April 25, 2024, 03:41:22 AM

Author Topic: Aggressive use of spawnpoints  (Read 5158 times)

Myrddin

• Jr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
Aggressive use of spawnpoints
« on: July 25, 2014, 06:34:59 AM »
Creature spawnpoints are often thought of as defensive/economical play (battleforges are cheaper and support soloing so are a bit more complex), and obviously they have slightly less immediate aggressive pay-off than a turn 2 Lord of Fire or a Forcemaster solo rush. But I was wondering how often people used spawnpoints aggressively. There are two obvious builds for this, I think

Beastmaster. The Lair is reasonably tough and doesn't depend on anything else (unlike Barracks, Graveyard etc.) to work effectively. This allows you to run fast turn and drop it far centre.

Beastmasters gets cheap Rouse the Beast, so creatures can hit as soon as they arrive. Lots of small, cheap craetures allows you to keep the pressure up, and being in your opponents face reduces their ability to spend actions/mana on mordok's obelisk and similar. For Straywood, this works great with Pet Falcon for a brutal turn 2 attack. For Johktari, she can run and drop a Lair far centre and still have an action free for an enchantment, enchanters ring or leather boots/gloves.

Adramalech Warlock. This is slightly different as the Pentagram itself doesn't have to be far forward, as you can rely on wildfire imps instead. Place and harmonise a pentagram first turn, and then use either a lash-build or a hawkeye-flameblast build to lay down fire on your opponents with the mage: explode and ignite are useful backups!

I'm not convinced about the others: barracks is vulnerable and needs other outposts, temple of asyra needs harmonisation to summon, graveyard needs a flow of deaths to become efficient and the necromancer is squishy, trees are vulnerable to fire... you might be able to do something with gate to voltari, though.

Any thoughts?

BoomFrog

• Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
Re: Aggressive use of spawnpoints
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2014, 08:07:49 AM »
Vine tree is very aggressive and barracks works with outpost now so Barracks in starting corner, outpost in Far center is a ligit opening.

Summoning creatures is a worthwhile investment of mana up until about 2 turns before the game ends. So if the game is 8 turns long and the spawnpoint paid for itself in bonus actions within 6 turns then it was a good play. The best part of spawnpoints is that they let you keep moving even while summoning creatures. So they are good for strategies that rely on mobility, including aggressive charging.

Actually that makes me want to design an aggressive necro with libro mortus... Hmm...

Boocheck

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2014, 09:11:42 AM »
Libro Murtos is a pretty agresive spawnpoint by me. It goes everywhere with you, so you can reposition him during your whole game. If just Defend or Rouse the Beast was also targeting nonliving creatures, with right iniciative, you will be ultra agressive. Now you can only hope that Altar of Iron Guard will became a standard card soon ;)
  • Favourite Mage: Bloodwave Warlord
I am one with the force, the force is with me! (Warlord is still my fav mage ;) )

zorro

• Jr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2014, 09:15:32 AM »
Vine tree is very aggressive

I really agree with that, i think is the most aggresive spawnpoint.

I like Vine Tree (9) on starting zone, sprint to near center. Second turn, deploy vine far center, deploy second vine next to opponent's starting zone (1), deploy Raptor Vine (8+1), and enchant (2+up to 4) and rouse (3) it, move if needed (1)...

Not really possible, read below  :-X

I would consider that agressive, specialy if you get initiative on turn 3, hehe
« Last Edit: July 28, 2014, 01:54:48 AM by zorro »
  • Favourite Mage: Wychwood Druid

blackirishguilt

• Jr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
  • Ka is a wheel.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2014, 09:41:30 AM »
Definitely agree with the points already made about Vine Tree and Libro, both can be incredible aggressive.  I would also say that a Turn 1 Move, Gate to Voltari + Harmonize in NC can be very aggressive as well.  I did this last night then followed up with an Elemental Wand bound with Thunderbolt on my Wizard to start sniping into my opponents starting corner.  This allowed me to summon a Gorgon Archer extremely early to keep pressuring him and the game was over fairly quickly. 
  • Favourite Mage: Darkfenne Necromancer

ACG

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2014, 11:25:30 AM »
Vine tree is very aggressive

I really agree with that, i think is the most aggresive spawnpoint.

I like Vine Tree (9) on starting zone, sprint to near center. Second turn, deploy vine far center, deploy second vine next to opponent's starting zone (1), deploy Raptor Vine (8+1), and enchant (2+up to 4) and rouse (3) it, move if needed (1)...

I would consider that agressive, specialy if you get initiative on turn 3, hehe

I don't think that is possible. The druid can only deploy vine markers in her zone or in zones adjacent to existing vine markers, and you wouldn't have any vine markers in NC at the start of the second round. The furthest you could deploy your raptor vine is FC. Of course, if you enchant it with Cheetah Speed, you can still get it to your opponent's starting zone, and your opponent may have moved adjacent to NC anyway.

barriecritzer

• Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2014, 10:00:18 AM »
if you on round 2 and 3 spend the extra mana to deploy vines you can have a vine in the zone adjacent the your opponents starting corner by round 3. Plenty of games I have a raptor vine or Kralathor attacking my opponent on round 3 even if they have not left there starting corner.

echephron

• Player
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
  • The finest in mage wear...
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2014, 04:46:33 PM »
My get-in-your-face spawnpoints(based on how "agro" rather than how close you place them to the enemy), in order of get-in-your-face-itude are:
Pentagram(with teleporting imps)
Vine Tree
Libro(if the necro is rushing)
Lair(placed in far centre on a lady beastmaster with fast animals)
barracks/garrison post(due to new ruling)
  • Favourite Mage: Wychwood Druid