April 20, 2024, 12:45:34 AM

Author Topic: Anvil Throne Deck Help/Criticism  (Read 7192 times)

reddawn

• Playtester
  • Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 10
    • View Profile
Anvil Throne Deck Help/Criticism
« on: November 09, 2014, 11:44:57 PM »
[spellbook]
[spellbookheader]
[spellbookname][/spellbookname]
[mage]Anvil Throne Warlord[/mage]
[/spellbookheader]
[spells]
[spellclass]Attack[/spellclass]
[mwcard=MWSTX2FFA02]2 x  Hurl Rock[/mwcard]
[mwcard=mw1a06]1 x  Flameblast[/mwcard]
[mwcard=mw1a08]1 x  Geyser[/mwcard]
[mwcard=DNA01]1 x  Acid Ball[/mwcard]
[mwcard=FWA01]1 x  Arc Lightning[/mwcard]
[mwcard=FWA03]1 x  Hail of Stones[/mwcard]
[mwcard=FWA04]1 x  Hurl Boulder[/mwcard]
[spellclass]Conjuration[/spellclass]
[mwcard=mw1j04]1 x  Battle Forge[/mwcard]
[mwcard=mw1j08]1 x  Hand of Bim-Shalla[/mwcard]
[mwcard=FWJ02]1 x  Archer's Watchtower[/mwcard]
[spellclass]Creature[/spellclass]
[mwcard=FWC01]1 x  Dwarf Kriegsbiel[/mwcard]
[mwcard=FWC11]2 x  Orc Butcher[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MWSTX2FFC06]1 x  Goblin Alchemist[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MWSTX2FFC05]1 x  Anvil Throne Crossbowman[/mwcard]
[mwcard=FWC14]1 x  Sir Corazin, Blademaster[/mwcard]
[spellclass]Enchantment[/spellclass]
[mwcard=MWSTX2FFE02]1 x  Akiro's Favor[/mwcard]
[mwcard=mw1e01]2 x  Bear Strength[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MWSTX2FFE06]1 x  Lion Savagery[/mwcard]
[mwcard=mw1e29]1 x  Nullify[/mwcard]
[mwcard=mw1e32]1 x  Regrowth[/mwcard]
[mwcard=FWE03]2 x  Falcon Precision[/mwcard]
[mwcard=mw1e33]1 x  Retaliate[/mwcard]
[mwcard=mw1e09]1 x  Agony[/mwcard]
[spellclass]Equipment[/spellclass]
[mwcard=mw1q23]1 x  Regrowth Belt[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MWSTX2FFQ05]2 x  Harshforge Plate[/mwcard]
[mwcard=mw1q15]1 x  Leather Boots[/mwcard]
[mwcard=mw1q16]1 x  Leather Gloves[/mwcard]
[mwcard=mw1q06]1 x  Dragonscale Hauberk[/mwcard]
[mwcard=FWQ10]1 x  Storm Drake Hide[/mwcard]
[mwcard=mw1q04]1 x  Deflection Bracers[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MWSTX2FFQ03]1 x  Eisenach's Forge Hammer[/mwcard]
[mwcard=mw1q08]1 x  Elemental Wand[/mwcard]
[mwcard=DNQ09]1 x  Wand of Healing[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MWSTX1CKQ06]1 x  Eagleclaw Boots[/mwcard]
[mwcard=mw1q09]1 x  Enchanter's Ring[/mwcard]
[mwcard=FWQ05]1 x  Helm of Command[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MWSTX2FFQ06]2 x  Morning Star[/mwcard]
[mwcard=FWQ11]1 x  War Sledge[/mwcard]
[spellclass]Incantation[/spellclass]
[mwcard=mw1i17]1 x  Minor Heal[/mwcard]
[mwcard=FWI08]1 x  Sniper Shot[/mwcard]
[mwcard=mw1i02]1 x  Battle Fury[/mwcard]
[mwcard=mw1i18]1 x  Perfect Strike[/mwcard]
[mwcard=mw1i20]1 x  Purify[/mwcard]
[mwcard=mw1i06]2 x  Dispel[/mwcard]
[mwcard=mw1i04]1 x  Charge[/mwcard]
[mwcard=mw1i07]1 x  Dissolve[/mwcard]
[mwcard=mw1i12]1 x  Force Push[/mwcard]
[mwcard=mw1i28]1 x  Teleport[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MWSTX2FFI06]1 x  Defend[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MWSTX2FFI04]1 x  Flank Attack[/mwcard]
[mwcard=mw1i19]1 x  Piercing Strike[/mwcard]
[mwcard=FWI06]1 x  Power Strike[/mwcard]
[/spells]
[cost]Total cost: 112 pts[/cost]
[/spellbook]

My most recent AT Warlord build; basically, I start with a Hand of BS and a Battle Forge, then adapt from there.  I usually choose to go second, though with a Wizard opponent I may want to be first to prevent mana on a Gate.

The general idea is to draw out the fight to midgame against more aggressive decks and go on the offensive against defensive decks.  I feel that the dwarf Warlord is a very mid-game oriented mage, though I think he's particularly strong against aggressive builds with the Defense +2, Armor +1, and Cantrip runes in combination with Harshforge plate. Akiro's Favor also ensures either hammer has a good chance for attack-cutting dazes.

The issue I'm running into now is that, at 112 points and most of my bases covered, I'm not sure what else to add.  I'm missing a second ring, but I don't think the General's Signet Ring is good here; builds with the Barracks are just better with the BW Warlord, and I usually don't have the opportunity to cast more than 4 creatures.  I could include an elemental ring, but 2 points for a situational +1 die doesn't seem worth it, and the Command Ring feels slow given the dwarf's Power rune.

Any suggestions or comments?
  • Favourite Mage: Arraxian Crown Warlock

BoomFrog

• Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
Re: Anvil Throne Deck Help/Criticism
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2014, 08:05:42 AM »
You could always use more dissolve or acid ball or dispel.

Two iron golems would be good vs forcemaster and necro.

Reflex boots and a defense ring might make sense. Harshforge plate makes people want to acid ball you and reflex boots are good vs that.

pete2

• Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2014, 08:06:26 AM »
maybe have the enchanter's ring and a hawkeye to boost ranged attacks ?
  • Favourite Mage: Wychwood Druid

Biblofilter

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2014, 10:04:38 AM »
You have used to many spellpoints on weapons in my opinion:
[mwcard=MWSTX2FFQ03]Eisenach's Forge Hammer[/mwcard]

[mwcard=MWSTX2FFQ06]Morning Star[/mwcard] x2
[mwcard=FWQ11]War Sledge[/mwcard]

After i read that you have to hit yourself with the sweeping attack im just not going to include War Sledge in any spellbook. Both Eisenach´s Forge and Morning Star is nice, but with the Eisenach´s Forge Hammer you would really want to play it early to get the equipment discount via Battle Forge. So i guess i would drop one of
the Morning Stars or the Hammer.

Id be alot more worried about losing [mwcard=FWQ05]Helm of Command[/mwcard] but i guess you could used your Cantrip Rune for that.

Speaking about command i don´t think you need Battle Fury and Flank Attack as much.

Battle Fury is only 4 dice extra for 3-4 mana (3 with G. command ring) and Flank Attack seems more situationel (you need 2 creatures to hit in the same zone) I would change both for a [mwcard=FWI08]Sniper Shot[/mwcard] instead, just because Fellella,Huginn and Guardian Angels are annoying.

Things that would be nice:
Mana Crystal/Mana Flower
Armor Ward
Mage Wand (with cantrip rune and then +1 Helm of Command)
Dispel Wand
Seeking Dispel
Earth Wall
Surging Wave

and more dissolves/dispels
"Töten". "Alles Töten".
Best strat advice ever

Borg

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2014, 11:00:11 AM »
Consider using 2 elemental wands so you can just cast a new one with a new spell attached as opposed to having to waste a QS to change the bound spell.
Makes it less problematic should you lose one too.

Same reasoning for including 2 Helm of Command.

I'm sure you'd love to have a second Alchemist when facing a Druid.

A Dwarf Panzerguard to defend/Intercept for your Mage/ Battle forge is very well worth the points as well.

4 pieces of weaponry is too much. The war Sledge makes your Wands unusable as well, so I would surely drop that one.

4 pieces of armor seems like over the top as well.

Consider also adding a Veterans Belt and replace the Dragonscale and Storm Drake hide with an Elemental Cloak.

Add a Force Hold for when you need to take care of some Flying monstrosity.

Armor Ward.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2014, 11:04:37 AM by Borg »
  • Favourite Mage: Salenia Forcemaster

reddawn

• Playtester
  • Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2014, 11:30:16 AM »
I think the Sledge is better than it's given credit for.  In a situation in which you need it, you aren't going to have to hit yourself, and even if there's only one creature in a zone, you don't have to use the sweeping attack.  If you desperately need a daze and jumped the gun on the Sledge, you still could actually dodge it with the Bracers as long as you don't have a Falcon Precision on, which is kinda funny. 

I could stand to take out a Morning Star.  I like having the option of having basically 3 given the Reforging rune for against FMs, and they have some better synergy with Harshforge Plate, but having 2 Falcon Precision and 1 Morning Star is probably enough.  I don't think FM are particularly strong at the moment anyway. 

Battle Fury I forgot to take out, from when I still had Knights.  Flank Attack I keep trying to sneak in because the art is cool and the effect seems good, but I'm slowly accepting that it might not be worth it outside of Barracks builds.

A Mage Wand is something I forgot about...which is weird, since not even the Wizard can manage cheap Teleports or spell switches.  Cool synergy with Golems too.

I've found Earth Wall to be unimpressive.  I understand it's a level 1 wall that blocks vision and movement, but it's immunities aren't relevant, the hydro weakness sucks, and 8 health requires at most 2 attacks from standard level 2 creatures.  Wall of Bones seems like the gold standard for cheap walls with passage/vision blocked traits, and it's only 1 more mana.

Thanks for the suggestions people, I'd like to see more or just talk about cards and ideas.

Wise fool

• Jr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2014, 11:54:03 AM »

After i read that you have to hit yourself with the sweeping attack im just not going to include War Sledge in any spellbook.

Wait, is that official?  When I read someone reference this rule I thought it was a joke.  You have to hit yourself with a sweeping attack when there's no other viable target?

V10lentray

• Member of Arcane Duels
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2014, 12:08:16 PM »
You do not have to hit yourself.

BoomFrog

• Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2014, 12:55:36 PM »
You do not have to hit yourself.
Technically you do. http://forum.arcanewonders.com/index.php?topic=14650.msg42368#msg42368

I wouldn't blame you if you house ruled otherwise though.

Laddinfance

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2014, 03:33:48 PM »
Actually, you do not have to hit yourself. Sorry that clarification is new. You can find it >>HERE<<.

BoomFrog

• Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 10, 2014, 03:45:53 PM »
Excellent to know. Thank you.

Maverick

• Ambassador - Twin Cities MN
  • Playtester
  • Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
  • I got a fever, and the only cure is Mage Wars!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 10, 2014, 05:31:35 PM »
I am trying to understand your strategy with the creatures. It appears this is a very mage-centric spellbook design with the goal being to buff the mage and get him into combat with the enemy mage. Your creature selection does not seem to reflect this design decision. So I ask you this- in what situation would you summon the creatures you have selected and in response to what tactics?

Something to keep in mind with posting spell book designs.
What are my opening turns going to look like? Be specific as you can generally assume you will have 2-3 turns to build up before any interference on the part of the enemy mage. Posting those turns (what you cast/remaining mana) on the forums helps us tailor advice to assist you. Otherwise you will get a lot of "well this is a good card for Warlords" or "this works good against this type of strategy" type advice.

That said here is my "this is a good card" advice.
Generally you will want multiple ways to deal with armor. Acid Ball works great for this role but I recommend running 2-3 of them.

I see you are running a lot of elemental attack spells other than earth. I understand the desire for versatility but it may not be worth it in regards to book cost. Particularly as you have opted for cheap spells with not really game changing effects. Spells like Ring of Fire or Circle of Lightning would be worth delving in other schools but I feel Arc Lightning and Flameblast not so much. Ring of Fire in particular is a great spell if you are planning to go creature lite as you can be fairly certain you will be swarmed if you are the only eligible target in the arena. Two castings of Ring of Fire and all of that mana and actions the enemy mage spent on those creatures will die with them. Also Hurl Boulder is amazing and I always recommend 2 or more if you have access to the earth school.

You seem exceptionally vulnerable to fliers to such a degree that it may cost you any match you oppose them. You have many attack spells but the damage output of them is so low you will need 2 or more on average to kill even the weakest fliers. It is not action efficient or reliable as a defense against them. I recommend a higher density of ranged attackers in your creature selection. As you are not running a Barracks I would go with quality over quantity to save actions. Maybe Grimson Deadeye and/or Ludwig Boltstorm? If you go that route I would make sure you factor in summoning one of them in your first 3 turn plan for every match due to their high cost.

You are running a lot of situational incantations that will likely not see play in most matches. Flank attack and Sniper Shot in particular seems like a poor choice due to how few creatures you have. If you are going creature lite I would stick with incantations that you cast on the mage specifically. Whirling Strike, Battle Fury, Piercing Attack, and Power strike are good examples. Keep in mind that Battle Fury will not benefit from bonus melee dice so it will probably be more mana efficient per dice of damage to instead cast Hurl Rock plus you get the daze chance and some range.

Your weapon selection seems a bit like overkill. 2-3 weapons are the most I would personally put in a book with 2 being the more likely. Having doubles of the Morning Star with 2 of the Falcons Precision enchantment particularly makes me raise an eyebrow. Even if your meta-game was very defense heavy I think that would be massive overkill. The better defenses are a 50% miss chance, is it really worth it to dedicate that much of your strategy to negate something that may not even effect you? I would go with 1 Falcons precision and the Mage Staff for it's reach. If they dispel your Falcons precision oh well just roll the defense dice and hope for the best. If you are really worried keep one Morning Star as a back up. Due to the cost of dissolving your equipment and the sheer quantity you have Dissolve is probably not a major hindrance to your strategy.

I notice you have 2 Harshforged Plates, a Dragonscale hauberk, And Storm Drake hide. I would drop the latter 2 and throw in an Elemental Cloak. Due to the cost to dissolve Harshforged Plate (especially with a rune) you will probably not be worrying about it overly much. Elemental Cloak also fills the empty cloak slot while adding 1 armor to the mix. Run a disable to cast on yourself to get rid of corrodes as it is a cheaper alternative to recasting the armor source.

I do not feel you are running enough enchantments to justify the Enchanters Ring. Speaking of enchantments Vampirism should be added if you can swing it because it is a cornerstone of Mage-centric melee strategies. It will likely heal you more than any form of regeneration and stacks with regeneration.

That is about the best advice I can give without a more thorough rundown of your strategy. Hope it helps!
« Last Edit: November 10, 2014, 05:45:06 PM by Maverick »
  • Favourite Mage: Bloodwave Warlord
Easy, guys.. I put my pants on just like the rest of you -- one leg at a time. Except, once my pants are on, I win Mage Wars!

reddawn

• Playtester
  • Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 10, 2014, 08:54:36 PM »
Thanks for detailed input Mav.

To answer the first question, since this is a more mage-centric build, I value sweeping a lot, mainly to get past guards and even the odds against an opponent with more creatures than me.  I could run other ways to get around guards, but those ways are more easily dealt with than a creature.  Corazin is pretty much just a big Kriegsbiel that is equally good against single targets.  Butchers are there as a cheap way to gain dice and they'll survive for a few rounds.  Alchemist helps do whatever, including take on fliers, but you're right that I could stand to include more ways to deal with them and Grimson and Ludwig were already high on my list for that.

Flank Attack I took out even though I'll mourn the loss of cool goblin art, but Sniper Shot feels pretty essential to me.  I don't know if it was GenCon or something else, but I'm running into a lot of Reverse Attacks, and having a way break them at key moments is important if I want to use Hurl Boulder but suspect a trick.  The amount of value someone can gain from RA is pretty stupid, so 1 point to prevent that and defenses/Block isn't a big price to pay.

You're right about the weapon count, I cut a Morning Star.  Elemental Cloak instead of those 2 armors is also probably a better deal.  I think being well-prepared against defenses is justified, though; some of the best creatures, like Gremlins and Knights, are just too unapproachable without having a plan for their defenses.  Falcon Precision also gives your Sledge 2 unavoidable piercing +1 (with Rune) attacks with a solid chance to daze, which helps your other creatures get hits too.

The Arc Lightning is there mainly for Brogan Bloodstone.  He counters 2 of the Warlord's runes (armor and defense) and has been a major problem for me in the past.  It's also good against the holy Knights.  Basically, I play against a fair amount of priestesses both IRL and online, so a often repeatable 5 dice attack for 4-5 mana seems justified to me.  Flameblast/Hurl Rock is usually how I deal with fliers, but that could not be enough.

Finally, I find it hard not to justify Enchanter's Ring with the dwarf.  It costs pretty much nothing with the Forge Hammer and Battleforge, not any mana from the mage's mana pool at least, and starts netting mana after the first enchantment.  It actually seems a little better with the Warlord than the other mages, but maybe I'm missing something.