April 30, 2024, 07:33:40 AM

Author Topic: Top 10 Equipment Cards.  (Read 6391 times)

silverclawgrizzly

• Charlotte Mage Warrior
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 4
    • View Profile
Top 10 Equipment Cards.
« on: March 27, 2015, 01:12:36 PM »
I just watched a video online about the Top 10 Equipment cards in Mage Wars. So here's my list, feel free to post your own. Note mine is only sorta in order. Also it's bias on the mages I play and enjoy obviously.

10. dancing Scimitar. A free extra attack a turn is really cool honestly. That it can give you a "Oh god save me now!" dodge is just icing. It really benefits from the Anonymous trait. I only rank it this low because I don't play a Force Master but I fight plenty enough of them that I've grown to respect it.

9. Elemental Cloak. Well two whole mages use fire predominantly and one of the more popular Wizard builds use lightning so this gets a lot of general play for me. I'll take reducing your dice pool over adding armor to myself any day as a defense measure.

8. Cloak of Shadows. I really love this thing for my Necromancer and Warlock(when I have one built.) Forcing an opponent to cut their range game in half is pretty neat. If you're close enough to Dissolve it then I'm close enough to Drain Soul you if I have the mana. Also that means you're probably close to my minions that spawn from the Necromancers book.

7. Harshforge Plate. Honestly there's a lot of good armor in Mage Wars but this one both protects you and costs your opponent some. I play an Anvil Throne Warlord and this thing is just SO nice for so many reasons, not the least of which is making my other gear harder to destroy. Obviously I spend the extra mana and give it +1 armor most of the time(that or Cantrip.)

6. Molochs Torment. I never understand why this thing is so overlooked. It's an extra damage a turn in most Warlock builds. Honestly you need to be slapping curses down like it was going out of fashion anyway and you might as well make that Ghoul Rot a little nastier. What I like most is it just gives your opponent no rest at all. They HAVE to get rid of even the smallest curses or you're just going to whittle them down. It lets the Warlock play a little of the damage attrition game the Necromancer plays so well.

5. Mage Staff. There are a lot of good weapons in Mage Wars. Funnily enough my favorite is probably the simplest. It's just a magic glowing stick honestly. But it DOES do Ethereal damage and it DOES have reach so right there you take care of Incorporeal and Flying creatures both of which are a pain especially for new players.

4. Elemental Wand. Yeah yeah wands get Dissolved like nobodies business but they ARE handy to have. I play a Beast Master and thus am not trained in any elements. Thus I got very limited space in my book for attack spells. I can't afford NOT to be able to play the range game at least a little so yeah Acid Ball on an Elemental Wand happens a lot.

3. Veterans Belt. Critical damage sucks. I hate taking it, you hate taking it, we all do. You spend turns armoring the crap out of yourself and then boom none of it matters. So turn it into normal damage and actually get some use out of that mana you used to protect yourself.

2. Reflex Boots. Of course not taking damage in the first place is also awesome. I mean ideally the best defense is not to get hit right? Again I play a Warlord and the rune that helps me dodge gets played on this every time(yeah I use the Defense Ring too.) Opponents hate when you dodge out of the way of their Hurl Boulders and what not so it's really a no-brainer.

1. Regrowth Belt. What? I play a Beast Master primarily. What'd you expect Bearskin? Healing is NICE. Healing without having to spend an action is VERY NICE. You're mage is going to get hurt if they mix it up close and personal so you might as well take care of the minor cuts and scrapes as best you can. Yes it's the #1 target for Dissolve and yes it's the #1 reason my opponents carry Poison Blood but it's still the best investment for my mana in my opinion.

• Favourite Mage: Straywood Beastmaster
What we must all remember is no matter the game we were all newbies at one point.

iNano78

• Ambassador
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 4
  • Playing face-to-face in Ottawa again soon
    • View Profile
    • Ottawa/Gatineau Mage Wars (FB group)
Re: Top 10 Equipment Cards.
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2015, 01:21:54 PM »
Tom did a "top 10" for each card type.  You can find all the videos on BGG:
https://boardgamegeek.com/videos/thing/101721/mage-wars

P.S.  Your post unashamedly favours Beastmaster equipment - which is fine.  My immediate reaction "top 7's" off the top of my head (at each of the BGG pages) are definitely skewed towards Dark mages. ... But I still can't see how you can rank Reflex Boots higher than Dancing Scimitar.  The Scimitar does most of what the Boots do, but at a lower mana cost, and it gives you a free attack every round that you don't use the defense.  OK, the defense is melee only, and there's an upkeep +1... but it's easily worth the upkeep for an extra 3-dice attack.  And it doesn't take up an equipment slot, allowing you to go with Leather or Eagleclaw Boots. It's not just for Forcemasters.  Anybody who intends to get involved in melee should consider a Dancing Scimitar (e.g. some Warlocks, some Warlords, etc).
« Last Edit: March 27, 2015, 04:36:11 PM by iNano78 »
  • Favourite Mage: Salenia Forcemaster

silverclawgrizzly

• Charlotte Mage Warrior
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2015, 04:56:41 PM »
Well I sort of stated I'm giving my bias list based on what I play, so yes I know it favors Beast Master ;D

In terms of why I ranked the Scimitar where I did....again I stated it's based on what I personally play and I don't play a Force Master and don't really use the Scimitar.

Again my views and I welcome yours.
What we must all remember is no matter the game we were all newbies at one point.

Schwenkgott

• Thunderdome
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2015, 05:29:38 PM »
I don't know Tom Vassal but just watched some of his Top10 videos and i notice: At least 3 cards of his top 10 (various categories) are on my list of never played cards, not even in fun builds, because they are just not effective.

But thats my opinion and one of the good sides of Mage Wars. If everyone would be my opinion, playing the game would be boring because i would always know what to expect.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2015, 05:31:14 PM by Schwenkgott »
Akiro, I have never prayed to you before. No one will remember if we were good men or bad. Why we fought, or why we died. All that matters is that one stood against many. That's what's important! Valor pleases you, Akiro... so grant me strength! And if you do not listen, then to HELL with you!

iNano78

• Ambassador
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 4
  • Playing face-to-face in Ottawa again soon
    • View Profile
    • Ottawa/Gatineau Mage Wars (FB group)
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2015, 06:16:57 PM »
I don't know Tom Vassal but just watched some of his Top10 videos and i notice: At least 3 cards of his top 10 (various categories) are on my list of never played cards, not even in fun builds, because they are just not effective.

But thats my opinion and one of the good sides of Mage Wars. If everyone would be my opinion, playing the game would be boring because i would always know what to expect.

Tom Vasel has probably played more different board games (mainly for review purposes) than any other person on the planet... which means he generally doesn't have a whole lot of time for repeat plays of competitive and/or "lifestyle" games (e.g. games that require dozens if not hundreds of plays to really do them justice).  On the other hand, a lot of people value his recommendations over anything else (including common sense), so if he says a game is good, that's a very good thing for the publisher of that game.  He ranks Mage Wars very highly in his annual "Top 100 Games of All Time."

Slightly off topic, but in my experience, if a board game is on Kickstarter, it needs one of two things to be ridiculously successful (e.g. > 1000% funded):
- a glowing preview by Tom Vasel, and/or
- lots of plastic miniatures, preferably including some that represent scantily clad women.

sIKE

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 18
  • Ugh
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2015, 08:34:14 PM »
- lots of plastic miniatures, preferably including some that represent scantily clad women.
Oh! Bejeuses don't get that crowd started please......
  • Favourite Mage: Malakai Priest

Sailor Vulcan

• Secret Identity: Imaginator
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2015, 09:32:48 PM »

Oh! Bejeuses don't get that crowd started please......

Too late...

Sexists! Righteous indignation FTW!

I suspect that part of why it's so hard to stop people from getting into fights over this topic is because we all know that the people who complain about the sexism are right.
I am Sailor Vulcan! Champion of justice and reason! And yes, I am already aware my uniform is considered flashy, unprofessional, and borderline sexually provocative for my species by most intelligent lifeforms. I did not choose this outfit. Shut up.

Lord0fWinter

• Warden of the North
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 7
  • www.magewars.weebly.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2015, 11:44:22 PM »
Back on topic... here is my list. These are my top 10 favorites, not top 10 best equipment cards.

10) Veteran's Belt - I use this less now because Acid Ball has become more popular but this used to be a staple in armor stacking builds. It still is but increased use of Acid Ball has limited its value.

9) Dancing Scimitar - As already mentioned, this card is great. Free attack or defense, autonomous. It's great.

8 ) Cloak of Shadows - Lets my Dark Mages stay out of range so much better.

7) Lash of Hellfire - Great weapon for Warlocks. Enough said,

6) Dragonscale Hauberk - Great defense AGAINST Warlocks (and Wizards). Arguably most essential armor card in the game.

5) Mage Wand - Aka Teleport Wand, Force Push Wand, Sleep Wand, whatever. However you want to do it, this card's versatility is amazing.

4) Meditation Amulet - Don't always use this but when I do, it really helps power my spawnpoints, Especially with the Necro, Druid and Priestess.

3) Elemental Cloak - The reason the Hauberk is only arguably the most essential piece of armor is because of this card. One less armor but better against various elemental spells, not just fire.

2) Harshforge plate - I love this card. Autoinclude for any War Mage. It's just amazing. 2 armor to help you and costing your opponents mana when they target you with enchantments/incantations. Just great.

1) Libro Mortuos - Necro is my favorite Mage so his signature equipment just had to be my favorite.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2015, 12:19:55 AM by Lord0fWinter »
  • Favourite Mage: Darkfenne Necromancer
Visit my Mage Wars blog at www.magewars.weebly.com, also check me out on facebook at https://www.facebook.com/MageWarsBlog and on twitter at @MageWarsBlog

baronzaltor

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 19
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2015, 02:41:54 PM »
Notably missing from top 10 lists=

Leather Boots/Gloves- At 2 mana and Novice, these are the most cost efficient defensive Equipment in the game.  They fit in almost any spellbook, they have fantastic synergy with things like Vet Belt, Voltaric Sheild or Forge Hammer.   Im not sure the last time I made a book that didnt run at least 1 of these two.  They are cheap, effective, and quite often an opponent isnt going to spend a valuable Dissolve to take away your 2 mana, 1 spellpoint to strip your Leathers. 

Enchanters Ring-  Do you have more than 2 Enchantments in your book?   Do you use block, nullify, creature buffs, decoy, enchantment transfusion, healing charm, or anything along those lines?   Then you benefit from Enchanters Ring.   You would be hard pressed to run a book that doesnt end up saving respectable mana by running Enchanters Ring, especially in tandem with other mage's "caster" rings.   As a perk, its one of the few "or" spells in the game so no matter what mage you are running its never going to cost triple spell points.  (unless some weird mage pops up with triple cost Arcane AND Nature)

Demonhide Armor-  Somewhat mitigated due to its Dark Mage only status, but in my opinion its the best Chestplate in the game next to Harshforge.   Protection from elements is covered well enough in Elemental Cloak in tandem with other defenses/armor, rather than overstack elemental protection (which can be less useful against a rounded opponent or totally useless against the wrong opponent), I much perfer Armor+Critical Barrier.  Its useful against weenie swarms, its very useful against pierce-less, but resilent zombies and helps give your mage a damage edge in a slugfest.  It also adds more "bleed damage" to books based on sapping your opponent down from curses, burns and direct damage.

Personal Honorable Mentions:
Crown of Protection-  Yeah..1 spellpoint, 1 mana, unlimited 2 mana castings of "diet rhino hide" on your units. 

Morning Star/Vorpal Blade- Alongside Mage Staff as great cost-to-effect weapons

Supression Cloak- Gross.

Sunfire Amulet- Worth mentioning, but kinda costly for some books.

Spiked Buckler- Just a promo still, but my favorite "melee defense" equipment.  Pesky combo with Dancing Scimitar.

Galvatar- Only one mage can use it, but its one of the best weapons in the game for pure aggression coupled with a crowd control option.

Sectarus- Mainly included because its one of my personal favorites, its hard to be considered a true top 10 because of how costly it is and how vulnerable it is without investing in extra protection just for it.. but its also a "must destroy" item that can become quite a game changer over just a few rounds.  One of my personal favorite cards to date.

And, as mentioned, Dancing Scimitar is one of the best most rounded Equipment items in the game.. its worth it to drop in almost any spellbook. 

sdougla2

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 19
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2015, 03:20:40 PM »
While Suppression Cloak is strong, it's actually my least favorite piece of equipment.

ringkichard

• Flightless Funpire
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 18
  • Kich, if you prefer.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2015, 03:39:47 PM »
Suppression Cloak is just as fun as most other cards, it's just that the controller alone gets both rations of enjoyment.
I can take the fun out of anything. It's true; here, look at this spreadsheet.

sdougla2

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 19
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 28, 2015, 09:39:22 PM »
I find Suppression Cloak relatively boring to play with, and actively frustrating to play against.

DaveW

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 28, 2015, 09:56:14 PM »
I find Suppression Cloak relatively boring to play with, and actively frustrating to play against.

It's really nice to have when playing against many creatures, but against solo or buddy builds the opposing mage tends to have the mana available when not casting to attack you directly. You sometimes have to add other forms of mana denial to get effective use out of it. Even so, I found this cloak to be a lightning rod for Dissolves. I always find it a tough choice between this one and the Elemental Cloak when setting up a Wizard. I've never taken both in the same book, but maybe I should think about that more.

I personally like those equipment spells that add choice to what you can do during a turn. Any kind of wand is good for this, Helm of Command is pretty cool (Warlord only and command spells only, but still just 4 mana to cast), for example. Also... I can't wait for the Tome to come out... give me an extra Dispel, Seeking Dispel, Dissolve, Teleport, etc. to use in an emergency and I'm in heaven as a Wizard.
  • Favourite Mage: Asyra Priestess

sdougla2

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 19
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 29, 2015, 12:30:30 AM »
I don't like mana denial as a strategy because I find it frustrating and boring... So I dislike Suppression Cloak.

silverclawgrizzly

• Charlotte Mage Warrior
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 29, 2015, 12:41:02 AM »
I find Suppression Cloak to be a main reason Hurl Boulder is so much fun. "Ok I won't melee you...."