June 26, 2024, 01:08:31 PM

Author Topic: Mage Wars Mondays - Episode 13 Horticulture 101  (Read 8267 times)

Laddinfance

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 2
    • View Profile
Mage Wars Mondays - Episode 13 Horticulture 101
« on: October 20, 2014, 09:11:03 AM »
Hello again! Well it's another Monday, and we have more Mage Wars Mondays for you. In this episode Scott and I try to guide Rick about using the Druid. There is a lot to cover, so notebooks out, pencils up and lets get right into Horticulture 101.

You can find the link to this episode >>HERE<<.

V10lentray

• Member of Arcane Duels
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
Re: Mage Wars Mondays - Episode 13 Horticulture 101
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2014, 09:29:47 AM »
YAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Favourite Mage: Wychwood Druid

V10lentray

• Member of Arcane Duels
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2014, 10:48:40 AM »
One thing I noticed neither of you commented on was protecting your treebonded tree.

I know that a lot of players focus on protecting the Treebonded tree using a guardian Angel. What are your ideas about that and what other creatures have you used to protect the tree and is it worth it with against all mages?

Laddinfance

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2014, 11:03:07 AM »
One thing I noticed neither of you commented on was protecting your treebonded tree.

I know that a lot of players focus on protecting the Treebonded tree using a guardian Angel. What are your ideas about that and what other creatures have you used to protect the tree and is it worth it with against all mages?

Yea, there was sooooo much to cover that we didn't get to talk about some things as much as I'd want. As for the [mwcard=MWSTX1CKC06]Guardian Angel[/mwcard]? Well I have a lot of mixed feelings about her. She's a full action to cast, and your mage is the only one who can cast her. She's a full 12 mana for something that is completely defensive in nature. However, she has one job, block things, and she does that superbly. She can keep herself going without support for a very long time.

All of that said, I've moved away from using her. One [mwcard=MW1I12]Force Push[/mwcard] and my tree is vulnerable again. In fact a cunning player can find all sorts of ways to make her a doorstop. My personal favorite is [mwcard=MW1J22]Tanglevine[/mwcard]. She has to guard to be useful, and that is when you can just root her to the spot.

Personally I have found the best way to protect your Treebond is to go on the offensive. If you put pressure on your opponent then they have to react and it will take them longer to get to your tree. Also, if someone wants to destroy your tree, often times they are more than able regardless of what you do. That is why I try to take advantage of it while I have it.

V10lentray

• Member of Arcane Duels
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2014, 11:25:25 AM »
Just so you know, I was super stoked about today's podcast. I'm going to listen to it multiple time I'm sure while taking lots of notes. I also love the druid. She and the necromancer are my 2 favorite mages.

One of my most enjoyable builds with her was thought up while at the movies with my wife. We went and saw the Disney movie, Maleficent. She is sort of a Druid / Forcemaster in the movie so my entire book was based on Using force push spells, and thorn lashers to drag my opponents through walls.

It was pretty fun, although I still lost in the end. I apparently forgot that I can also be pushed through my own walls, and it became an insane pushing match.

V10lentray

• Member of Arcane Duels
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2014, 12:18:19 PM »

Personally I have found the best way to protect your Treebond is to go on the offensive. If you put pressure on your opponent then they have to react and it will take them longer to get to your tree.

The Best Defense, is a Good Offense!

Intangible0

• Arcane Duels Host
  • Playtester
  • Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
    • Arcane Duels
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2014, 04:17:04 PM »
This podcast validated the last match I had when I played the Druid. I've played against her quite a few times (thanks Ray) but haven't got to use her myself until recently. There was never a moment where I felt secure, even if I was in control. I think that could have been because I had so many moving parts to make her effective.

Anyway, just saying you talked about a lot of things I thought about and it was good to know that I was on the right track.
  • Favourite Mage: Johktari Beastmaster

Toxziq

• Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
  • "Now... bring me that horizon..."
    • View Profile
    • Crits Happen
« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2014, 01:13:00 PM »
Glad to hear these podcasts are helpful guys, thanks for the feedback!

I love the druid personally, unless Aaron is running her, then it's me running! :)

Protecting the Tree you bond with is very important.  Guardian Angel is a solid choice in that.  Honestly, for my money, GA is the best thing to protect anything, given her abilities and Intercept.

Overall, Druids can be a blast if you're playing them, or a threat if you're playing against them.
  • Favourite Mage: Anvil Throne Warlord

ozmo

• Playtester
  • Jr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2014, 03:34:43 PM »
This was another great episode. I really enjoy these. My biggest problem is finding the time to try all of the things I want to try.  ;D

Laddinfance

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2014, 04:09:49 PM »
My biggest problem is finding the time to try all of the things I want to try.  ;D

QFT.

I'm in the same boat most days ;-).

ozmo

• Playtester
  • Jr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 23, 2014, 05:10:46 PM »
My biggest problem is finding the time to try all of the things I want to try.  ;D

QFT.

I'm in the same boat most days ;-).

I found myself playing a different mage every session earlier this year. And while it was fun, I was always gravitating towards similar strategies. So I took a step back, realized I was really intrigued with the Adramelech Warlock and decided to focus on her. The past month or two I've been playing her starter (which I think is a good starter BTW, nice job) and forcing myself to take a different approach each game. My friend is focusing on the AC warlock. We threw in the Straywood Beastmaster so we didn't have perpetual Warlock v Warlock matches.

It's worked well. I have a good feel for her and I'm playing around with different book ideas. Although I must admit to dusting off and playing my Wizard the last couple of games. It's been fun but, for some reason, people don't like playing against the Wizard. Weird, I know.

Boocheck

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 24, 2014, 12:18:19 AM »
This was a first episode, i was not able to listen to immediatly and i am really glad, that i just didnt play it into my ears on my way home from work. This episode bring a lot of good thoughts and also, destroyed my build "Sleeping Forrest" because i dont realize, that as any other conjurations, i can have only one of a same type in a zone. My brain somehow process all "plants" as a creatures :)

Thank you for this episode! Will there be David Hanold as a guest in future episodes? It would be nice to "meet" a whole AW family :)
  • Favourite Mage: Bloodwave Warlord
I am one with the force, the force is with me! (Warlord is still my fav mage ;) )

V10lentray

• Member of Arcane Duels
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 24, 2014, 09:53:01 AM »
This episode bring a lot of good thoughts and also, destroyed my build "Sleeping Forrest" because i dont realize, that as any other conjurations, i can have only one of a same type in a zone. My brain somehow process all "plants" as a creatures :)

All Vine creatures are Plants, but not all Plants are Vines. The Vine markers can only cast Vine creatures and Conjurations. The seedling pods are vines, that can cast plants, such as Trees and Wall of Thorns.

Boocheck

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 24, 2014, 11:43:02 AM »
What i meant is that i cannot cast 4 corrosive orchids into one zone :)
  • Favourite Mage: Bloodwave Warlord
I am one with the force, the force is with me! (Warlord is still my fav mage ;) )

V10lentray

• Member of Arcane Duels
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 24, 2014, 12:07:07 PM »
[mwcard=DNJ02]Corrosive Orchid[/mwcard] removes armor, not put creatures to sleep, you're thinking of [mwcard=DNJ06]Nightshade Lotus[/mwcard].