April 29, 2024, 01:19:13 AM

Author Topic: Essen and Mage Wars  (Read 7728 times)

kiwipaul

• Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
Essen and Mage Wars
« on: October 21, 2014, 07:34:01 AM »
Following the hype in America for Origins and Gencon there were a number of reactions from people hoping that Arcane Wonders would show a presence at Essen this year.   

Sadly that was not directly so, this was also given in some of the reactions that they were not planning to. 

Nevertheless, Mage Wars was represented by their distributor in the form of Pegusus, who had an enormous stand in Hall 3 demoing a number of games including Mage Wars but only in German.

This is where it stopped though and seems a great shame that the momentum for this still reasonably fresh game is not being perpetuated in Europe.  It seems to me that next year will be Arcane Wonders last chance before they miss the boat on the European and world markets by representing themselves in Essen.

It would be a shame if this great game became a bastion of the American continent and but a sideshow or missed opportunity for the rest of the world.  It seems to me that the Ambassador programme is a great base to start a presence here in Europe at Essen 2015.  Perhaps if just one of the crew appeared it would help with the organisation and experience of the great American conventions to push Mage Wars not just for America but for the rest of the world.

Before the rest of the world forgets it and moves onto the multitude of other games that focus on everybody.

V10lentray

• Member of Arcane Duels
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
Re: Essen and Mage Wars
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2014, 09:18:51 AM »
While I don't know the answer and don't want to speak for Arcane Wonders as to why they were not present at Essen, I will say that AW is a Company with a TOTAL of 5 employees.

And it would take all of them plus a boatload of Ambassadors to work a convention as large as Essen. At GenCon, all the AW employees were there working, as well as about 20 ambassadors for all 4 days, plus a few of us who were only able to give either one day or only a few hours of our time.
  • Favourite Mage: Wychwood Druid

kiwipaul

• Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2014, 09:40:42 AM »
I do understand and appreciate that they are a small company of a few people.  There are a number of small american and canadian game designers that also appear.  Granted they would not be running a major site, and I do not think that Arcane Wonders would run a huge stand such as Pegasus.

But.

They could also work in conjunction with Pegasus, who are admittedly mostly German, or a more modest stand involving stands and helpers.  Note that there are a big number of gamers who want the original English set.  This includes the Belgians, Dutch, some Germans, some Polish and all of the English, scottish, irish and expats of course.

My point is that there are resources, people and interest who are willing to help. 

That will not remain forever and next year may be the last chance to exploit  this resource.

kiwipaul

• Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2014, 06:20:24 PM »
In addition to this, how many of you mage wars players visited Essen this year?  From any country?  Heck, I visited and I am from New Zealand.

Cnoedel

• Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2014, 09:26:01 PM »
since i live here we can make a meetup next year - i am really eager to go there but had no motivation this year since there was nothing in my interest and i couldnt play mage wars last year :D
"I close my eyes and seize it
 I clench my fists and beat it
 I light my torch and burn it
 I am the beast I worship..."

DTHGRPSBWR

http://absurdurbannihilist.tumblr.com/
my blog.

pete2

• Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2014, 02:35:28 AM »
Same feeling here Cnoedel....i went there for the first time in 2013 (i'm from Belgium, a 3 hour drive away from Essen) , but decided not to return in 2014..simply because my gamebuddy and i knew Arcane Wonders would not be there..(and nor did Plaid hat games, nor FFG)...

We were hoping to find a Mage Wars stand with promo's and accessories and maybe get some signed cards by Aaron or Scott...I would have loved to buy the magnetic status board, alternative attack dice and maybe some more action markers..as i'm hestitating to order them on the site , due to the high delivery costs.

What would have been even cooler was to see a small tournament and particpate off course...but alas :'(

In the meantime i can only dream of one day going to Gencon...

V10lentray

• Member of Arcane Duels
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2014, 08:40:08 AM »

In the meantime i can only dream of one day going to Gencon...

And those of us in the States dream about going to Essen...

kiwipaul

• Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2015, 06:47:17 AM »
Well come on over.  Plenty of room and a lot of americans and Canadians here as well

wtcannonjr

• Ambassador of Wychwood
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
    • WBC Mage Wars Tournament
« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2015, 08:18:23 PM »
Cheaper gas should mean cheaper airfare.
"Not everything that is faced can be changed, but nothing can be changed until it is faced." - James Baldwin

Boocheck

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2016, 06:21:11 AM »
I dont do Necromancer that much, so let me be a Priest. (last activity here in 2015)

Will Arcane Wonders be present at Essen this year? I completly missed Mr. Pope in 2015 and in 2014 there was only Pegasus Spiel :)

• Favourite Mage: Bloodwave Warlord
I am one with the force, the force is with me! (Warlord is still my fav mage ;) )

Master Ruprecht

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2016, 01:47:01 AM »
I dont do Necromancer that much, so let me be a Priest. (last activity here in 2015)

Will Arcane Wonders be present at Essen this year? I completly missed Mr. Pope in 2015 and in 2014 there was only Pegasus Spiel :)

+1 (though I met Mr. Pope last year)   8)