March 28, 2024, 02:49:04 PM

Author Topic: How do I start a Tournament in my local gamestore?  (Read 37850 times)

HerrMaximuss

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
How do I start a Tournament in my local gamestore?
« on: August 01, 2014, 03:41:47 AM »
Hellow fellow gamers,

I`m playing MW for 3months now and I really like it!!

Now I`m thinking of starting a little tournament in my local gamestore.

I`ve already seen tournaments of Warhammer Fantasy, 40K, Malifaux,... But never one of MW.
So my question is:`` How do I do this?``

Is there a certain rulespack? Is it also with the swiss-pairings?
Spellbooks? I only have one Core set so it is shure not enough for a tournement, where do I get more arena`s?

I know it are alot of questions.... but if they all got answered I would be a real happy gamer ;)

Thanks in advance
Maximuss
  • Favourite Mage: Anvil Throne Warlord

lukard

Re: How do I start a Tournament in my local gamestore?
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2014, 09:42:17 AM »
Hi HerrMaximuss,

I did not see any official package yet but I find this post very good and it is a good starting point: http://forum.arcanewonders.com/index.php?topic=14175.msg37067#msg37067

Key questions for most card game tournament:
How many players are you expecting?
Do you have a marketing/publicity plan? How are you going to let your players know about the event?
Where and when is it going to take place?
What are the prizes?
If players cannot agree or are not sure about certain rules; then, who responsible to resolve rules issues. In other words, who is the judge?
What are the allowed game components? What expansions? Promo cards?

When it comes to Mage Wars "End of time" is the only rule modification I can think of. Basically, you need to clarify who is the winner when the time ends.

Hellow fellow gamers,
Is there a certain rulespack?
I do not think so.

Hellow fellow gamers,
Is it also with the swiss-pairings?
Yes for most cases.

I only have one Core set so it is shure not enough for a tournement, where do I get more arena`s?
If is a small tournament; then, I would suggest to ask some players to bring their arenas/tokens/etc. In these cases, tournaments are generally among friends and there aren't too many issues in bringing their own stuff.

These are my opinions, these are not official answers; but, I think it can help you to organizer your thoughts.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2014, 10:45:47 AM by lukard »

Toxziq

• Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
  • "Now... bring me that horizon..."
    • View Profile
    • Crits Happen
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2014, 10:25:16 AM »
Hellow fellow gamers,

I`m playing MW for 3months now and I really like it!!

Now I`m thinking of starting a little tournament in my local gamestore.

I`ve already seen tournaments of Warhammer Fantasy, 40K, Malifaux,... But never one of MW.
So my question is:`` How do I do this?``

Is there a certain rulespack? Is it also with the swiss-pairings?
Spellbooks? I only have one Core set so it is shure not enough for a tournement, where do I get more arena`s?

I know it are alot of questions.... but if they all got answered I would be a real happy gamer ;)

Thanks in advance
Maximuss

Hello HerrMaximuss, this is great to hear!  We have an organized play system where your local retailer can purchase a kit fro $12 from almost any distributor they work with (If they say their distributor doesn't have them, just let me know and I can help with that, but they should).  The latest, OP KIt #5 is Malignant Intentions.  These kits come with promo cards for prize support, and can be run by the store, by an ambassador (if one is local) or sometimes shop owners let a passionate fan like yourself run with them as well.

In any case, they provide story background and objectives for organized play.  If you'd like to see the story guide for the last kit, OP Kit 4, converging Front, for an example, you can see it here: https://www.dropbox.com/s/42qp5s3pm4e3stm/Converging%20Fronts%20-%20WEB.pdf

The kits come with promo cards, event posters and the story guides.  Promo cards are offered to winners, as well as people who have completed story objectives in the course of play. 

From there, it's a matter of coordinating the community, which can be the trickiest.  I suggest a few things to everyone doing this for the first time.  First, use the local store as much as possible.  Banners, flyers, anything that can be shared locally to let those coming into the store that you plan on organizing play is a good thing.

Second, post the event times and days on both our fourm's events section, and our facebook page (facebook.com/magewars).  Those drive a lot of awareness.

Big thing is identifying who is who in your neck of the woods that is interested and ensuring they know they can play at a local store, where and when.

Let me know if I can help at all.  My email is scottmorris[at]arcanewonders.com, hit me up anytime.  Hope all this helps.

kiwipaul

• Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2014, 10:56:26 AM »
First obvious question is .... Where are you located?  Maybe you can join us?  What is your local game store?  Maybe we can join in?

Shad0w

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2014, 01:33:39 PM »
Adding a sticky to this.

8)
"Darth come prove to meet you are worthy of the fighting for your school in the arena and not just another scholar to be discarded like an worn out rag doll"

Quote: Shad0w the Arcmage

HerrMaximuss

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2014, 03:19:57 PM »
Okay thanks everyone!!! ;)

I'll read it all properly tommorow morning ( I'm from Belgium) 22.00h here atm....
I have a gameing club in Sint-Niklaas for the Belgians among us ;)

Grtzz
Maximuss

HerrMaximuss

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2014, 12:43:39 AM »
Ok  I`ve read it all.

Now I can start looking for a date and players :)

Thanks again guys ;)

kiwipaul

• Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2014, 02:19:58 PM »
There are other enthusiastic Belgian players, have you had any contact with pete2?  He is Belgian as well. 

pete2

• Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2014, 02:22:09 AM »
Hi Kiwipaul, and hi HerrMaximuss,

Well yes, i must admit...i'm Belgian and i LOOOOOOOVE mage wars ! I've been playing MW for a bit more than a year now, and i own all the expansions (and FIF since this weekend !), a Selesnya playmat, quite some promo's and the OP kit converging fronts...i've gotten my hands on these with the help from Alfiya Pope last year..

and there is just one podcast i keep listening to : mage wars mondays from level-up !!!!  i 'm a big fan of Scott's, as i was already looking at his shows when he did his critical reviews..and he was no VP at AW yet..

i've also had a couple of games on OCTGN..but i don't play there on a regular basis...

i was introduced by my neighbour into MW, who's quite a good player (he intro'ed me into boardgames in general) My first real boardgame was Descent, and after that we played Chaos in the old world, axis and allies, Summoner wars, king of tokyo, VTE and Magic...but Mage Wars really stood out, and it is the game that we just keep playing over and over again..it just keeps being soooo challenging ! We keep building new spellooks, and when we loose with one build, we rebuild or we choose another mage, to battle eachother again and again...

I know one other guy who plays MW and who's the founder of the "Mage Wars Belgium" facebook page, maybe you should look him up : Mathias Gezel.  I've met him at the game convention "Zomerspel" in Ghent and he's a real spontaneous guy.

I saw that you have your shop in St-Niklaas, and guess what : I live in Antwerp, Linkeroever, just 20 min. from you ! Could you give the name of your shop ? i will definitely pay you a visit one of these days !

C ya !

By the way : Tomorrow night i will be fighting my neighbour with the new warlord for the first time..and i'm quite excited..tonight i'll be doing some tweaking to my build..hope i will crush him ! if i can win, i'll post a little report !  ;)

• Favourite Mage: Wychwood Druid

HerrMaximuss

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2014, 02:38:11 AM »
Wow okay thanks!!

Wel thats a good idea Pete ;)

Wel actualy it isn't really a strore more like a gaming club but we have a boardgame shop as a partner ;)

Here is the link of our site:
http://www.hqgames.be/ (if this is permitted?)

Just make an account and come see us on one off the days that we're open :)
Sent me a PM in advance, then I'll come to so that we can discuss some things :)
Like how to start a tournament.

And bring your neighbour along!!!! :O

kiwipaul

• Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 07, 2014, 05:14:56 AM »
Glad you two have matched up.  Now Belgium can become a Mage Wars powerhouse and make the Americans tremble !!!

HerrMaximuss

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 07, 2014, 07:06:58 AM »
Glad you two have matched up.  Now Belgium can become a Mage Wars powerhouse and make the Americans tremble !!!

Oow yeah!! Tremble in fear!!!

And as soon as my local gamestore merchant is back from his (weldiserved) holiday.
I'll start planning my tournament, so you Americans can come and thest us?? NO? ;)

kiwipaul

• Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 08, 2014, 01:15:03 AM »
Ha ha. maybe but O am a kiwi, though I live in The Netherlands.

pete2

• Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 08, 2014, 04:33:33 AM »
MAGE WARS LOWLANDS TOURNAMENT !!!!
  • Favourite Mage: Wychwood Druid

HerrMaximuss

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 08, 2014, 04:37:45 AM »
Ha ha. maybe but O am a kiwi, though I live in The Netherlands.

Haha, It´s oooooon!!!!!  8)

MAGE WARS LOWLANDS TOURNAMENT !!!!

You betcha!!