April 28, 2024, 11:48:59 PM

Author Topic: level 1 creatures are quick actions.  (Read 2578 times)

echephron

• Player
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
  • The finest in mage wear...
    • View Profile
level 1 creatures are quick actions.
« on: August 26, 2014, 08:43:01 PM »
What would the game be like if level 1 creatures were quick actions(with the possible limit that the second lev 1 creature cast is a full action like the beastmasters ability). I dislike that casting several level 1 creatures requires beastmaster or a spawnpoint. I'd like a warlord with a bunch of creatures that doesn't require a barracks opening.

I argue it would be funner. beastmaster quick summoning would get a buff(like that level 2 are quickcast or that he can use his quick summoning twice per turn, or that he can treat level one animals as having the extendable trait (can cast two in one action)
  • Favourite Mage: Wychwood Druid

Sailor Vulcan

• Secret Identity: Imaginator
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
level 1 creatures are quick actions.
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2014, 09:48:35 PM »
I'm fairly certain that if all mages had the quick summoning ability, either swarms would dominate the metagame, spawnpoints would be too op to be allowed, or both. Could you please explain your reasoning for thinking this would be more balanced and/or strategically diverse and/or fun, just in case I'm wrong?

However, I agree on one thing that it would be nice if level 1 creatures were useful more often for more than just swarms and pet effects. I imagine them playing support roles, such as with the clerics and the altar of skulls and temple of Asyra, or perhaps level 1 creatures with familiar and spellbind with no channeling and very low life and no armor, for short-term support. That could be useful in a buddy build if your opponent is occupied dealing with your big creature and you want a temporary effect that can be used about once or twice while leaving your mage action open for other stuff, before your opponent kills it.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2014, 10:04:43 PM by Imaginator »
  • Favourite Mage: Salenia Forcemaster
I am Sailor Vulcan! Champion of justice and reason! And yes, I am already aware my uniform is considered flashy, unprofessional, and borderline sexually provocative for my species by most intelligent lifeforms. I did not choose this outfit. Shut up.

echephron

• Player
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
  • The finest in mage wear...
    • View Profile
Re: level 1 creatures are quick actions.
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2014, 10:38:20 PM »
I too am upset that level one creatures are so niche. If I cast a level 1 creature when I could be running or smacking someone in the face, it feels wasteful. My change is to make level 1 creatures more accessible and fit more easily into a variety of books.

My change would make level 1 creatures more viable. There are plenty of counters to level 1 creatures, so I am not worried that they will overwhelm anything.  Requiring people to include more anti-swarm could be a bad effect though.

I thought that my change would make spawnpoints less useful, since they would no longer be near-mandatory for casting 3+ level 1 creatures in a game. I have no problem if you are using a spawnpoint to cast 3 creatures a round. Its mana expensive, and takes your mage-action.
  • Favourite Mage: Wychwood Druid