacify
Stumble ( replace with Tanglevine )
Dispel Wand
Ring of Asyra
Combustion

... and replace with more effective cards like :
Enchanter's Ring
Enchantment Transfusion
Tanglevine
Knights of Westlock
Highland Unicorn
Mongoose Agility
Falcon Precision
Rust
Retaliate
Dispel
Dissolve
Acid Ball
Force Hammer
Hurl Boulder
Wall of Fog
« Last Edit: April 10, 2015, 03:44:32 PM by Borg »
  • Favourite Mage: Salenia Forcemaster

Borg

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2015, 03:36:58 PM »
My opening plan:
Turn 1: [mwcard=MW1J04]Battle Forge[/mwcard] then move and cast [mwcard=MW1J08]Hand of Bim-Shalla[/mwcard]

Turn 2/3: Deploy [mwcard=MW1Q27]Dawnbreaker Ring[/mwcard], then either summon [mwcard=MWSTX1CKC06]Guardian Angel[/mwcard] or equip [mwcard=MW1Q29]Staff of Asyra[/mwcard], move and cast [mwcard=MW1E29]Nullify[/mwcard]

Turn 4: Deploy [mwcard=MWSTX1CKQ04]Reflex Boots[/mwcard], [mwcard=MW1J09]Temple of the Dawnbreaker[/mwcard], [mwcard=MW1E01]Bear Strength[/mwcard] or maybe Melee?
Turn 4+: Make myself stronger and beat my opponent to a pulp
T1: this way your BF is in starting Zone or adjacent to that zone : not far enough if the battle takes you to the other side of the arena.
T2: Staff of Asyra too early imo, you may not be in combat yet, better to load up on dice here.

Also, you don't have the mana to do all of this :
T1 19 : BF + Bim-Shalla
T2 15+1 : Ring + Angel = 15 mana.
With just one mana left, your QC is wasted and actions are GOLD with a Priest.
Bottomline, your mana reserve is depleted and you'll now get your 9+1 mana every round, so no way are you going to cast Reflex Boots +Temple of the dawnbringer + FD Bear Strength on T3 as that would require 19 mana !

Compare to this opening :

T1 19 : Move sideways - Battle Forge in NC ( Near Centre ) - QC Enchanter's Ring

Place the BF in a position to cover most of the arena and a cheap means to reduce enchantments in mana cost.

T2 18+1: D Dawnbreaker Ring - QC Hand of Bim-Shalla in starting Zone - move into BF zone - FD (Face Down ) Bear Strength.

You now already have the potential to roll 6 dice and put a Burn counter down and look at all the mana you still have ;)

T3 19+1 : D Gauntlets of Strength ( bringing your attack dice up to 7 ) .... the rest depending on opposition and board situation.

I also think Defenses, like Reflex Boots, are not ideal for the Priest.
If you avoid being hit, your Avenger ability doesn't trigger.
Ideally, you want the Priest to be hit, but not for a lot of damage, so it's better to add armour and Divine Protection and such.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2015, 03:57:58 PM by Borg »

Hardcordo

« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2015, 04:07:29 PM »
Thanks for the input. I will take another look at the spell book and make some adjustments. I am really hoping I can get my hands on FvW soon so I can have the cards from that expansion so I won't have to proxy.

When do you think is a good time to get a creature or two out there? Is it worth putting out a spawn point so I don't have to use my full round action and miss out on getting in melee attacks?

Borg

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2015, 04:51:33 PM »
When do you think is a good time to get a creature or two out there?
Probably not on T1 as I like to see what my opponent plays first so I can choose an Avenger to counter his play.

Personally, I prefer to build up the Priest first ( as I showed on my example ) and then summon and Rouse my avenger while at the same time having a Retaliate on my Priest so I don't lose momentum.

It's a costly affair though, so you gotta build it up carefully
Knight of Westlock Avenger (17) + Rouse the Beast (3) + Face up Retaliate (2) + Face Up Bear Strength (3) + Malakai's Fire (1) adds up to 26 mana if you want to "have it all" that round :)

However, if you continue like this :

T3 19+1 : D Gauntlets of Strength ( bringing your attack dice up to 7 ) + FD Retaliate + move&attack ( reveal Bear Strength ), you end up with :

T4 22+1 : That's enough to put out a Roused Westlock Avenger and still let the Priest retaliate with 7 dice against the "right" creature.

If your opponent seized this chance to hit your Priest with his Mage, your 7 dice Retaliate + your Avenger's 7 dice + Pierce+1, that's 14 dice on the enemy Mage when he maybe thought he wouldn't be hit that round once you used your full cast to summon the Knight :)

Is it worth putting out a spawn point so I don't have to use my full round action and miss out on getting in melee attacks?
The Priest seems to be more of a buddy Mage than a swarm Mage.
If you're going to summon only 1,2,3 creatures max, a spawnpoint doesn't make any sense.

Spawnpoint is more useful if you're going to use "many" creatures from a "cheaper" variety.
Currently there is only 1 Holy Creature who qualifies here and that is the [mwcard=MWSTX2FFC01] Asyran Defender[/mwcard]

Maybe this is a possible strategy as well but I haven't seen nor played a book based on that yet.
Problem may be that this is a lvl 2 creature, so only 4 per book and your cheap spawning virtually stops after that.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2015, 05:06:58 PM by Borg »

Hardcordo

« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2015, 03:44:34 PM »
I made some changes to the spell book per your recommendations. I will hopefully get a game or two in with it before the next Mage Wars game night next week and I will report back.