April 28, 2024, 10:37:27 AM

Author Topic: Is mage wars losing popularity?  (Read 81741 times)

V10lentray

• Member of Arcane Duels
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
Re: Is mage wars losing popularity?
« Reply #15 on: January 26, 2015, 02:39:41 PM »
As much as I love mage wars, I have zero interest in playing on OCTGN.

I really wish I had a local group that was willing to play.
  • Favourite Mage: Wychwood Druid

sIKE

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 18
  • Ugh
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 26, 2015, 03:07:34 PM »
As much as I love mage wars, I have zero interest in playing on OCTGN.

I really wish I had a local group that was willing to play.
I understand, I love playing IRL, but even my buddy that likes to play has too much on his plate (5 kids) to play it regularly. I travel for a living, so the last thing the wife and kids want, is for me to tromp off to a game store and play games for hours one end. OCTGN is the only way I can manage to sneak in the occasional game and even then it is not as much as I would like.
  • Favourite Mage: Malakai Priest

V10lentray

• Member of Arcane Duels
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 26, 2015, 03:28:01 PM »
Maybe if it was easier to use I would be more inclined to try it. But I just found it difficult.

And If I wanted to play online I wouldn't have invested so much in 2 sets of everything, 4 core sets, every single card sleeved in UltraPro sleeves, 2 play matts, 4 sets of mini dice...etc.

sIKE

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 18
  • Ugh
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 26, 2015, 05:16:39 PM »
and all of the promo's, different makers, and all of the spellbooks..im with you there fella! I like the war game planning and spellbook building greatly and at least with OCTGN that part doesn't change, though the players and the play styles do.

How long has it been since you tried playing on OCTGN out of curiosity? The module has had steady improvement over the last year is why I am asking.

V10lentray

• Member of Arcane Duels
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 26, 2015, 11:48:11 PM »
about 6-7 months ago.

isel

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 27, 2015, 02:39:55 AM »
For me magewars and  for many people around me have this problems:
-Duration of a game, normally 2 hours or maybe more, i had have games of 3 hours.
-the strategic of the game it´s very repetitive (battleforge and spawn point)
-Priest wiht the Guardian Angel, it´s very very strong, many of us thinks that this creature must be rewording, because many peolple use it to guard spawn point doing nearly indestructibles, and when you put two of them  you only must wait to have an army and your opponent its spending resources and you win. Maybe intercept creatures must have the Mage only trait, to avoid aberrations, an this angel heals when guard, i believe this must change to roll a die.
-lack of variety in several mages (i know that i said this before, sorry, but when any wizard have many types of creatures, druid have few plants creatures, and you can say, you have more nature creatures, true, but many people likes to play thematic mages, if you used an angel or demon in a plant mage, it´s not thematic) maybe designers can avoid this makin more creatures mage only. (i saw a necromancer with guardian angel, and that was very terrorific)
- a Spell to sustract traits would be very interesting
- Zone spells that give traits to attack as flame -2 or hidro+2 (a spell that summon a volcan in a zone, or rain)

I know that the game it´s younger, but lately there is a lack of pool, and for many people as me that only likes to play few mages this is a bit frustrating, see how the last mages are more powerfull (it´s a pain play new wrlock vs druid or any mage).

See you.

Boocheck

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 27, 2015, 06:02:11 AM »
Ola Isel :)

My lognest game was also 3 hours, it was Priestess vs Priestess but it was also my first game ;) My current games are about 90-120 minutes. Sometimes shorter (aggro vs aggro) and sometimes, very short (30 minutes).

If your current meta in your area is about Battleforge and Spawnpoints, did you try Hydro attacks? I mostly destroy BF with two attack spells.

Guardian angel is a good creature but not indestructible. I can tell.

Did you check on Raining Cloud? Do you get info about terrain spells which we will probably see in a near future? :)

Mostly, its not about mages but about players. My ass is still get cursed by curse warlock :)

• Favourite Mage: Bloodwave Warlord
I am one with the force, the force is with me! (Warlord is still my fav mage ;) )

isel

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 27, 2015, 08:40:52 AM »
Ola Isel :)

My lognest game was also 3 hours, it was Priestess vs Priestess but it was also my first game ;) My current games are about 90-120 minutes. Sometimes shorter (aggro vs aggro) and sometimes, very short (30 minutes).

If your current meta in your area is about Battleforge and Spawnpoints, did you try Hydro attacks? I mostly destroy BF with two attack spells.

Guardian angel is a good creature but not indestructible. I can tell.

Did you check on Raining Cloud? Do you get info about terrain spells which we will probably see in a near future? :)

Mostly, its not about mages but about players. My ass is still get cursed by curse warlock :)

Raining cloud its a promo card, i haven´t sorry, and normally we dont play with promo cards to avoid ballista and several promo cards that many people think that are overpowered, i hope raincloud would be release soon.

Laddinfance

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 27, 2015, 08:41:58 AM »
Raincloud is a promo that we're excited to have printed. We want it out there as soon as we can.

sIKE

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 18
  • Ugh
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 27, 2015, 10:45:02 AM »
-Priest wiht the Guardian Angel, it´s very very strong, many of us thinks that this creature must be rewording, because many peolple use it to guard spawn point doing nearly indestructibles, and when you put two of them  you only must wait to have an army and your opponent its spending resources and you win. Maybe intercept creatures must have the Mage only trait, to avoid aberrations, an this angel heals when guard, i believe this must change to roll a die.

I love the Priest, however Pushing and having more creatures than the Priest will reduce the effectiveness of the Angel. Planning combos the Mages Quick cast and a Creatures activation are most important in this scenario....

ozmo

• Playtester
  • Jr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 27, 2015, 10:58:27 AM »
At the end of the day, you should be playing the game that puts a fire in your belly, know what I mean?

I didn't know there was a game called "The Burrito Stand on the Corner".

Huh. Learn something new everyday.

Laddinfance

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 27, 2015, 01:04:11 PM »
At the end of the day, you should be playing the game that puts a fire in your belly, know what I mean?

I didn't know there was a game called "The Burrito Stand on the Corner".

Huh. Learn something new everyday.

I want to play "The Burrito Stand on the Corner" right now...

silverclawgrizzly

• Charlotte Mage Warrior
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 27, 2015, 01:28:42 PM »
Be VERY careful with Burrito Stand on the Corner my friends! Last night at work around 1am a friend randomly showed up and gave me two of Taco Bells new crunchy wraps. Do NOT I repeat do NOT each anything that combines bad mexican with hot n spicy Fritos at 1am! Those things were good but oh boy they fought back hard and had me getting a +2 Charge bonus to the bathroom in no time.

As for the Priestess/Guardian Angel combo. My roommate uses this strategy a lot. He's VERY good with it too in that he can adapt it and play several variations of it with one book. However here's how I've gained success over it in the past using my Straywood Beast Master and my Anvil Throne Warlord.

-Tanglevine the stinking angels and beat the crap out of them. They're not likely to dodge very well when restrained. I can put more Tanglevines in my book than he can angels.
-Cervere and other Elusive attacks don't care about the existence of angels.
-Usually Priestess will Enchant themselves to high heaven so Purge Magic the mage. They don't have the spell points for two of the good Nature enchantments most likely.

-You can kill a spawnpoint with an Akiros hammer and all an angel can do is watch and weep. They can't Intercept the big 8 dice attack that only targets Corporeal Conjurations.
-Pop the guard then have archers kill the now flying angel. Flying creatures can't be guarded and you get Sniper Shot dirt cheap as a Warlord.
-Dwarf Panzerguardes are the equal to Guardian Angels for the most part.

Now I've seen the Priestess book beaten with absurd ease with a Force Master enough times to know:

-Mass sleep puts and end to that crap fast!
-Mind Control lets your opponent learn the joy of putting up with an angel always guarding.
-Sleep on a Thoughtspore also deals with angels quickly.
-Invisible stalkers don't care about guards.

Average game for my friends and I is just under an hour. Sometimes as quickly as 20 minutes if things go terribly wrong for one mage or the other. Like oh I dunno when an Minotaur one shot kills me Thorg.....

• Favourite Mage: Straywood Beastmaster
What we must all remember is no matter the game we were all newbies at one point.

V10lentray

• Member of Arcane Duels
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 27, 2015, 01:40:42 PM »
-Tanglevine the stinking angels and beat the crap out of them. They're not likely to dodge very well when restrained. I can put more Tanglevines in my book than he can angels.

I keep at least one tangle vine in every book, and sometimes I even squeeze a Stranglevine in there.

Laddinfance

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 27, 2015, 01:41:22 PM »
Tanglevine is easily my favorite anti-intercept play.