April 28, 2024, 01:47:29 PM

Author Topic: Mage Wars Companion App - Feature Requests  (Read 63424 times)

Fly Molo

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
Re: Mage Wars Companion App - Feature Requests
« Reply #30 on: April 03, 2015, 12:02:36 PM »
Hi,

I've used the app a little more. I still think it's good but I do have some suggestions.

1. Implement a Change Deck functionality. Since the books can contain so many cards I tweak a book, I dont restart from scratch. So if I go in and delete and add a handful of cards there should be a screen that pops up telling you to Add: Card Y, 2 copies. Card X 1 copy Card Z 4 copies
Remove: Card A, 1 copies. Card B 3 copy Card C 2 copies

This would make tweaking decks a godsend. Otherwise I have to go through my entire book to see the difference between a newer book and the cards actually within the book.

2. Rules/Conditions: Just buy, hire, integrate MW Tools on Android. This does the codex and glossary super well and fast. 

3. I would also change the way your rules are written! There are too many entries that give a barebone explanation and say "look up X". Just put X at the bottom of this entry. I don't need to scroll around the entire rule book because you guys aren't consolidating all relevant info.

Otherwise, great app. Keep up the good work.

Hemlock

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 07, 2015, 10:30:03 PM »
I used the App for the first time last weekend to build some spellbooks. Overall, it was a good experience, and the recent update corrected some initial flaws in the App.

1. It would be nice to have a "save as" feature for the spellbooks, so you don't have to start every one from scratch. Sometimes you just want to tweak an existing spellbook, but keep the original intact.

2. I would also like to be able to pull up each Mage's reference card when creating the spellbooks. I couldn't remember what some specific abilities were, and it would have been very helpful to have had easy access to each Mage's card (less necessary but also nice would be the Mage's picture card).

3. Cards from the Promo Packs (which are available for purchase from the MW store) should be included in the App.

4. That said, I would also like the ability to add a "freeform text card", where I could type some notes and assign a value. As it stands now, if I want to use any cards not in the App, my spellbook total will not reach 120, and I might forget what I intended to do. If I had a blank card where I could type "Raincloud", and assign my own value for this card, I could then better manage those cards not currently included in the App. I could also use this blank card to leave notes for myself such as "remember to add curses" etc.

5. The text search function works fairly well, but doesn't facilitate searching by card type. Sometimes, I just want to look at all "Creatures" or "Equipment" without having to search by school.

Once you start inputting text in the search box, the related cards start appearing automatically. I don't see the purpose of the magnifying glass icon at the top of the column. Maybe this could be replaced with an icon that gives you direct access to the various Mage reference cards.

• Favourite Mage: Straywood Beastmaster

WTFGamer

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 10, 2015, 04:54:09 PM »
I went on the BGG@Sea cruise last month (lucky me!) and  I bought the Mage Wars Companion App to take with me instead of a book. I thought this would be a great way to muse about the mages and do a little spell book crafting. I was shocked to find there were no Mage descriptions to be found. (or am I missing something?)

I don''t play Mage Wars enough to know what each mage does. Finding a synergy for them in the spellbook creator was a key missing ingredient. Where are the runes the dwarf can create? Do I really need to have the physical mage cards on me when I try to use this app to book build? Please say it aint so and I'm just a dummy who missed where the info can be found.

Needless to say, I found something else to do with my downtime. (Had a full day in bed with food poisoning too.)

Hemlock

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 13, 2015, 09:10:55 AM »
Yeah,  having the Mage Picture Card & Mage Ability Card automatically appear as the first 2 items in each spellbook (adding zero to the total spellbook cost) would be very nice.     

fas723

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 22, 2015, 10:54:02 AM »
I have used the app since it came out now and there is one thing I would really like to see added to it.

When I create new books it is hard to always remember exactly the main idea with it a few weeks later. If there was a way to note this down it would be great! My thinking is that there is a "your five first turns field" in the app. There you can select the cards you plan to play for each turn. It should keep track of which order the card are planned to be played in, the mana spent/required, where your mage and creatures are positioned, and possibilities to add comments to each planned turn.

In this way I could much easier "try out" my books / openings.

Is there a planed patch for the app soon?

iNano78

• Ambassador
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 4
  • Playing face-to-face in Ottawa again soon
    • View Profile
    • Ottawa/Gatineau Mage Wars (FB group)
« Reply #35 on: April 22, 2015, 11:20:35 AM »
I have used the app since it came out now and there is one thing I would really like to see added to it.

When I create new books it is hard to always remember exactly the main idea with it a few weeks later. If there was a way to note this down it would be great! My thinking is that there is a "your five first turns field" in the app. There you can select the cards you plan to play for each turn. It should keep track of which order the card are planned to be played in, the mana spent/required, where your mage and creatures are positioned, and possibilities to add comments to each planned turn.

In this way I could much easier "try out" my books / openings.

Is there a planed patch for the app soon?

As an aside, I do this all the time in an Excel spreadsheet, calculating channeling, mana available, spent and carried over each round, including spawnpoints/familiars, etc.  Needs columns for spells cast during deployment, regular and quick-cast actions, familiar actions, etc.  Of course, doing this in Excel involves looking up the mana costs of cards here, which can be time-consuming.  Would definitely like to see this in an app - not to mention iPhone compatibility!
  • Favourite Mage: Salenia Forcemaster

Hemlock

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 22, 2015, 01:38:33 PM »
I also used the Tracker during a game recently, which I found to be very helpful.  It was easy to use, allowed both players to easily see the stats of both mages, and helped to ensure that mana used was actually recorded.  Also much less fiddly than having the bits in front of you.

As has been stated previously, it would be nice if you could set up a modifier that automatically adjusts the mage's damage score each round (such as healing from a Regrowth Belt, or additional damage from Rot).  This automated functionalty exists for mana, and having the same functionality for damage would be helpful. 

Erebus

• Jr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 22, 2015, 06:19:24 PM »
Will there ever be support for newer Android smartphones? I really want to use the app but I have no device that supports it.
"You see the great thing about madness is that it's all in your head."

Phillus

• Jr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 23, 2015, 06:42:48 AM »
Mobile Support?

fas723

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 16, 2015, 07:43:35 AM »
Used the tracker part of the app yesterday again.
- Total life is very small.
- Would be nice if remaining life could be shown.
- Rematch possibility.

When will a new patch be release? And from which date do you think Domination will be included?

Will there ever be support for newer Android smartphones? I really want to use the app but I have no device that supports it.

Must be possible to find the apk with a simple google search. Otherwise I can upload it for you in a pm.

csaman

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: May 26, 2015, 02:10:44 PM »
Just purchased the app and the first thing I noticed is that the spellbook builder doesn't tell me how many of a specific card I have based on the sets I own.  This would be really helpful.

love the game and the app....working toward my first druid build.

bigfatchef

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: June 09, 2015, 12:07:58 PM »
I am starting to use the compamion app to build spellbooks, but I can't find a way to export complete books. I usually print working books i created in octgn via word on a card-sized layout. That way I can put them to the game and play it on board without any need of electronics.

Is there a way to export spellbooks in any format?? If not, the App is worth only 10% for me...

Morkon

• Apprentice
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: June 14, 2015, 04:11:31 AM »
Any chance to see a Windows App or a release on Steam?

pete2

• Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: June 17, 2015, 06:03:59 AM »
Yeah,  having the Mage Picture Card & Mage Ability Card automatically appear as the first 2 items in each spellbook (adding zero to the total spellbook cost) would be very nice.   

this should really have been updated by now...this is just a basic need for every player to build a mage on the app...so please ? this remarkt has been posted over and over again !!!!
  • Favourite Mage: Wychwood Druid

C Savy

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: June 17, 2015, 12:34:03 PM »
Does the app have a library mode where you dont need to choose a mage? Mages limit the cards you can see. That or don't filter cards you can't use. People should be able to figure that out.