March 29, 2024, 01:50:19 AM

Author Topic: Custom art for an arena Playmat  (Read 7515 times)

zorro

• Jr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
Custom art for an arena Playmat
« on: February 05, 2015, 02:53:22 AM »
Hi!

I'm looking for art for printing a Mage Wars playmat, in order to replace the game original board for another more-portable board.

I considered buying the official playmats from Arcane Wonders store... but shipping to Spain will cost more than the playmat itself, and i risk having to pay aditional cost due to spanish customs policy  >:(

Is there any image suitable for this? Having an official image would be great if there is one with enought resolution available (and if is considered fair to use it), but fan art too.

Official arena's images can be found at BGG - but not enought resolution for quiality printing (and not sure if it's proper to use them)
Selenia arena
Westlock arena

Also on BGG there are some fan art
Inferno arena

And some more fan art on BGG, for diferrent sized arenas
4x4 Mold arena
4x5 Forest arena
Modular temple

And finally, some more arenas here  -  but they are a bit abstract, i would like something more like the original arena.
Creative / Mage Wars playmats

Anyone know about more arena art?
  • Favourite Mage: Wychwood Druid

ACG

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 5
    • View Profile
Re: Custom art for an arena Playmat
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2015, 03:56:22 AM »
You speak of art, portability, and cost as concerns. Now, I realize that this will not help with your desire for alternative art, but if cost and portability are major concerns for you, there is an option that cannot be beat. Choose anything of a reasonable size (I have used all sorts of objects; it really doesn't matter. You could even use unused mage wars markers) and place one small object at each intersection of the board, like so:

+    +    +    +

+    +    +    +

+    +    +    +

(The objects are placed on the + signs) Then, it is easy to picture the zone border lines between the intersections you have marked. As a huge added bonus, you can easily increase the size of the zones by simply moving the intersection markers. You can also easily make different board configurations.

Again, I realize I am not directly answering your stated question, but I think you should consider options aside from board art. Players really don't spend that much time looking at the board (at the board itself, I mean; they care more about the cards on the board), and you will find that you do not miss it at all when it is gone.

zorro

• Jr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2015, 05:10:41 AM »
Thanks!

Yes, i already considered that: A pretty easy way to have a portable arena is using A4 blank (or printed) pages, each page divided by two so they are two zones. With just six blank papers you got an arena :) If you donĀ“t mind lacking the stylish art behind ;)

Sailor Vulcan

• Secret Identity: Imaginator
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2015, 07:22:04 AM »
Just make sure to use more visually appealing components (like the actual board) when teaching the game to others. They might not want to play if it doesn't look that cool.
  • Favourite Mage: Salenia Forcemaster
I am Sailor Vulcan! Champion of justice and reason! And yes, I am already aware my uniform is considered flashy, unprofessional, and borderline sexually provocative for my species by most intelligent lifeforms. I did not choose this outfit. Shut up.

zorro

• Jr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2015, 03:15:49 PM »
Yeah, for me having a nice looking arena (and other nice looking components) is an important part of game experience.  That's why I look for high quality alternatives ;-)