April 27, 2024, 02:10:43 PM

Author Topic: Good uses of Mindcontrol / Charm  (Read 3435 times)

Archwizard07

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
Good uses of Mindcontrol / Charm
« on: July 24, 2014, 10:53:32 AM »
So I really favor the idea of a heavy control forcemaster or potentially future siren, and wanted to find out if anyone had any good examples/stories of using mindcontrol or charm or even control/manipulation books to good effect?

Schwenkgott

• Thunderdome
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 2
    • View Profile
Re: Good uses of Mindcontrol / Charm
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2014, 12:56:41 PM »
1) Use Mordoks Obelisk in the arena or Essence Drain on a dangerous creature.

2) Cast Mind Control on the Creature.

3) Next upkeep phase: Don't pay the upkeep and discard the creature.
Akiro, I have never prayed to you before. No one will remember if we were good men or bad. Why we fought, or why we died. All that matters is that one stood against many. That's what's important! Valor pleases you, Akiro... so grant me strength! And if you do not listen, then to HELL with you!

BoomFrog

• Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2014, 03:00:00 PM »
In the official rules supplement mind control has been errataed to say that it's upkeep must be paid before any upkeep decision for the controlled creature. That loophole doesn't work anymore.

Mind control is still an excellent way to stun a creature for two rounds while also wasting everyone's spell actions. For that to be worthwhile you need to have a significant attack advantage which forcemaster usually means in your face melee with galavatar.

Charm can be an okay discount mind control but is only good on creatures that can't guard well. Either a pest or a frail ranged attacker like Grimson.

sIKE

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 18
  • Ugh
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2014, 03:23:46 PM »
Most of the time I just keep a [mwcard=MW1I06]Dispel[/mwcard] prepared when I am expecting a [mwcard=FWE07]Mind Control[/mwcard] and I try to remove it the same round, thus if it is revealed the FM has spent a lot of mana (and so have I) to get rid of it and only have my critter stunned for the round. What is even more fun now, is I can Dispel the MC and then after I activate my creature (to remove the Stun) use my QC to cast a [mwcard=MWSTX2FFI06]Defend[/mwcard] on him.

I haven't got to try this yet with the Defend, but have frustrated many FM's trying to leverage Mind Control....Defend would just be a cherry on top.
  • Favourite Mage: Malakai Priest

Wildhorn

• Superior artificial brain, feel free to call me Blaine.
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
    • Mage Wars Quebec
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2014, 03:32:46 PM »
@Boomfrog. The errata force you to pay MC upkeep first, but after that you can decide to not pay creature upkeep and kill it. It just cost more mana than before, that's all.