April 28, 2024, 05:44:58 PM

Author Topic: Zambies  (Read 4492 times)

Wildhorn

• Superior artificial brain, feel free to call me Blaine.
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
    • Mage Wars Quebec
Zambies
« on: December 23, 2014, 05:18:42 AM »
[spellbook]
[spellbookheader]
[spellbookname]Zambies[/spellbookname]
[mage]Necromancer[/mage]
[/spellbookheader]
[spells]
[spellclass]Conjuration[/spellclass]
[mwcard=mw1j19]1 x  Deathlock[/mwcard]
[mwcard=mw1j20]1 x  Sacrificial Altar[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MWSTX2FFJ01]1 x  Harshforge Monolith[/mwcard]
[mwcard=mw1j11]1 x  Idol of Pestilence[/mwcard]
[spellclass]Creature[/spellclass]
[mwcard=DNC23]6 x  Zombie Crawler[/mwcard]
[mwcard=DNC08]1 x  Unstable Zombie[/mwcard]
[mwcard=DNC03]1 x  Devouring Jelly[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MWSTX1CKC06]1 x  Guardian Angel[/mwcard]
[mwcard=DNC12]1 x  Shaggoth-Zora[/mwcard]
[mwcard=DNC09]1 x  Plague Zombie[/mwcard]
[mwcard=DNC22]4 x  Zombie Brute[/mwcard]
[spellclass]Enchantment[/spellclass]
[mwcard=MWSTX2FFE07]1 x  Rust[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MWSTX2FFE04]2 x  Brace Yourself[/mwcard]
[mwcard=mw1e09]2 x  Agony[/mwcard]
[mwcard=mw1e19]2 x  Ghoul Rot[/mwcard]
[mwcard=mw1e25]3 x  Maim Wings[/mwcard]
[mwcard=mw1e31]2 x  Poisoned Blood[/mwcard]
[mwcard=mw1e24]2 x  Magebane[/mwcard]
[mwcard=mw1e04]1 x  Chains of Agony[/mwcard]
[mwcard=mw1e29]2 x  Nullify[/mwcard]
[spellclass]Equipment[/spellclass]
[mwcard=mw1q23]1 x  Regrowth Belt[/mwcard]
[mwcard=DNQ05]1 x  Libro Mortuos[/mwcard]
[mwcard=mw1q15]1 x  Leather Boots[/mwcard]
[mwcard=DNQ02]1 x  Death Ring[/mwcard]
[mwcard=mw1q07]1 x  Elemental Cloak[/mwcard]
[mwcard=DNQ10]1 x  Meditation Amulet[/mwcard]
[mwcard=mw1q16]1 x  Leather Gloves[/mwcard]
[mwcard=mw1q18]1 x  Mage Staff[/mwcard]
[mwcard=mw1q05]1 x  Demonhide Armor[/mwcard]
[spellclass]Incantation[/spellclass]
[mwcard=DNI06]3 x  Zombie Frenzy[/mwcard]
[mwcard=mw1i06]3 x  Dispel[/mwcard]
[mwcard=mw1i07]3 x  Dissolve[/mwcard]
[mwcard=mw1i19]2 x  Piercing Strike[/mwcard]
[mwcard=mw1i24]1 x  Seeking Dispel[/mwcard]
[mwcard=mw1i18]2 x  Perfect Strike[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MWSTX2FFI06]1 x  Defend[/mwcard]
[mwcard=mw1i28]2 x  Teleport[/mwcard]
[/spells]
[cost]Total cost: 120 pts[/cost]
[/spellbook]

My current Necromancer spellbook. Pretty much standard stuff with couple unusual cards to deal with specific situations.

Normally, the opening will be Death Ring + Libro Mortis. On 2nd turn it will either be Shaggoth or Zombie Brute style depending if opponent seem to be heavy on control or not. I might drop an Idol if he seem to want to turtle and to trigger Bloodthirsty.

The Jelly is there to give me an edge if I face another zombie Necro.

The Angel + Defend is there to save my ass against very rushy opponent or heavy on ranged attack. It is pretty costly to have, but what is 10 SP if it allow you to not die?

Harshforge Monolith is there to obviously deal with enchantment stacking mages.

Sacrificial Altar allow me to make Plague Zombie to explode when I need it to (mainly vs a Forcefielded Forcemaster).

So far this spellbook gave me good results. It can deal with alot of situations while delivering good damage output.

Knabbmaster

• Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
Re: Zambies
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2014, 07:07:24 AM »
I would switch the guardian angel too a dwarf panzerguard the angel is just slightly better but it still three spellpoints.

I also suggest that you add either animate dead or ziggurat of undeath for a nice late game andvantage.

You didn't include cloak of shadows which I think is solid in these kind of books.

Personally I always include two walls in my builds because they can be used for so many different situations.

Lastly the zombie crawlers are useful but I don't think you should have six of them. They are sheep but you can't rely on their damage.

• Favourite Mage: Darkfenne Necromancer

Wildhorn

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
    • Mage Wars Quebec
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2014, 07:34:50 AM »
I would switch the guardian angel too a dwarf panzerguard the angel is just slightly better but it still three spellpoints.

I also suggest that you add either animate dead or ziggurat of undeath for a nice late game andvantage.

You didn't include cloak of shadows which I think is solid in these kind of books.

Personally I always include two walls in my builds because they can be used for so many different situations.

Lastly the zombie crawlers are useful but I don't think you should have six of them. They are sheep but you can't rely on their damage.

I prefer by far the Angel. Aegis can't be bypassed by Piercing. Flying can be useful to inder/attack flying units. The 2 hp healing make him last way longer than Panzerguard and it make him able to live even if Idol is out.

Most of times I find Cloak of Shadow "useless". I either do not cast it early enough and I get targeted anyway or opponent stick very closely to me and it become pointless since I am either at 0 or 1 range anyway.

Most of times Walls will inder myself. Yes they can be useful in some situation, but often my opponent will use it too to block LoS or run around to avoid zombies. So I prefer a clean arena.

Zombie Crawlers are Shoggat's food and they are nice to get out for 2 mana from Libro when I do not have mana for a bigger zombie. In 99% of my games I get at least 5 of them out.

I had Animate Dead in the book before, but I found out that I prefer to spend the mana on a real zombie than getting a damaged Slow creature that will maybe hit 1 time before the game is over.

V10lentray

• Member of Arcane Duels
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2014, 08:37:22 AM »
just a question, not a criticism because I hate playing against zombies -

Why no Mage Wands to attach a zombie frenzy to?

2 of my last 3 matches have been against Zombie swarm builds. The first I lost because I wasn't aggressive enough, early enough when playing my druid. I also found 3 cards in my book that didn't work as planned, so I swapped a few cards in my book.

The second time the resilient factor killed me when playing my skeleton necro, vs zombie necro. I had great rolls, just not critical damage. And I only had one hurl boulder (dumb mistake).

I think I want to also make a zombie build only because I hate the resilient. I think they really need to make either an equipment or something that gets around resilient. something that makes all damage 'critical damage' vs Resilient creatures.
  • Favourite Mage: Wychwood Druid

Wildhorn

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
    • Mage Wars Quebec
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2014, 09:33:41 AM »
just a question, not a criticism because I hate playing against zombies -

Why no Mage Wands to attach a zombie frenzy to?

2 of my last 3 matches have been against Zombie swarm builds. The first I lost because I wasn't aggressive enough, early enough when playing my druid. I also found 3 cards in my book that didn't work as planned, so I swapped a few cards in my book.

The second time the resilient factor killed me when playing my skeleton necro, vs zombie necro. I had great rolls, just not critical damage. And I only had one hurl boulder (dumb mistake).

I think I want to also make a zombie build only because I hate the resilient. I think they really need to make either an equipment or something that gets around resilient. something that makes all damage 'critical damage' vs Resilient creatures.

Because in my meta a Mage Wand rarely survive more than two rounds. So I prefer to be sure to have 3 frenzy than bind one to a wand and lose it the turn after.

And for your information, Corrode is the thing that get around resilient. Burn tokens too.

Schwenkgott

• Thunderdome
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2014, 10:04:14 AM »
You only need one Frenzy, because if you use it in the right moment, the game is won.
Akiro, I have never prayed to you before. No one will remember if we were good men or bad. Why we fought, or why we died. All that matters is that one stood against many. That's what's important! Valor pleases you, Akiro... so grant me strength! And if you do not listen, then to HELL with you!

Knabbmaster

• Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2014, 10:26:39 AM »
Not if you are playing against an opponent who is aware of what he is  doing.
  • Favourite Mage: Darkfenne Necromancer

Schwenkgott

• Thunderdome
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2014, 11:32:15 AM »
There are some requirements for Zombie Frenzy:

1) You need
a) a critical amount of zombies
b) up to 2 zones away

Critical amount means: You have to benefit from their attack more than just hurling a boulder at the enemy, meaning you should think at the next round too (maybe you have the initiative and are able to prevent the enemy from moving away from your zombies)

2) Your enemy must not be able to escape your frenzied zomies
a) by simply moving away one zone with his mage, so the distance to your zombies is more than 2 zones or
b) by placing a single wall, that blocks your zombies from reaching the target.

If you invest 9 Mana (8 with Ring) for a spell, you don't want to waste the mana.

Looking at the spell from the other side: When you have enough zombies for Zombie Frenzy to be effective, then you normally should not struggle to beat the enemy at all. So Zombie Frenzy in my eyes is more a game finisher than a spell that will gain you upper hand.
For that purpose one Zombie Frenzy spell should be enough.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2014, 12:37:34 PM by Schwenkgott »
Akiro, I have never prayed to you before. No one will remember if we were good men or bad. Why we fought, or why we died. All that matters is that one stood against many. That's what's important! Valor pleases you, Akiro... so grant me strength! And if you do not listen, then to HELL with you!

Wildhorn

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
    • Mage Wars Quebec
« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2014, 05:01:39 PM »
There are some requirements for Zombie Frenzy:

1) You need
a) a critical amount of zombies
b) up to 2 zones away

Critical amount means: You have to benefit from their attack more than just hurling a boulder at the enemy, meaning you should think at the next round too (maybe you have the initiative and are able to prevent the enemy from moving away from your zombies)

2) Your enemy must not be able to escape your frenzied zomies
a) by simply moving away one zone with his mage, so the distance to your zombies is more than 2 zones or
b) by placing a single wall, that blocks your zombies from reaching the target.

If you invest 9 Mana (8 with Ring) for a spell, you don't want to waste the mana.

Looking at the spell from the other side: When you have enough zombies for Zombie Frenzy to be effective, then you normally should not struggle to beat the enemy at all. So Zombie Frenzy in my eyes is more a game finisher than a spell that will gain you upper hand.
For that purpose one Zombie Frenzy spell should be enough.

That's what I thought too and only had 1 copy before. Then my opponent Divine Interventioned in the opposite corner and it was VERY long before my zombie could get back to him.

I find that spell to not be only a finisher. It is also useful to allow every zombies to hinder and guard.