April 25, 2024, 06:46:35 AM

Author Topic: Semi novice Johktari Beastmaster, any good?  (Read 14743 times)

Akul

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
Semi novice Johktari Beastmaster, any good?
« on: December 03, 2014, 03:07:38 AM »
Some time ago i started playing with my two friends, after a while i realised that Beastmaster suits me the best.

This friday i will play with this new spellbook, so i wandered if you as experienced players could give some insight/comment.

And sorry for spelling mistakes, English is not my native language, im from Croatia who by the way loves this game.

Cheers!

[spellbook]
[spellbookheader]
[spellbookname]Akul's Bestiary[/spellbookname]
[mage]Johktari Beastmaster[/mage]
[/spellbookheader]
[spells]
[spellclass]Attack[/spellclass]
[mwcard=FWA04]2 x  Hurl Boulder[/mwcard]
[spellclass]Conjuration[/spellclass]
[mwcard=mw1j13]2 x  Mana Flower[/mwcard]
[mwcard=mw1j10]1 x  Lair[/mwcard]
[mwcard=mw1j22]2 x  Tanglevine[/mwcard]
[spellclass]Creature[/spellclass]
[mwcard=mw1c37]2 x  Thunderift Falcon[/mwcard]
[mwcard=mw1c36]1 x  Tarok, the Skyhunter[/mwcard]
[mwcard=mw1c34]2 x  Steelclaw Grizzly[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MWSTX1CKC03]1 x  Galador, Protector of Straywood[/mwcard]
[mwcard=mw1c12]1 x  Emerald Tegu[/mwcard]
[mwcard=mw1c07]1 x  Cervere, The Forest Shadow[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MWSTX1CKC01]2 x  Bridge Troll[/mwcard]
[mwcard=mw1c04]1 x  Bitterwood Fox[/mwcard]
[spellclass]Enchantment[/spellclass]
[mwcard=mw1e36]2 x  Rhino Hide[/mwcard]
[mwcard=mw1e35]2 x  Reverse Magic[/mwcard]
[mwcard=mw1e34]2 x  Reverse Attack[/mwcard]
[mwcard=mw1e29]2 x  Nullify[/mwcard]
[mwcard=mw1e03]2 x  Bull Endurance[/mwcard]
[mwcard=mw1e02]2 x  Block[/mwcard]
[mwcard=mw1e01]2 x  Bear Strength[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MWSTX2FFE06]1 x  Lion Savagery[/mwcard]
[mwcard=mw1e21]1 x  Hawkeye[/mwcard]
[mwcard=FWE03]1 x  Falcon Precision[/mwcard]
[mwcard=mw1e05]1 x  Cheetah Speed[/mwcard]
[spellclass]Equipment[/spellclass]
[mwcard=MWSTX1CKQ01]1 x  Sunfire Amulet[/mwcard]
[mwcard=mw1q25]1 x  Ring of Beasts[/mwcard]
[mwcard=mw1q23]1 x  Regrowth Belt[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MWSTX1CKQ04]1 x  Reflex Boots[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MWSTX2FFQ06]1 x  Morning Star[/mwcard]
[mwcard=mw1q16]1 x  Leather Gloves[/mwcard]
[mwcard=mw1q15]1 x  Leather Boots[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MWSTX1CKQ02]1 x  Hunting Bow[/mwcard]
[mwcard=mw1q07]1 x  Elemental Cloak[/mwcard]
[mwcard=mw1q02]1 x  Bearskin[/mwcard]
[spellclass]Incantation[/spellclass]
[mwcard=mw1i28]1 x  Teleport[/mwcard]
[mwcard=mw1i14]1 x  Heal[/mwcard]
[mwcard=mw1i07]2 x  Dissolve[/mwcard]
[mwcard=mw1i06]3 x  Dispel[/mwcard]
[/spells]
[cost]Total cost: 120 pts[/cost]
[/spellbook]

Opening is classic... manaflower, lair, summon a fast low level creature to rush forward, then cast one item or boost for the creature (Bear Strenght or Rhino Hide).

The idea behind the spellbook is that i can deal with flying creatures via Tarok, Thunderift Falcon, Galador, Ivarium Longbow, Hurl Boulder, also to be protected with Nullify, Block, Reverse Magic, Reverse Attack while dealing damage from afar with bow and keeping enemy creatures at bay with my creatures.

I mostly have to deal with a Warlock and Priest which my friends favor.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2014, 09:03:23 AM by Akul »

sdougla2

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 19
    • View Profile
Re: Semi novice Johktari Beastmaster, any good?
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2014, 02:59:58 PM »
Your creature base is not very good for a Lair build. Bridge Trolls can't be played by the Lair at all, and Steelclaw Grizzly, Galador, and Cervere are too expensive to work that well with the Lair. You can run one or two, but you would be much better off skewing your creature base more towards level 1-3 animals.

2 Block, 2 Reverse Attack, 2 Nullify, and 2 Reverse Magic is too much. They're expensive to include, and once your opponent's realize how much you play that kind of thing, they can focus on efficiently countering those spells when they see you playing face down enchantments. Flameblast is particularly strong against Block/Reverse Attack.

For a Lair build, Group Heal may make more sense than Heal.

You have limited ability to deal with armor. Consider including some combination of Acid Ball, Rust, Tooth and Nail, and more Dissolves.

Mongoose Agility is the best enchantment for the Johktari Beastmaster. I would run at least 2 copies.

It looks like you should find a place for Enchanter's Ring if you want to use so many enchantments.

Marked for Death is a solid option for Lair builds.
  • Favourite Mage: Straywood Beastmaster

BoomFrog

• Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2014, 03:37:54 PM »
Enchanting low level creatures is a bad investment. You'd be better off enchanting yourself or cursing the enemy mage .

Reverse attack can be awesome, note that all unavoidable attacks are range 1 barring the rarely used sniper shot. Using 2 is ambitious but may work. Reverse magic isn't as good since most experienced opponents check for a nullify before caddying big spells.

I'd add akiro's favor if you have forged in fire. Then you can use and ball and jet stream reliably and it helps bow and melee attacks. Jet stream the enemy mage through a wall of thorns when they have 0 armor.

V10lentray

• Member of Arcane Duels
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2014, 03:59:07 PM »
One thing that I think people fail to understand about the JBM is her 2 abilities are counter intuitive.

She get a bonus for ranged attacks which is great because she is a hunter.  But she also has built in Fast, which goes completely against the range bonus since all range weapons require a full action.

It hasn't been posted yet. But you will understand more what I am talking about when we release episode 14 of Arcane Duels.
  • Favourite Mage: Wychwood Druid

Akul

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2014, 01:24:22 AM »
Thank you for the input guys... so to comment a few things:

1. Yep, i thought my creature base is rather expensive so i will shuffle it up a little, replacing some for lower level creatures.
I also have Macunda, Imperial Griffin and Dragonclaw Wolverine, should i pick one of them instead of Carvere, Emerald Tegu or Galador maybe?

2. Yes i have FiF, i am missing only DvN.

3. As V10lentray said, i understood the problem with fast trait, full action bows and ranged bonus the first time i played JBM, it felt weird, but i thought i could let fly some arrows, and later fast could be a nice addition for positioning around the map or getting away from danger.

One question... if i have at the same time Reverse magic and Nullify on me, which enchantment will be first triggered when the opponent attacks?

Could you take a minute and give your opinion on the revised spellbook

[spellbook]
[spellbookheader]
[spellbookname]Akul's Den[/spellbookname]
[mage]Johktari Beastmaster[/mage]
[/spellbookheader]
[spells]
[spellclass]Attack[/spellclass]
[mwcard=FWA04]2 x  Hurl Boulder[/mwcard]
[mwcard=mw1a09]1 x  Jet Stream[/mwcard]
[spellclass]Conjuration[/spellclass]
[mwcard=mw1j10]1 x  Lair[/mwcard]
[mwcard=mw1j13]2 x  Mana Flower[/mwcard]
[mwcard=mw1j22]2 x  Tanglevine[/mwcard]
[mwcard=mw1j03]1 x  Tooth & Nail[/mwcard]
[spellclass]Creature[/spellclass]
[mwcard=mw1c04]2 x  Bitterwood Fox[/mwcard]
[mwcard=mw1c12]1 x  Emerald Tegu[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MWSTX1CKC03]1 x  Galador, Protector of Straywood[/mwcard]
[mwcard=mw1c34]2 x  Steelclaw Grizzly[/mwcard]
[mwcard=mw1c36]1 x  Tarok, the Skyhunter[/mwcard]
[mwcard=mw1c37]2 x  Thunderift Falcon[/mwcard]
[mwcard=mw1c38]2 x  Timber Wolf[/mwcard]
[mwcard=mw1c07]1 x  Cervere, The Forest Shadow[/mwcard]
[spellclass]Enchantment[/spellclass]
[mwcard=MWSTX2FFE02]1 x  Akiro's Favor[/mwcard]
[mwcard=mw1e01]2 x  Bear Strength[/mwcard]
[mwcard=mw1e02]1 x  Block[/mwcard]
[mwcard=FWE03]1 x  Falcon Precision[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MWSTX2FFE06]1 x  Lion Savagery[/mwcard]
[mwcard=mw1e27]1 x  Marked for Death[/mwcard]
[mwcard=mw1e28]1 x  Mongoose Agility[/mwcard]
[mwcard=mw1e29]2 x  Nullify[/mwcard]
[mwcard=mw1e34]1 x  Reverse Attack[/mwcard]
[mwcard=mw1e35]2 x  Reverse Magic[/mwcard]
[mwcard=mw1e36]2 x  Rhino Hide[/mwcard]
[mwcard=mw1e32]1 x  Regrowth[/mwcard]
[mwcard=mw1e21]1 x  Hawkeye[/mwcard]
[mwcard=mw1e03]1 x  Bull Endurance[/mwcard]
[spellclass]Equipment[/spellclass]
[mwcard=mw1q02]1 x  Bearskin[/mwcard]
[mwcard=mw1q07]1 x  Elemental Cloak[/mwcard]
[mwcard=mw1q09]1 x  Enchanter's Ring[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MWSTX1CKQ02]1 x  Hunting Bow[/mwcard]
[mwcard=mw1q15]1 x  Leather Boots[/mwcard]
[mwcard=mw1q16]1 x  Leather Gloves[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MWSTX2FFQ06]1 x  Morning Star[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MWSTX1CKQ04]1 x  Reflex Boots[/mwcard]
[mwcard=mw1q23]1 x  Regrowth Belt[/mwcard]
[mwcard=mw1q25]1 x  Ring of Beasts[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MWSTX1CKQ01]1 x  Sunfire Amulet[/mwcard]
[spellclass]Incantation[/spellclass]
[mwcard=mw1i06]3 x  Dispel[/mwcard]
[mwcard=mw1i07]2 x  Dissolve[/mwcard]
[mwcard=mw1i13]1 x  Group Heal[/mwcard]
[mwcard=mw1i28]1 x  Teleport[/mwcard]
[/spells]
[cost]Total cost: 120 pts[/cost]
[/spellbook]

Thank you for the help guys!
« Last Edit: December 04, 2014, 07:19:36 AM by Akul »

ACG

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2014, 08:27:35 AM »
One question... if i have at the same time Reverse magic and Nullify on me, which enchantment will be first triggered when the opponent attacks?

Both will be triggered, and you decide which one occurs first. Obviously, you would only want to pay for one of them, so the other would be discarded without effect. Needless to say, it is usually a waste to enchant the same object with both of these at the same time.

wtcannonjr

• Ambassador of Wychwood
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
    • WBC Mage Wars Tournament
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2014, 04:01:49 PM »

Both will be triggered, and you decide which one occurs first. Obviously, you would only want to pay for one of them, so the other would be discarded without effect. Needless to say, it is usually a waste to enchant the same object with both of these at the same time.

You should double check both spells. I don't believe either one protects you from attacks. They protect against incantations and enchantments.
"Not everything that is faced can be changed, but nothing can be changed until it is faced." - James Baldwin

Coshade

• Arcane Duels Host
  • Administrator
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 6
    • View Profile
    • Arcane Duels!
« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2014, 04:51:07 PM »
Hey dude,

Love the build. The Johktari is one of my favorite mages in the game.

I am a little confused on your opening. You have a lot of economy plays, but I don't see you synching with a lot of your mid game cards. I would like to challenge you in your games to pull out the lair, 2 mana flowers, the enchanter's ring, the Ring of Beasts, and the sunfire amulet before feeling any pressure. I find a lot of times I have to cut down on my opening cards because I can't actually do all the things I want to.

I noticed you have a lot of equipment and enchantments. Personally I like to go a Battle Forge if I have leather boots and gloves because I find I never have the actions to cast them otherwise. While they are good cards in and of themselves I see you having a lot of problems casting them. If you are worried about armor I find that the Bearskin and Rhino Hide are enough for a Hunting Bow Johktari and it saves on the number of actions used for the leather combo.

Unless you use Redclaw I would suggest taking out the Bitterwood Foxes and replace them with Thunderift Falcons. For one extra mana you get the same stats plus flying. To give the Bitterwood Fox Flying it would cost as much as the creature itself in enchantments.

I would consider either more teleports or Force Pushes. If you opponent gets in your face a quick cast to move them one space is really nice to get the extra damage from your bow.

Otherwise it looks pretty solid to me!
  • Favourite Mage: Malakai Priest

Akul

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2014, 02:34:52 AM »

You should double check both spells. I don't believe either one protects you from attacks. They protect against incantations and enchantments.
I didnt think attack spell, i know they work for incantations an enchantments only. My phrase "attacks" was meant for attack via ench and inc.

@Coshade, you gave me some things to think about...
Battleforge is a good idea, and the comment about preasure is correct.

Sadly, i have only 2 falcons, i dont have Codex 1, othervise i would defenetly use them over foxes.

Thank you all for the input, all other comments are welcome.

What do you guys think of the Dragonclaw Wolverine? Would you swap it maybe for Galador, Carvere or one of the Grizlies?
« Last Edit: December 05, 2014, 07:30:22 AM by Akul »

V10lentray

• Member of Arcane Duels
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2014, 08:48:01 AM »

Sadly, i have only 2 falcons, i dont have Codex 1, othervise i would defenetly use them over foxes.

Buy a second Core Set, a much better bargain versus buying the 2 spell tomes.

Biblofilter

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 05, 2014, 01:46:50 PM »
What do you guys think of the Dragonclaw Wolverine? Would you swap it maybe for Galador, Carvere or one of the Grizlies?
[/quote]

You could try to bleed them to death.

Dire Wolf, Bloodspine Walls, Deathlock and maybe Thornlasher, Force Push/Jet Stream.

Finite Life and bleed could be really good vs a Priestress. (she can remove the bleeds but still)

Vs a Warlock id like something faster than your current build - more dispels (dispel wand?) nullifies and an enchanment transfusion

Reverse magic might be good vs a curse Warlock but its really expensive for you.

Id probably exchance Reverse Attack for Retaliate - could be good on a Grizzly or maybe Tarok. Its cheeper and optional.

Id have no problem cutting:
Tegu, 2 Wolfs and a Grizzly + Sunfire Amulet and 1 Reverse Magic.

With all that equipment youll need a Batlle Forge or cut down on it. (i think Coshade already pointed that out - but you havnt updated your spellbook with one)

Some of the Equipment uses the same slot: Hunting Bow/Elemental Cloak/Morning Star, Leather Boots/Reflex Boots so if you need the spellbookpoints for something else, you might cut something like that too.
"Töten". "Alles Töten".
Best strat advice ever

V10lentray

• Member of Arcane Duels
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 05, 2014, 02:02:45 PM »
Honey Badger is going to make an Awesome Pet!

Coshade

• Arcane Duels Host
  • Administrator
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 6
    • View Profile
    • Arcane Duels!
« Reply #12 on: December 05, 2014, 11:19:35 PM »
Biblo makes some good points.
I think if you choose to go with the Dragonclaw Wolverine you should give him some additional armor. The rage tokens are nice but getting to max, then getting a chance for the counterstrike will not be easy. I haven't tried him out myself yet, but he seems pretty neat.
  • Favourite Mage: Malakai Priest

sdougla2

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 19
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 06, 2014, 04:28:47 PM »
Don't cut Timber Wolves. If anything, add more.

As for the Wolverine, if you want to focus on a Bleed strategy I would probably go with 3 Dire Wolves and a Wolverine (and a pair of Poisoned Blood). Consider using Bull Endurance on the Wolverine to keep it alive without losing Rage. I don't normally like Bull Endurance as much as other options, but with the Wolverine adding armor or healing isn't nearly as efficient because of the way his rage ability works.
  • Favourite Mage: Straywood Beastmaster

reddawn

• Playtester
  • Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 06, 2014, 08:00:49 PM »
I don't think you really need the Morning Star or Reflex Boots; you could just use Falcon Precision and Cobra Reflexes for half the spellbook points and without taking up the boot slot, which you might need for Eagleclaw Boots or cheap armor access. 

If you're worried about getting blown out by Purge Magic, include an Enchanter's Wardstone. 

Steelclaws are good, but you might want to cut 1 for some more lower level creatures so you can make sure your Spawnpoint is providing extra actions consistently.  JBM works better with the more creatures you have anyway.

I would include a Staff of Beasts and one or two Call of the Wild.  The Staff in particular is better with JBM with her Fast, as it lets you provide bonuses to your smaller creatures without investing cards.  It also boosts her melee attack against Wounded Prey targets to 5 dice.  Imo, it's very underplayed for everything it does.

Call of the Wild is solid too and works better with more, rather than larger, animals.  It's a nice option to have, very inexpensive, and is especially useful when you might separated from your creatures.

TL:DR

-1 Relfex Boots
-1 Morning Star

+1 Staff of Beasts
+1 Cobra Reflexes
+1 Eagleclaw Boots
+1 Call of the Wild
« Last Edit: December 06, 2014, 08:02:39 PM by reddawn »
  • Favourite Mage: Arraxian Crown Warlock