April 19, 2024, 01:30:11 PM

Author Topic: Alter of Domination change how you fight warlord?  (Read 5952 times)

DaFurryFury

• Master of Dancing Robutts
  • Jr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
Alter of Domination change how you fight warlord?
« on: October 10, 2014, 11:43:46 PM »
I'm curious to see what other people think about this subject. How does the Alter change how you fight warlord? I have seen strategies to fight Talos himself, but as it is a card with very little disadvantage in casting, does it change your reactions in the first few rounds before its even cast?

I suppose for me, it's existence is incentive for me to play a rush strategy with whatever mage I'm playing so I can kill the outposts quickly. It is likely that my opponent has it in his spellbook, since it just takes 2 spell points, I feel like I am always trying to play as if he has it. This to me reduces the fun because it's more predictable, but I digress. I just feel like it means that if I don't rush, then its certain that the warlord will use the Altar.

Thoughts? Like this? Don't like?
  • Favourite Mage: Adramelech Warlock

V10lentray

• Member of Arcane Duels
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
Re: Alter of Domination change how you fight warlord?
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2014, 11:59:35 PM »
If My opponent were to play the alter to summon Talos, my immediate response it to attack the other outposts to make it impossible for the alter to go off.
  • Favourite Mage: Wychwood Druid

BoomFrog

• Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2014, 07:32:43 AM »
I already feel compelled to attack a warlord with a barracks out because if you let it pay off the warlord is going to end up with a better army then you.  I don't play super passive books anyway.  If you and the warlord are both hiding in your corners building up then this would tip the scales for the non-warlord to attack first, but for me it has never actually changed anything.

baronzaltor

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 19
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2014, 03:24:17 PM »
A fun way to irritate an Altar strategy is to wait until they play an outpost, and then start dropping your cheap zone exclusive conjurations like Wardstones and Mana Crystals in the non-adjacent zones... Outposts placement restriction makes it really to hamper getting too many into the arena without having to waste effort destroying your disposable conjurations.

Generally speaking though, even a book that is only mildly aggressive should be able to stop Talos from ever getting into play.

DaFurryFury

• Master of Dancing Robutts
  • Jr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2014, 07:56:29 PM »
Neat idea Zaltor! Since the are really only 4 easily accessible spots for the warlord to place outposts, I bet that is really viable.
  • Favourite Mage: Adramelech Warlock

reddawn

• Playtester
  • Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2014, 08:28:27 PM »
I think the Warlord is in a good position to counter this kind of tactic with Conquer, if necessary.  That could still be a way to potentially draw out Conquer(s) so that when the Epic anti-swarm conjurations are played, there isn't an easy answer.

I don't really think AoD particularly defines the Warlord.  I think it's pretty good overall, even if it takes 1 or 2 more turns to activate than required, but if your opponent manages to hit Talos with a Banish when he comes out, you basically spent at least 9 mana plus actions to do nothing, which sucks. 

With the current cardpool, I'd say AoD is only decent or mediocre.  I read or heard somewhere (maybe on MWMondays) that new anti-teleport conjurations are in the works, so that'll be great news for big creatures everywhere.  And new players who keep getting teleported into armies.   
  • Favourite Mage: Arraxian Crown Warlock

sIKE

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 18
  • Ugh
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2014, 12:18:32 AM »
@reddawn:
I am confused here:
I don't really think AoD particularly defines the Warlord.  I think it's pretty good overall
then you say
With the current cardpool, I'd say AoD is only decent or mediocre

I know I pulled those quotes out but which is it pretty good or mediocre?

I have played this many times and even if I never get Talos out, the AoD and Outposts make for one hell of a distraction. As for the idea about killing the conjurations, that is what the Construction Yard is so good for, add a Goblin Builder in the mix, or have your mage prepare a Garrison Post/Archers Watchtower and cast it during the final QC phase and it gets really hard to prevent Talos from coming out. The opposing mages best bet is to kill the Warlord or have him real close to his Damage Counter meeting his Life counter and Talos doesn't get a chance to make a difference.

• Favourite Mage: Malakai Priest

reddawn

• Playtester
  • Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2014, 10:31:04 AM »
I mean that, the card is good in and of itself (as 9 mana for that kind of creature would be, even with a few turns of delay) but the current cardpool hampers it some.  I just don't see as much support for larger creatures than hordes of level 1 or 2s atm.

It's not bad, and it does provide distraction, but it also requires support, so the distraction is somewhat canceled out.  At least, I ultimately want the creature, and I'm not terribly interested in protecting a 9 mana conjuration that does nothing until Talos comes out. 
  • Favourite Mage: Arraxian Crown Warlock

sIKE

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 18
  • Ugh
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2014, 11:33:42 AM »
That I get! It is a tough and challenging strategy to get out, half the time I have been successful my mage is so close to death that Talos does not make a difference, the other half, well he is the closer that Arcanus imagined ending the game in 2 rounds.
  • Favourite Mage: Malakai Priest