April 28, 2024, 06:26:20 AM

Author Topic: Goblin Swarm?  (Read 5776 times)

Boocheck

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
Goblin Swarm?
« on: July 21, 2014, 09:52:03 AM »
First of all, this may also belong to SB construction but i am in a middle of this process, so i hope, i post it in the right section.

Well, Goblin swarm. It amazes me that no one ever try to build one (or at least write about it here on forums :) ) Right now, i am trying to create goblin swarm using

6 goblin grunts
2 goblin alchemists
3 goblin slingers
2 goblin builders
1 gurmash

1 rnd: My opening would be barracs plus construction yard. (19 - 12 - 7 = 0 Mana) and moving in low middle.
2 rnd: G.builder from barracs, Signet ring from QC and full cast goblin grunt (9/+2/+1/ - 4 -3 -3 =  0/0/+1)
3 rnd: G. Grunt from barracs, G. Grunt from Fullcast and A.tower as QS (9/+2(2)/+1(2) -3 -4 - 4 = 2/0/0)

I would like to use a builder for Altar of Carnage deployment or Garison post deployment. My concern is, if goblins gruns are not too much squishy so it would be better to start casting goblin slingers right away and use battle orders for increased ranged dmg.

I would welcome any kind of insight. I am gonna tinker around until next week when i will have finally time to have a normal game for my build testing :)
  • Favourite Mage: Bloodwave Warlord
I am one with the force, the force is with me! (Warlord is still my fav mage ;) )

Wildhorn

• Superior artificial brain, feel free to call me Blaine.
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
    • Mage Wars Quebec
Re: Goblin Swarm?
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2014, 10:01:49 AM »
I would say you would need Armory out asap to give them some survivability. Then having a Standard (preferably not on a goblin) to boost them even more is needed too.

Boocheck

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2014, 10:24:20 AM »
I was considering that but was not convinced, that bonus +1 armor will still not let them survive medium attacks. Maybe combined with standard and with battle order from dwarf.
I am one with the force, the force is with me! (Warlord is still my fav mage ;) )

MageHorst

• Jr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
  • MiĆ©villean Tentacle
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2014, 10:44:47 AM »
I'm working on one as well. :) With the Bloodwave Warlord, however. From your last post I deduce that you want to use the Anvil Throne Mage?

I haven't tried him yet, but I think a Goblin Swarm with Armory would be great with the Bloodwave Warlord because of the Veteran tokens. Armory (Piercing +1) + Charge (Battle Order) make those wimpy Goblins hit surprisingly hard - and if you have several of them, one or the other will earn a Veteran token. Thus, you can have a Goblin with Melee 4, Piercing +1, and 2 Armour (not counting the Standard Bearer bonus). Still, most of them will die. But hey, it's called the Bloodwave for a reason. ;)

Another advantage of the Armory is that it counts as an outpost and therefore adds to your Barracks' mana supply.

A (very) slow opening could be:
(19) Barracks (12), Garrison Post (4) = 3
(12+2) Signet Ring (3), cast (not Deploy) Grunt (3) = 6+2
(15+4) Deploy Grunt (3), Armory (10) = 5+1
14+4: Deploy Grunt (3), Fullcast Gurmash (11), hidden Standard Bearer on Gurmash (2) = 1+1
Yes, warlord! No other victory feels more rewarding. =)

Boocheck

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2014, 11:39:00 AM »
yeah, i was thinking about dwarf because of his fast trait battle order. This way, i can manipulate with "goblin horde" much more easily. Orc has also his charm when declaring charge attack.

What i imagine is a situation, when i can simultaneously attack with more or all goblins thx to fast trait better than using few goblins with charge battle order (more dice for attacks). VET tokens are cool on medium creatures. I am afraid that gobling grunts will not benefit from VET tokens longer period than one round.

My local meta is that noone plays swarms these days, so i dont have to prepare countermeasures for suppresion orb or mordok obelisk. Despite this fact, i will include 2 conquers into my build. What disturbs me little bit is, that CONQUER, is not a command subtype (no, i am not starting any kind of campaing for changes!!!) when first Command of akiro actually was Conquer! (see the command ring fluff). Thus, i will be not able to stay at base with my mage and use Gurmash to do it. Wizard tower or battle forge are somehwat auto include these days :)

My second possible way how to use goblin grunts was to be a meatshield for goblin slingers but that would force me to stray away from goblin horde builde to range oriented build.

BoomFrog

• Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2014, 08:38:29 PM »
IMO, the way to do goblin horde is all pile in one space using fortified position, standard bearer and armory to boost your horde. Use slingers to force the enemy to come to you.

Haven't actually tried it yet, but life tree and healing well are both great for hordes. Use an asearean defender for a standard bearer.

Boocheck

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2014, 12:53:04 AM »
Asyran as a standard bearer for blood wave :-)  i will definetly use it :-)

I am afraid of mass sleep or firestorm. This is the reason i want for my goblins to be in two groups and higly mobile. Akiros battlecry is a nice card for this but little bit pricy.

MageHorst

• Jr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
  • MiĆ©villean Tentacle
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2014, 02:04:14 AM »
If you favour smaller but mobile groups, Horn of Gothos might become highly interesting because it helps so much with those battle orders: one quick action and 2 mana for the Mage (provided you have Ring of Command), and all Gobbos in the arena are fast or sturdy until the end of the turn.

Asyran Defender as Standard Bearer: sounds good, too!
Yes, warlord! No other victory feels more rewarding. =)

Boocheck

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2014, 01:46:05 PM »
I am nearly finished so i will be able to post my initial spellbook in spellbook section during friday or weekend. So far, it seems that goblin swarm could theoretically work. My greatest enemies are AOE attacks, mass sleep, suppresion orb, idol of pestilence, altar of skulls, graveyard, mordok obelisk and barriers. As mentioned above, i will try to overcome this obstacles with mobility and CONQUER spell.

What i think about was adding eterian life tree into game. It seems, that those +2 innate life will play for my swarm better then for few big strategy or solo mage type of game play, if that my enemy will be using it. I still cannot imagine beastmaster swarm against my goblin swarm. I will need to create an alternate strategy for this (mass goblin slingers?)

After long thinking i will include armory and rolling fog.

Asyran defender was added. I will call him frog :)

Archwizard07

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2014, 08:11:48 AM »
Have you thought about a flying goblin engineer to help get outposts across the arena quickly and provide them some small amount of staying power to help spread your swarm?

Or flying/teleporting goblin (exploders?) for kamikaze airborne assaults into a fortified enemy position

Just some quick random thoughts.

Boocheck

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2014, 08:25:39 AM »
Building and exploding requiers a full action. Bomber now is really inefficient when comes to mana/effect ratio. Giving it winds = much more inefficient mana/effect ratio. I really like that idea.

I was going to try flying dwarf sniper, because LOS restrictions would go off and he will be able to shoot targets in his sector :)