April 27, 2024, 11:10:04 PM

Author Topic: Is mage wars losing popularity?  (Read 81738 times)

Sailor Vulcan

• Secret Identity: Imaginator
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
Is mage wars losing popularity?
« Reply #105 on: April 10, 2015, 11:51:20 AM »
hello , i am a french player and i am desesperate !!!

In french  ,  mage wars in french  has stopped by their distributor :/

no promotion , no event , in 6 month , Asmodee has stopped the distribution ..... of the core set , we haven t no traduction of Extention :/

then the  french forum continu to grothw but it s very hard with no help

for the festival in paris , " paris est ludique " i will organise some parties of mage wars , i hope interested some new players ,

if more players in Eu will attempt the same operation ,   i am sure to find more player for this fabulous game !!!

( sorry for my english )

Are you saying that the French mage wars forum continues to grow despite the lack of retailer support, or that it's stopped and will grow again if someone helps?

Also you don't need to apologize for your imperfect English any more than I have to apologize for not knowing French.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2015, 11:54:48 AM by Sailor Vulcan »
  • Favourite Mage: Salenia Forcemaster
I am Sailor Vulcan! Champion of justice and reason! And yes, I am already aware my uniform is considered flashy, unprofessional, and borderline sexually provocative for my species by most intelligent lifeforms. I did not choose this outfit. Shut up.

Toxziq

• Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
  • "Now... bring me that horizon..."
    • View Profile
    • Crits Happen
Re: Is mage wars losing popularity?
« Reply #106 on: April 10, 2015, 01:38:01 PM »
hello , i am a french player and i am desesperate !!!

In french  ,  mage wars in french  has stopped by their distributor :/

no promotion , no event , in 6 month , Asmodee has stopped the distribution ..... of the core set , we haven t no traduction of Extention :/

then the  french forum continu to grothw but it s very hard with no help

for the festival in paris , " paris est ludique " i will organise some parties of mage wars , i hope interested some new players ,

if more players in Eu will attempt the same operation ,   i am sure to find more player for this fabulous game !!!

( sorry for my english )

We're working with Asmodee to rectify this.  Their company, Marabuntu, announced late last year they wouldn't continue it, but that public news announcement was the first we had heard.  We've engaged Asmodee and are working with them to determine the best options for them, us, and our fans.  Being as transparent as possible, the biggest challenge has been lack of marketing in France and the lack of sales.  Both we want to change as we work with Asmodee to better the situation.
  • Favourite Mage: Anvil Throne Warlord

steack

• Playtester
  • Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
    • http://magewarsfr.forumactif.org/
« Reply #107 on: April 11, 2015, 09:08:39 AM »
 ;D For the momment ,the french forum leave and we have the necessary for continu to game ^^  ,

we have traducted mentalist vs warlord and some description for other extentions ,  and we have multiplied parties on octgn .

i hope asmode retry the distribution of mage wars but the hardcore game is not their specialities .

if it s conserve the same promotion strategy  it will  very hard :/

• Favourite Mage: Bloodwave Warlord

exid

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 4
  • The longer the better!
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: April 11, 2015, 12:06:37 PM »
+1 for steak from geneva!
(trying to understand the us cards with my bad english)

fas723

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: April 11, 2015, 07:21:00 PM »
Thank you Scott for replying to my question of your European view.
I can really understand that it is a lot more expensive to arrange something in Eu compared to more local stuff in the Us. My take on your reply is that AW has taken a corporate decision that you won't make an overall profit / gain (additional sales, increased marketing value, or expanded player pool) by making such trips / efforts / promotion. Correct? Becuaes if it would have it would have been a good investment, right?

I really hope you will revise this in the future when more funds are available. As I wrote in a post further up in this topic I'm not too imprest by the work done in this aspect by your partners over in Eu. AW would have done a much better job them self's with more passion. Hopefully you will have the opportunity to hire someone based in Eu to to this.

While I'm already writing I must also state my comment again regarding different translations. Too me I can't really see the gain doing this... This in my view could be money spent in a better way (like going to EU for example). The players you are targeting will for sure play Mage Wars with the original language. That is what all of us others are doing that is not French, German or Spanish (or English by the way) native speaking. To demand this, and take time and money from AW from your development of more expansions or simply be able promote the product more, is just to be spoiled. There are no Dutch, Sweds or Poles who are asking for this what I can see. I believe you won't translate into these languages as well, are you?

Again thanks for your reply and keep up the good work. Mage Wars deserves it. And I'm sorry if my comments sound a bit hard or not complete. English isn't my native language either...

Toxziq

• Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
    • Crits Happen
« Reply #110 on: April 11, 2015, 09:56:03 PM »
Thank you Scott for replying to my question of your European view.
I can really understand that it is a lot more expensive to arrange something in Eu compared to more local stuff in the Us. My take on your reply is that AW has taken a corporate decision that you won't make an overall profit / gain (additional sales, increased marketing value, or expanded player pool) by making such trips / efforts / promotion. Correct? Becuaes if it would have it would have been a good investment, right?

I really hope you will revise this in the future when more funds are available. As I wrote in a post further up in this topic I'm not too imprest by the work done in this aspect by your partners over in Eu. AW would have done a much better job them self's with more passion. Hopefully you will have the opportunity to hire someone based in Eu to to this.

While I'm already writing I must also state my comment again regarding different translations. Too me I can't really see the gain doing this... This in my view could be money spent in a better way (like going to EU for example). The players you are targeting will for sure play Mage Wars with the original language. That is what all of us others are doing that is not French, German or Spanish (or English by the way) native speaking. To demand this, and take time and money from AW from your development of more expansions or simply be able promote the product more, is just to be spoiled. There are no Dutch, Sweds or Poles who are asking for this what I can see. I believe you won't translate into these languages as well, are you?

Again thanks for your reply and keep up the good work. Mage Wars deserves it. And I'm sorry if my comments sound a bit hard or not complete. English isn't my native language either...

Foreign translations, in general, cost our time more than money.  That said, not even time vs a schedule, but time in just the amount of work on someone's shoulders here at the company.  Depending on the relationship, games can be either licensed to a partner to print in their language, with them providing us a royalty, or, we can print them, and sell them to the partner at a highly discounted rate for them to distribute, but with enough profit for us as well.  There are also many locations that perfer local language for games over English, and this helps build the market and playerbase in those areas.  At the moment, Dutch and Sweedish are not being discussed, but Polish is, to potentially be added.

Overall though, the most work that licensing a game puts on a company like ours is from an operations standpoint, and it doesn't impact the design team as nothing changes in the design of the game.

We get much more feedback than is seen online at our customer service and sales emails and I can tell you the languages we choose to partner to produce are in demand.  We wouldn't be making those decisions to partner with other publishers to bring them out if we didn't think they had the opportunity to improve the game's reach and player base while being a profitable decision.

I full agree with you about the passion for marketing the games.  We believe we could do more and do better.  It is something I've brought up to all our partners in all the regions we work with.  Since the partners are investing the majority stake (usually both in time and money), they prefer to maintain marketing control, with our input and guidance.  We provide assets and suggested messaging and tone, however, we look to the partners to know the best outlets to market in.  Marketing a game is a long run and not a short sprint, and making knee jerk reactions can be worse for the wear in most cases.  That said, every relationship is different and we try to evaluate as much, and as often, as we can.

I'm sorry if you took my reply as investing money in Europe is a bad investment.  That was not the intent.  It is simply that we have a limited budget and as a small company we need to spend it where we can maximize the impact and profits to grow, and as we grow, make decisions that impact a broader range.

Again, we will have Ambassadors helping us promote the game at UKGE and Essen this year.  If anyone has other large conventions they feel we could work with in Europe to hit as well, we'd love to hear from you where the players are, where the opportunities are, and what those conventions are.  We're always happy to explore opportunities when and where they may present themselves.

exid

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 4
  • The longer the better!
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: April 12, 2015, 12:40:12 AM »
Language is one part of the problem.
After years, a lot of french players decided to by the orioginal cards, it's hard work to understand but we didn't want to wait and wait for a hypothetical translation...
How many more french players would start MW with a translation and good addvertising? I don't know (children? players who choosed spanish or german before english at school? players who prefered play than go to school?...). I heard the french core set didn't get sold well, it was perhaps to late.

I don't have time to go to organised events, so it's not very important for me.

What is, is that MW cards can be find in game shops, with well informed people there. And that is not the case yet.

steack

• Playtester
  • Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
    • http://magewarsfr.forumactif.org/
« Reply #112 on: April 12, 2015, 02:21:36 PM »
After years, a lot of french players decided to by the orioginal cards, it's hard work to understand but we didn't want to wait and wait for a hypothetical translation...
How many more french players would start MW with a translation and good addvertising? I don't know (children? players who choosed spanish or german before english at school? players who prefered play than go to school?...). I heard the french core set didn't get sold well, it was perhaps to late.

What is, is that MW cards can be find in game shops, with well informed people there. And that is not the case yet.

we has two problem with mage wars in france , no publicity and great problem for see the first french core set ( fret problem , dismiss of project manager .... , Asmodée has sent the box in august just before the school begin :/ and after 3 moths with no comunication , some shops has received a phone call for attempt to make promotion for this game , but all shop has make their ideas , ( too longer , too complete , etc ...) and the quality was not the same of us Core set ..... then normal , these shops has refuse to make demonstration for this game , and in bigining of junuary , we 's received a message , mage wars is stopped ans there are non extention in french , hard to interested french people who prefer a french card ( french people loves their tong ^^)

Mr Arcane Wonder why ask at your ambassador to translate your card ? your ave the mostly idea of the time , with us participation mage wars is not only your game , its us game , And if you have already the traslation for your distributor  you economise time and € ^^

i am sure its possible
  • Favourite Mage: Bloodwave Warlord

Toxziq

• Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
    • Crits Happen
« Reply #113 on: April 12, 2015, 07:08:02 PM »

we has two problem with mage wars in france , no publicity and great problem for see the first french core set ( fret problem , dismiss of project manager .... , Asmodée has sent the box in august just before the school begin :/ and after 3 moths with no comunication , some shops has received a phone call for attempt to make promotion for this game , but all shop has make their ideas , ( too longer , too complete , etc ...) and the quality was not the same of us Core set ..... then normal , these shops has refuse to make demonstration for this game , and in bigining of junuary , we 's received a message , mage wars is stopped ans there are non extention in french , hard to interested french people who prefer a french card ( french people loves their tong ^^)

Mr Arcane Wonder why ask at your ambassador to translate your card ? your ave the mostly idea of the time , with us participation mage wars is not only your game , its us game , And if you have already the traslation for your distributor  you economise time and € ^^

i am sure its possible

We do not have any other items translated in French other than the Core Set but are working with Asmodee about expansions.  It may not be Marabunta that does it, but we're trying to fix that issue in France. 

fas723

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: April 15, 2015, 03:43:14 AM »
Thanks again Scott for your replies and commitment.
I think by just looking at the amount of posts and views in this thread that this is a burning topic. I would really appreciate if AW could give some regular status update in the subject for us players to feel comfortable in.

I'm really glad to hear you have EU in mind and that you have active plans for the future to grow faster in this market. I could just wish for it to go faster since we all love MW so much!
Thank again!

Sosteph

• Playtester
  • New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: May 17, 2015, 11:17:03 AM »
Hello

Have you some news for Mage wars in France?

Toxziq

• Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
    • Crits Happen
« Reply #116 on: May 18, 2015, 01:27:51 PM »
Hello

I'm sorry, but the news at the moment is "there's no news".  It's moving slower than anyone would like to be direct.

Sailor Vulcan

• Secret Identity: Imaginator
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
Is mage wars losing popularity?
« Reply #117 on: May 05, 2016, 09:27:35 AM »
Hello

I'm sorry, but the news at the moment is "there's no news".  It's moving slower than anyone would like to be direct.

Is there still no news on this? It's been a whole year!

Also, both the Mage Wars community on OCTGN and this forum are practically ghost towns now! Mage Wars activity on OCTGN has slowed to a crawl. Where once upon a time you could find 6-8 Mage Wars players on OCTGN at a time, now you'd be lucky to find more than 2. The only times there are more are when people are watching a tournament game or playing other games besides Mage Wars.

There seems to be only like 1, maybe 2 new threads posted on here each week. Sometimes not even that.

Does Arcane Wonders have a strategy for actually fixing this problem? If so what is it?

It feels like this game is dying.
  • Favourite Mage: Salenia Forcemaster
I am Sailor Vulcan! Champion of justice and reason! And yes, I am already aware my uniform is considered flashy, unprofessional, and borderline sexually provocative for my species by most intelligent lifeforms. I did not choose this outfit. Shut up.

Coshade

• Arcane Duels Host
  • Administrator
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 6
    • View Profile
    • Arcane Duels!
« Reply #118 on: May 05, 2016, 10:50:28 AM »
Hello

Is there still no news on this? It's been a whole year!

Also, both the Mage Wars community on OCTGN and this forum are practically ghost towns now! Mage Wars activity on OCTGN has slowed to a crawl. Where once upon a time you could find 6-8 Mage Wars players on OCTGN at a time, now you'd be lucky to find more than 2. The only times there are more are when people are watching a tournament game or playing other games besides Mage Wars.

There seems to be only like 1, maybe 2 new threads posted on here each week. Sometimes not even that.

Does Arcane Wonders have a strategy for actually fixing this problem? If so what is it?

It feels like this game is dying.

Most people are finishing up school, have large workloads, or are very busy. Mage Wars is doing fine, no need to spread fear mongering.
  • Favourite Mage: Malakai Priest

RomeoXero

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: May 05, 2016, 02:54:42 PM »
This actually happened a few months ago as well, right about the time borg dropped the new FM books he was making. I've seen the boards and the forums do this from time to time and it's really just a result of life. The folks who play this game also have jobs and homes and usually other people who rely on them for sustenance (children). We run a gamut here from 15 to 60 and there's a lot of different responsibilities for all those folks.
Activity here and on octgn entirely depends on us having the time to devote to it. I for one can only do this post because of how slow it is at work right now. We love this game but it is in fact just a game, and even if i can't play as much as i want to or post as many ideas as i used to, that doesn't mean we arent thinking about it. Keep heart guys is just a natural ebb and flow. In fact right after the last lull we got increased Arcane Duels activity and then the Mage Cast came out. As Coshade, were doing fine. It will pick up again soon
  • Favourite Mage: Wychwood Druid
I love this game. Its awesome!