April 29, 2024, 08:55:50 AM

Author Topic: First Attempts at Spellbooks  (Read 3432 times)

DaFurryFury

• Master of Dancing Robutts
  • Jr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
First Attempts at Spellbooks
« on: August 06, 2014, 10:47:33 PM »
I'm a new player and was wondering if I could get some advice for my first spell book.

Its a Fire Wizard with a focus on assassination. I prefer to play a Juggernaut type character that does a lot of damage himself, as opposed to having creatures do the work. Though, I certainly didn't omit some key themed creatures that can keep the pressure of my mage. Anyway, that's what I was going for, let me know what you think. Bear in mind I'm new and don't have all the card synergies memorized yet. :)

Wizard (Fire)

Equipment:
Staff of Arcanum
Fireshaper Ring
Elemental Wand
Elemental Cloak
Dragonscale Hauberk
Leather Gloves
Leather Boots
Moonglow Amulet
Arcane Ring
Regrowth Belt

Conjuration:
Mana Siphon
Mana Crystal        x4
Wall of Fire           x2
Mordok's Obelisk

Attacks:
Flameblast            x2
Fireball                  x3
Firestorm              x2
Ring of Fire           x2

Creatures:
Mana Leech          x3
Blue Gremlin         x2
Moonglow Faerie  x2
Huginn
Adramelech (for fun burny scarytime :)

Incantation:
Powerstrike           x5
Piercing Strike        x2
Explode                  x2
Dissolve                  x2
Dispel                     x3
Seeking Dispel        x2
Minor Heal              x2
Heal
Teleport                  x2

Enchantments:
Nullify                      x3
Circle of Fire
Essence Drain         x3
Jinx                         x2
Hawkeye
Harmonize              x2
  • Favourite Mage: Adramelech Warlock

silverclawgrizzly

• Charlotte Mage Warrior
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 4
    • View Profile
Re: First Attempts at Spellbooks
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2014, 12:44:39 AM »
Ok I'm guessing you don't have Conquest of Kumanjaro so I'll make a few base set suggestions.
1. You won't need that Heal. Between your armor and Regrowth Belt you'll be fine.
2. You'd do well with a Gorgon Archer or two. Maybe one Hydra if you can.
3. You're good on Channgeling, you don't need 4 Mana Crystals :) You're gonna have mana advantage anyway. Two is a good number for them.

The rest you just need to play and figure out on your own. Looks like a good start though. Welcome to the arena!
  • Favourite Mage: Straywood Beastmaster
What we must all remember is no matter the game we were all newbies at one point.

sdougla2

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 19
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2014, 12:52:58 AM »
I would choose more of a focus. If you want to be aggressive, choose a few creatures, enchantments to support them, and some other ways to apply pressure. If you want to do mana denial control, focus more on stalling tactics and ways to efficiently overcome threats with a heavy dose of mana denial. There are certainly other options including telepit, Gate to Voltari economy, and aggro control, but if you want to focus on an assassination/juggernaut playstyle, then Mana Siphon, Essence Drain, and Mana Leech don't belong in your build. You could use Mordok's Obelisk, Suppression Cloak, and/or Suppression Orb to stall while you setup a big kill play, as seen in the Blasting Banker build, but things that scale help more with that type of thing.

Similarly, don't run 4 Mana Crystals if you want to be aggressive. That's a huge commitment to economy. You might want to run 2, but not 4.

Power Strike may make sense if you plan to use a lot of Blue Gremlins and Moonglow Faeries, but it's a waste to use that on Lord of Fire. Plus Marked for Death is a higher priority for supporting a swarm than Power Strike anyway. Either way, you probably don't need 5 of them. Use Battle Fury as a one shot damage boost or Bear Strength for a more permanent boost.

Consider running Battle Forge. It can save you a bunch of actions, particularly if you plan to be hitting things with your mage's action much of the time.

Consider running more Teleports/Dispels, as those are particularly cheap for the Wizard.

DaFurryFury

• Jr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2014, 01:04:54 AM »
@ silverclawgrizzly
Okay thanks! Yeah I was wondering about the mana crystals. I was just thinking I could replace em if one gets destroyed early or something. Yeah Gorgons are cool but I only have the one from core set. Currently I only own 1 core + forcemaster and warlord. Is Kumanjaro a pretty good expansion for all decks? Hydras are a lot of fun. Its just the "slow" trait that makes him hard to deal with. I find the lack of low cost arcane creatures annoying. Any good ones in expansions?

@ sdougla2:
Wow, lots of neat suggestions. Will have to review your card suggestions and what not. Though one question, does being so strategy specific leave one limited in options when say, the opponent is able to beat me on the pressure game? I tried to leave a little versatility with the creatures so I could change if I needed. But if you suggest going all out I'll definitely give it a go.

Thanks for suggestions!

silverclawgrizzly

• Charlotte Mage Warrior
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2014, 01:10:00 AM »
Kumanjaro is just a good all around set. For the Wizard you get Gargoyles which are awesome Arcane creatures and you get the Wizard Tower which again is awesome.

Thing you want to do with Hydras is put Teleport on a Mage Wand and fling people at them.
What we must all remember is no matter the game we were all newbies at one point.

DaFurryFury

• Jr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2014, 01:15:24 AM »
haha I suppose that would do the trick. I'll keep that in mind.

sdougla2

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 19
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2014, 01:40:55 AM »
You generally want to include multiple lines of play in case one thing isn't working that well, but those plans should mesh together so that you can use whatever combination makes sense. For example, a Warlock may start off with a Battle Forge rush with a Necropian Vampiress, but keep the option to switch into curse control if their opponent plays really defensively. They're main lines of play are a few efficient level 3-4 creatures, equipment, enchantment buffs, and curses with Battle Forge, Ring of Curses, and Enchanter's Ring to help tie these pieces together. I have trouble seeing how a Lord of Fire rush will mesh well with a mana denial control style, though you may be able to get it to work.

One thing to keep in mind about Lord of Fire. The most efficient ways to shut down his damage output are Dragonscale Hauberk and Elemental Cloak. That's why I like to run a creature with Piercing alongside Lord of Fire. If you play a Warlock and pressure your opponent quickly with Lord of Fire and a Dark Pact Slayer Blood Reaper, then Dragonscale Hauberk only protects them against one of your threats. You could use Brogan, Steelclaw Grizzly, or even some Blue Gremlins for that role with a Wizard.

silverclawgrizzly

• Charlotte Mage Warrior
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2014, 03:15:10 AM »
Yeah I agree with Sdougla2 here, you'd be amazed how efficient Blue Gremlins can be. A fair sized swarm of em(say 3) can ruin somebodies day.

I'm not gonna say take the Lord of Fire out cause he is awesome(he just murdered like 2 Guardian Angels for me Tuesday) but be prepared to invest some buffs for him.

DaFurryFury

• Jr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2014, 12:44:33 PM »
Yeah I do have some buff spells for him. He's mostly to keep big guys away from my Wizard. but I have things like Piercing strike and Circle of Fire and nullifies to keep nasty things off em. Maybe I should add in a bear strength or bull strength?