April 29, 2024, 05:13:09 PM

Author Topic: Where are all the mage wars players!?  (Read 3728 times)

Sailor Vulcan

• Secret Identity: Imaginator
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
Where are all the mage wars players!?
« on: March 07, 2015, 09:30:28 AM »
I have been looking for mage wars players in my area for two years, ever since I started playing. I've asked on facebook quite a few times with no replies, I've looked on meetup, nothing there for miles and miles, I started a facebook group that no one's joining. I'm still able to demo people but it's a long process bringing new players to your level and people rarely want to give the game a chance anyway. I want to play against more challenging opponents in real life and don't want to have to wait all year for a convention to do it.

I live in central Ohio. By that I mean the actual central Ohio, not north-central Ohio. Origins has come and gone three times and it appears that I am the only active mage wars player in the entire area for miles and miles, or people simply aren't responding to my attempts to form a mage wars community in my area on every place I can and have attempted to do so so far. This forum is the only place I haven't tried. Either people are flat out ignoring me or I really am the only active mage wars player in all of central ohio. Both scenarios seem outlandish considering that origins has come and gone three times and mage wars is too good a game and arcane wonders too good a company to fail that drastically to establish a fanbase where their first convention was unless they were ridiculously extraordinarily unlucky.

Central Ohio mage wars players! Do you exist? If not why don't you? But if so why do you keep ignoring me!

THANK YOU
« Last Edit: March 07, 2015, 09:40:31 AM by Sailor Vulcan »
  • Favourite Mage: Salenia Forcemaster
I am Sailor Vulcan! Champion of justice and reason! And yes, I am already aware my uniform is considered flashy, unprofessional, and borderline sexually provocative for my species by most intelligent lifeforms. I did not choose this outfit. Shut up.

wtcannonjr

• Ambassador of Wychwood
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
    • WBC Mage Wars Tournament
Re: Where are all the mage wars players!?
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2015, 09:47:10 AM »
Try Boardgamegeek.com. The Mage War community appears to have new players joining. It also has a forum for finding new players by region of the country.

Also, have you tried recruiting players in person? Playing other board games with existing groups can introduce you to other players that have an interest in the magic/fantasy themes and don't mind combat style games. Then you might mention Mage Wars and offer to teach it to one or two friends. Having you act as coach for two new players might help for those people who enjoy more group style gaming.

Good luck.
  • Favourite Mage: Wychwood Druid
"Not everything that is faced can be changed, but nothing can be changed until it is faced." - James Baldwin

Sailor Vulcan

• Secret Identity: Imaginator
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2015, 10:14:18 AM »
Part of the problem might be that there are only two FLGS near me and one of them isn't reachable by bus and the other one I already tried demoing at and no one liked the game enough to continue playing it. Although that might be because I need to reach out more to the magic players. Problem is friday night magic goes really late and the bus stops running before midnight on weekdays. I can't afford to take a taxi all the time, they're expensive.

But even so, that doesn't account for why there appears to be no other active mage wars players already after origins has come and gone three times.

I will try board game geek. that's another place I haven't tried which I forgot about. Thank you!
  • Favourite Mage: Salenia Forcemaster
I am Sailor Vulcan! Champion of justice and reason! And yes, I am already aware my uniform is considered flashy, unprofessional, and borderline sexually provocative for my species by most intelligent lifeforms. I did not choose this outfit. Shut up.

wtcannonjr

• Ambassador of Wychwood
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
    • WBC Mage Wars Tournament
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2015, 05:24:10 PM »
Here is the other link to Midwest gaming groups on Boardgamegeek. You might find some players by participating in their meet ups.

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/forum/83/boardgamegeek/midwest

Also, you might have better luck with the general board gamers when Mage Wars Academy is published. This new product is meant for the casual gamer as an introduction to the Mage Wars game world. You should also look for war gamers and miniature gamers as they already enjoy deep conflict simulation games with mechanics and the rules needed to support a more simulated world.
  • Favourite Mage: Wychwood Druid
"Not everything that is faced can be changed, but nothing can be changed until it is faced." - James Baldwin

kiwipaul

• Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2015, 09:49:41 AM »
I would love a game but it is a bit far from Arnhem