April 19, 2024, 04:38:55 PM

Author Topic: Help improve the OCTGN module with Spell Rulings and Clarifications  (Read 4246 times)

ACG

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 5
    • View Profile
Time for another OCTGN crowdsourcing project. For other ways to help improve the OCTGN module, see the following thread:

http://forum.arcanewonders.com/index.php?topic=15204.0

Please read the following before posting:

One of the new features for the upcoming release of the Mage Wars OCTGN module allows a player to click on a spell and get a list of all rulings and clarifications for that spell.

For example, suppose you are confused about whether Blue Gremlin needs LOS to the zone to which he is teleporting. You can now simply click on Blue Gremlin and obtain that ruling (He doesn't), without having to open another window or get out your rules supplement or do anything else. The objective here is to reduce the rules burden on players, especially new players.

Here is where you come in. There are a lot of niche rules cases in Mage Wars, and the dev team has enough on its plate already without searching for these. We have already included everything from the official rules supplement, so we now ask for your help locating obscure rulings that are not covered in any of the official sources.

Unlike the previous crowdsourcing project, you do not need to do any formatting here; just post the ruling that you want us to include in the OCTGN module's database, and we will add it. If you can include a concise, clear phrasing of the ruling, that will be even more helpful to us. It is also helpful (though not required) if you can include a link to the post in which the ruling was clarified.

Some guidelines:
- Do not post rulings that are covered in an official Mage Wars rule document. We have those already. We are looking for rulings scattered about this or any other forum (such as BGG).

- It would be helpful, but is by no means required, if you can link the post where the ruling was given and/or summarize the ruling clearly and concisely.

- Rulings should be on the mechanics of specific spells, not on broader game mechanics. So each ruling should pertain to a specific spell. Please specify to which spell the ruling applies.

Admins, it would be helpful to get this post stickied; it can function as a long term location for players to submit rulings they want added to the module.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2015, 10:47:38 AM by ACG »

echephron

• Player
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
  • The finest in mage wear...
    • View Profile
Re: Help improve the OCTGN module with Spell Rulings and Clarifications
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2015, 03:36:18 PM »
I suggest you comb through this one:

Forged in Fire expansion big list of questions
http://forum.arcanewonders.com/index.php?topic=14204.msg37405#msg37405
I don't have memorized what is not on the rules supplements. I think "goblin builder cant heal walls" is an example of something you are looking for(there is a link to that in the above). Also how the zone you were (teleport trap)ed out of may still hinder movement. Or how Daze does not apply to conjurations(i think?)

Especially since official rule supplements on forged and fire never came out to my knowledge. Make sure you add the rule supplements to the "mage stats" card, such as how demonic reward works. For months I thought demons only heal if they apply a burn marker.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2015, 03:46:48 PM by echephron »
  • Favourite Mage: Wychwood Druid

ACG

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2015, 07:13:26 PM »
Thanks, that gave a lot of material. All added to the clarifications now.

I may not always confirm that I have added material posted by the community, but rest assured that it is being seen and implemented.

lukard

« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2015, 09:29:13 PM »
I have a great suggestion for this topic, it would be great if we had a Wiki for Mage Wars. It would be a perfect format for what we are covering here.

We could have all spells and clarification for each spell, mechanic, mage card, you name it; furthermore, users would be able to easily update the content of the Wiki. Additionally, many Wikis come with useful features such as version control, watch list, and permission control.

Subsequently, the OCTGN Spell Ruling module could retrieve data from the Wiki as you already mentioned.

ACG

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2015, 07:17:17 AM »
Excellent idea. I think setting things up to allow the module to pull information from the wiki is probably possible as well; if that is the case, it would reduce the maintenance burden on the dev team by a lot.

The question then is where to host the wiki? If AW could do this, it would be very helpful.

In the meantime, of course, people should feel free to keep posting clarifications here.