April 29, 2024, 05:49:53 AM

Author Topic: Dealing with necromancer deathlock plus idol of pestilence  (Read 11461 times)

Mrmt

• Jr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
Dealing with necromancer deathlock plus idol of pestilence
« on: August 12, 2014, 06:12:45 PM »
When a necromancer gets down these two cards, giving everything finite life, and removing one life a turn from every living creature on the board, it's pretty much game over unless they are dealt with quick... Added to the general high bang for the buck of undead/finite life creatures, it's a nasty combo, giving the necro a huge advantage for very little cost.

Short of building up a wrecking team to take down these conjurations, what's the strategy against it? It's so dispiriting to play against.

Does any other mage have anything quite as dominant, which allows it to wreak so much havoc for so little effort?
« Last Edit: August 12, 2014, 07:01:58 PM by Mrmt »

echephron

• Player
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
  • The finest in mage wear...
    • View Profile
Re: Dealing with necromancer deathlock plus idol of pestilence
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2014, 08:32:53 PM »
The answers are:
Kill him (psst, he just blew ~14 mana on stuff that prevents him from healing)
Force hammer(or equivalent) something! if there is a conjuration your book may be concerned about, plan ahead.
Conquer
  • Favourite Mage: Wychwood Druid

Wildhorn

• Superior artificial brain, feel free to call me Blaine.
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
    • Mage Wars Quebec
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2014, 10:23:01 PM »
Deathlock screw him just as much as you. Now, can you deal 1 damage per turn more than him? If yes, don't be afraid of IoP.

sdougla2

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 19
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2014, 11:20:19 PM »
The answer is usually to kill the Necromancer, but if that's going to take too long, and a conjuration is being a real problem, just kill it. Conquer works if you're playing a Warlord, but big attacks work fine too.
  • Favourite Mage: Straywood Beastmaster

Mrmt

• Jr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2014, 02:19:45 AM »
Deathlock screw him just as much as you. Now, can you deal 1 damage per turn more than him? If yes, don't be afraid of IoP.

But he can reconstruct all his creatures... So he can heal them while I can't heal mine. Deathlock def works to his advantage.

Boocheck

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2014, 03:02:08 AM »
I would firstly ask, if you actually play against necromancer with this setup or this is just theory crafting :)

Secondly, i must agree with other guys, that as it may seem, reality is somewhat always different. If you are not beastmaster swarming or Warlord goblin swarming, you should be pretty fine.

What give me creeps are suppresion orb and mordok obelisk :)
  • Favourite Mage: Bloodwave Warlord
I am one with the force, the force is with me! (Warlord is still my fav mage ;) )

Mrmt

• Jr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2014, 03:16:04 AM »
I would firstly ask, if you actually play against necromancer with this setup or this is just theory crafting :)

Secondly, i must agree with other guys, that as it may seem, reality is somewhat always different. If you are not beastmaster swarming or Warlord goblin swarming, you should be pretty fine.

What give me creeps are suppresion orb and mordok obelisk :)

I did, last night. My big mistake was going for a wildfire imp swarm with the new warlock.

I switched when I recognised what was happening, no more imps, but by that time I had spend so much on a pentagram plus harmonise plus a couple of imps I had lost the momentum. I also made a couple of crippling mistakes, forgetting that vampirism, life drain and many of my curses had no effect on non-living creatures. I eventually got adramalech out, but it was too late, and I conceded.

I find that a big misfire early in the game leaves very little opportunity to pull back... you fight, but it's a long slow death.

Suppression orb is no problem for the imps - they teleport. The obelisk is another matter.

silverclawgrizzly

• Charlotte Mage Warrior
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2014, 03:42:55 AM »
It's not even that difficult to take an Idol of Pestilence or Deathlock with a swarm. "Hey all you minions attack that thing!" works pretty good to bring whatever you want down.
  • Favourite Mage: Straywood Beastmaster
What we must all remember is no matter the game we were all newbies at one point.

Boocheck

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2014, 04:28:35 AM »
Hmm... wildfire imps + suppresion orb... i like this!

My most played spellbook is with Sniper Dwarf and Archers Watchtower. Now with Hawkeye, Akiros Favor and +2 piercing from Warlord battle order (dont know name... is it take aim?) i dont have a problem with conjurations and most of the time, my sniper is becoming that "thing" which is need to be dealt with.
  • Favourite Mage: Bloodwave Warlord
I am one with the force, the force is with me! (Warlord is still my fav mage ;) )

Mrmt

• Jr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2014, 06:01:35 AM »
Actually, on further thought, since they cost a mana to teleport (to a burning object), I guess it amounts to the same thing...

They are awesome creatures once buffed up, but the combo needs to get going first.

sIKE

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 18
  • Ugh
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2014, 09:10:32 AM »
Actually, on further thought, since they cost a mana to teleport (to a burning object), I guess it amounts to the same thing...

They are awesome creatures once buffed up, but the combo needs to get going first.
Close but if you can spend 1 mana to get them across the board it is still much better than a 1 mana cost per zone to move.
  • Favourite Mage: Malakai Priest

barriecritzer

• Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 14, 2014, 10:21:51 AM »
Raptor vines tend to kill them fairly quickly but most of the time I ignore them and just focus on the Necromancer

Avarice

• Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 21, 2014, 05:33:08 AM »
I have played vs idol/deathlock in my campaign as a FM. I had no problem taking a measly 1 damage per round while I ignored his creatures and went for his throat. Round 6 win. He hurts himself not being able to heal. He seems very strong mid to late game with zombies/skells. Just kill him before he gets going mid to late game.

Avarice

• Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 21, 2014, 05:35:08 AM »
I'm actually playing a mirror necro vs necro this weekend in campaign. I'm brainstorming a custom book built around rush...perhaps vamps or lof... decisions. ..

GeorgeFalcon

• Playtester
  • New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
  • It's impossible to channel 1.21 Gigawatts!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 21, 2014, 12:37:56 PM »
 I have a necro deck with Otto Kronig, Master Engineer, 2x Goblin Builder, and 1 Mort. 5x wall of bones. mort can heal the walls so you just drop Idol of Pestilence, and Deathlock. and when otto or the gobs die you just Animate dead on them and keep the combo going. the mage will have the eagle claw boots and can climb over the walls after the combo is going and drop skeleton archers and nuke any offense coming his way
  • Favourite Mage: Sortilege Wizard
Roads for what we're playing we don't need roads.