April 27, 2024, 05:38:59 AM

Author Topic: Giant Wolf Spider  (Read 8200 times)

V10lentray

• Member of Arcane Duels
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
Giant Wolf Spider
« on: September 13, 2014, 08:24:22 PM »
Why doesn't this thing have climbing? I mean come on!!
  • Favourite Mage: Wychwood Druid

reddawn

• Playtester
  • Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 10
    • View Profile
Re: Giant Wolf Spider
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2014, 10:06:08 PM »
Probably cause it's giant.  Too heavy to climb stuff.
  • Favourite Mage: Arraxian Crown Warlock

V10lentray

• Member of Arcane Duels
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2014, 12:38:12 AM »
but it's a spider, that's what they do....

Maverick

• Ambassador - Twin Cities MN
  • Playtester
  • Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
  • I got a fever, and the only cure is Mage Wars!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2014, 01:10:19 AM »
If they ever introduce a "water spout" card they can add text that lets all spider creatures gain climbing in it's zone. :)
  • Favourite Mage: Bloodwave Warlord
Easy, guys.. I put my pants on just like the rest of you -- one leg at a time. Except, once my pants are on, I win Mage Wars!

isel

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2014, 10:43:51 AM »
But if a giant ape, have climbing, maybe a giant spider would have too.

V10lentray

• Member of Arcane Duels
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2014, 11:03:51 AM »
If they ever introduce a "water spout" card they can add text that lets all spider creatures gain climbing in it's zone. :)

Come on Palladin Vs Siren!!!!

Sailor Vulcan

• Secret Identity: Imaginator
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2014, 08:57:04 PM »
I really wish I could figure out some way to make the giant wolf spider actually useful. As far as I know, pretty much everyone has tried and pretty much everyone has given up for the time being. The giant wolf spider seems to have two main functions: stuck conditions, and it's taint-boosted melee attack. It also seems like it might like to chase the enemy. Unfortunately, there are a lot of more efficient ways of immobilizing enemies and dealing higher amounts of damage to them from melee attacks. Although the giant wolf spider does have psychic immunity. I suppose he might be a good, cheaper, zombie alternative to Sardonyx, but I'm not entirely sure...
  • Favourite Mage: Salenia Forcemaster
I am Sailor Vulcan! Champion of justice and reason! And yes, I am already aware my uniform is considered flashy, unprofessional, and borderline sexually provocative for my species by most intelligent lifeforms. I did not choose this outfit. Shut up.

MageHorst

• Jr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
  • MiĆ©villean Tentacle
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2014, 02:24:54 AM »
It's a pity that the spider does not have the animal subtype because if it had, it would benefit greatly from the totems and Call of the Wild.

However, one card from FiF might improve the spider's standing: Akiro's Favour. I haven't tried these two cards together yet, but since most people seem to struggle with both the spider's damage output as well as its (in)ability to stuck, this might be a solution.
Yes, warlord! No other victory feels more rewarding. =)

jacksmack

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 19
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2014, 02:38:59 AM »
It's a pity that the spider does not have the animal subtype because if it had, it would benefit greatly from the totems and Call of the Wild.

And as important: Lair and Ring of Beasts.

Boocheck

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2014, 04:45:11 AM »
I think that Insect subtype exists for a reason same as why he didnt have an animal subtype. In this case, i fully trust in AW and that in future, this guy find its place in some mages books just because of synergies made by "future" cards :)
I am one with the force, the force is with me! (Warlord is still my fav mage ;) )

Shad0w

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 15, 2014, 10:48:16 AM »
BTW moved because this is not a rules question.
"Darth come prove to meet you are worthy of the fighting for your school in the arena and not just another scholar to be discarded like an worn out rag doll"

Quote: Shad0w the Arcmage

ozmo

• Playtester
  • Jr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 17, 2014, 03:03:36 PM »
The Giant Wolf Spider is useful simply because my daughter loves Giant Mythical Spiders and she's excited to play a book around it.

Sidenote - While she loves Giant Mythical Spiders she hates Real-Life Normal Sized Spiders. Weird, I know. Go figure.

V10lentray

• Member of Arcane Duels
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 17, 2014, 10:57:56 PM »
Slap an Eagles wings on the Giant Wolf Spider and make the most terrifying thing ever.

A giant flying spider!!

Ganpot

• Jr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 18, 2014, 09:30:32 PM »
Giant Wolf Spiders simply have too many weaknesses to be viable.  They suck against non-living or tough targets, and teleport (a card almost everyone runs) is a direct counter to them.  There also need to be several alive at once to pose an imminent threat, but they cost so much mana that players can't afford to keep pumping them out.  Not to mention the fact that they are counted as insects but not animals, and there is currently no insect synergy for any mage. 

What the devs probably should have done is halve all the base stats and mana cost.  A level 2, 8 mana creature with 1 armor and 7 health (and the same attacks as present) would be a decent situational tool for applying tainted and stuck conditions. 

Slap an Eagles wings on the Giant Wolf Spider and make the most terrifying thing ever.

A giant flying spider!!
I'm afraid someone has done one better on that count.  http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/loadingreadyrun/6096-Fear-Itself

And now I am sad that the devs didn't add those into Forged in Fire.  It would have been perfect for the alternate warlock.