July 01, 2024, 12:03:50 AM

Author Topic: Expansion cards  (Read 13348 times)

Sartalo

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
Expansion cards
« on: July 25, 2014, 04:38:56 PM »
Hi All,

I have seen many posts regarding the number of certain cards included in the core sets and expansions that have come out since. I am one of those players who keeps multiple spellbooks prepared because I am usually the one supplying the game and introducing new players.  It can therefore become annoying facing the lack of certain core cards (I'm looking in your direction dispel and disolve).

My comment is this.  When a new expansion comes out and the rulesheet has a listing of the suggested cards to use as a basic spellbook utilizing a new mage, would it not be possible to include a copy of all the necessary cards? It would be a huge help, especially for new players wanting to get into the game.  Rather than immediately investing in the core box, they could purchase an expansion and could get right into the game.  For those of us who have been playing for a long time and have all the expansions, I know there are plenty of us out there who would not say no to having more copies of certain basic cards.  I mean lets face it, I have 12 spellbooks, why would I not want to have them all loaded and ready to go!

I have seen arguments about how you can put a place holder in the spellbook and then swap out the cards you require from another spellbook, but I find that a bit of an annoyance when you are trying to do it on the fly with limited time to play.  I would even love to see another "Core Spells" set that offers up another collection of previously printed (but universal and incredibly handy) spells.  Things like, dispel, disolve, block, regrowth belt, minor heal, retaliate, just to name a few.

Has anyone from Arcane Wonders commented on this possibility yet?

Wildhorn

• Superior artificial brain, feel free to call me Blaine.
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
    • Mage Wars Quebec
Re: Expansion cards
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2014, 08:44:26 PM »
If you want extra spells from the Base Box, juste buy Core Boxes. No need to add basic spells in expension, it would just increase the price and be useless for people who already have tons of these cards.

Brian VanAlstyne

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2014, 10:52:38 PM »
Yea, just spend $60. No big deal.

If Arcane Wonders doesn't see the possible monetary potential in the idea of selling core mage booster packs for $10.00 or core school spells (Holy, Dark, Nature, etc) for $10-$15, they're missing out on a world of possible money.

silverclawgrizzly

• Charlotte Mage Warrior
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2014, 04:51:15 AM »
Hehe yeah core sets don't come cheap that's for sure. Cheaper than most games to get the comparable amount of stuff but still. Spell Tomes we have out are ok but you do end up paying $20 for basically the five or six cards you wanted extras of(like oh say another Grizzly) while just taking the extras of what you don't want as well.
  • Favourite Mage: Straywood Beastmaster
What we must all remember is no matter the game we were all newbies at one point.

Boocheck

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2014, 05:03:51 AM »
Some kind of personal online expansion builder will be cool.

You will just put into basket all cards you need and order them. This kind of e-shop would be awesome :) ... and pretty complicated.

Right now, i am fine with current numbers of cards. But that doesnt mean that i dont want to hoard more of them :)

• Favourite Mage: Bloodwave Warlord
I am one with the force, the force is with me! (Warlord is still my fav mage ;) )

magerunner

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2014, 06:56:45 AM »
Some kind of personal online expansion builder will be cool.

You will just put into basket all cards you need and order them. This kind of e-shop would be awesome :) ... and pretty complicated.

Right now, i am fine with current numbers of cards. But that doesnt mean that i dont want to hoard more of them :)
This is a good idea, and not unheard of (CCG/TCG singles).  If the ideas that it could hurt the purchase of core sets, that is possible.  Core set (while expensive) offer a huge amount of cards and accessories for the price.  So much so that after a second core it be comes cumbersome to keep up with all of it.

If I could go to a card maker at arcanewonders.com and then choose X number of previously printed cards (I am thinking core set and possible some from older expansions) and then have them shipped to me.... oh yes I would.  Wanting to play a beast master (core) then realizing that you only get 2 Thundergrif Falcons per Core, very irritating. 

Sailor Vulcan

• Secret Identity: Imaginator
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2014, 09:30:26 AM »
You know how for some games if you lose certain components you can buy replacements? I'm missing my ring of curses card, and I have no idea how it went missing or where I can find it. But it would be nice if there was some way to replace just that card, even if only temporarily for an organized play event.

I'm wondering about the idea of mage booster packs where you know exactly what's in them before buying them. Not sure if this would be worth it though.

And now I just thought of another idea that will be even better. I might be wrong, but at origins if you didn't have a custom spellbook they would let you use one of their preconstructed books, right? I wonder if they could loan single cards like that? Like say, if someone is missing a ring of curses card and wants to put one in their spellbook for a tournament, the tournament organizers could lend one to them temporarily for the duration of the tournament and that card would be returned at the end just like a whole preconstructed book would be.
  • Favourite Mage: Salenia Forcemaster
I am Sailor Vulcan! Champion of justice and reason! And yes, I am already aware my uniform is considered flashy, unprofessional, and borderline sexually provocative for my species by most intelligent lifeforms. I did not choose this outfit. Shut up.

Wildhorn

• Superior artificial brain, feel free to call me Blaine.
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
    • Mage Wars Quebec
« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2014, 11:47:04 AM »
Yea, just spend $60. No big deal.

If Arcane Wonders doesn't see the possible monetary potential in the idea of selling core mage booster packs for $10.00 or core school spells (Holy, Dark, Nature, etc) for $10-$15, they're missing out on a world of possible money.

/facepalm

Yeah, Core Spell Tome 1 & 2 are absolutely not what you are asking for...

barriecritzer

• Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2014, 12:05:11 PM »
If you are going to buy both spell tomes you might at well just buy another core game and get all the extra components, if you only need 1 of the spell tomes then yes the spell tome is worth it

Master Ruprecht

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2014, 04:32:41 AM »
I totally second this. As local organiser of OP and someone wanting to spread the love for Mage Wars, I tried to have all of the preconstructed books as well as two or three own builds prepared. Sadly there is several cards missing, the Thunderrift Falcon being really annoying as even with two Cores and one of each Tomes you lack one if you want to build a Beastmaster with six Falcons.

I would love the idea of being able to buy single cards. Or preconstructed books. Or a third Tome with cards like Barracks, Falcon, Standard Bearer, Teleport, Regrowth Belt, ...
Or maybe those cards (with alternative artwork?) for OP Kits?
« Last Edit: July 27, 2014, 06:18:31 AM by Master Ruprecht »

kiwipaul

• Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 27, 2014, 08:18:25 AM »
So, where are you based Master Rupert

Laddinfance

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 27, 2014, 08:25:41 AM »
I would love the idea of being able to buy single cards. Or preconstructed books. Or a third Tome with cards like Barracks, Falcon, Standard Bearer, Teleport, Regrowth Belt, ...
Or maybe those cards (with alternative artwork?) for OP Kits?

In future OP Kits we have alternate art Teleport, Rhino Hide, and Bear Strength.

barriecritzer

• Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 27, 2014, 10:21:50 AM »
good we need more teleports, I have 2 copies of the base game and 2 of each spell tome and still run short on teleports.

Master Ruprecht

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 27, 2014, 03:55:04 PM »
In future OP Kits we have alternate art Teleport, Rhino Hide, and Bear Strength.

Great!

And I vote for Falcon, Standard Bearer and Barracks next, then Regrowth Belt, Leather Boots and Gloves   8) ;D

So, where are you based Master Rupert

I am living in Germany (Marburg at the moment, Freiburg waiting).

BoomFrog

• Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 27, 2014, 04:16:08 PM »
Why standard bearer and barracks? Those are both things you will only want 1 of in a book and only for a single mage. It's not something sl most people will run short of.