March 28, 2024, 07:33:32 PM

Author Topic: Formats and Variants worthy of organized play  (Read 11508 times)

Sailor Vulcan

• Secret Identity: Imaginator
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
Formats and Variants worthy of organized play
« on: August 19, 2014, 05:29:38 PM »
Mage Wars Formats best for Organized play

Standard Arena

Standard Arena is the base game Arena format.
2 players. No card pool restrictions. Custom spellbooks. 3x4 zone arena. Objective: enemy mage-kill

Team Arena
2 teams of two players each. Each mage has lifelink +2 or lifelink +3 with their teammate's mage. 4x5 zone arena. Custom spellbooks. No card pool restrictions. Objective: kill both enemy mages.

Arena Domination
Custom map. Custom spellbooks. No card pool restrictions. Objective: mage-kill or domination victory. All other format rules vary with the map.

Standard Academy

This is the base game Academy format. 2 players. Custom spellbooks. 1 zone arena. No quickcast or planning phases. Pests don't remove guard markers when they melee attack guards unless counterstriked. Academy cards only. Objective: enemy mage-kill.

Team Academy
2v2 or 3v3. Custom spellbooks. 1 zone arena. No quickcast or planning phases. Pests don't remove guard markers when they melee attack guards unless counterstriked. Academy cards only. Kharne, Horned Demon's melee bonus equals the number of creatures controlled by the enemy player who controls the most creatures. Objective: kill all enemy mages.

Grand Academy

Free for all for 8+ players. Players to your left and right are considered to be in the same zone as you. Everyone else is not. Objective: either be the first player to defeat an enemy mage, the player who defeats the most mages, or the player whose mage is the last one standing. Custom spellbooks. No quickcast or planning phases. Pests don't remove guard markers when they melee attack guards unless counterstriked. Academy cards only. Kharne, Horned Demon's melee bonus equals the number of creatures controlled by the enemy player who controls the most creatures.

Transfers and Mentors

2v2 or 3v3. Each team designates one  friendly mage as the transfer mage. Objective: kill the enemy transfer mage. No quickcast or planning phases. Pests don't remove guard markers when they melee attack guards unless counterstriked. Academy cards only. Kharne, Horned Demon's melee bonus equals the number of creatures controlled by the enemy player who controls the most creatures.

Academy Domination
2 players. Custom spellbooks. 1 zone arena. 1 sslak with reduced stats. No quickcast or planning phases. Pests don't remove guard markers when they melee attack guards unless counterstriked. Academy cards only. Objective: enemy mage-kill or domination victory (3 vtar)

Free for all
3 players. Custom spellbooks. 3x5 zone arena. Zones b2, b4 and c3 each contain a spiked pit trap. No card pool restrictions. Objective: last mage standing wins.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2017, 10:24:17 AM by Sailor Vulcan »
  • Favourite Mage: Salenia Forcemaster
I am Sailor Vulcan! Champion of justice and reason! And yes, I am already aware my uniform is considered flashy, unprofessional, and borderline sexually provocative for my species by most intelligent lifeforms. I did not choose this outfit. Shut up.

Schwenkgott

• Thunderdome
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 2
    • View Profile
Re: Tournament-worthy variants
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2014, 03:39:09 AM »
The 2on2 variant (Double-Headed Mages) is a fun thing and can be very challenging. With some teleport restrictions it's balanced too.
Akiro, I have never prayed to you before. No one will remember if we were good men or bad. Why we fought, or why we died. All that matters is that one stood against many. That's what's important! Valor pleases you, Akiro... so grant me strength! And if you do not listen, then to HELL with you!

Sailor Vulcan

• Secret Identity: Imaginator
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
Re: Formats and Variants worthy of organized play
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2017, 03:31:14 PM »
I think this thread needs an overhaul. I have more experience with Academy now as well as arena, and this thread isn't very well organized.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J320A using Tapatalk

• Favourite Mage: Salenia Forcemaster
I am Sailor Vulcan! Champion of justice and reason! And yes, I am already aware my uniform is considered flashy, unprofessional, and borderline sexually provocative for my species by most intelligent lifeforms. I did not choose this outfit. Shut up.