April 27, 2024, 07:51:04 PM

Author Topic: Wounded Warrior Tournament: Charlotte NC  (Read 25035 times)

silverclawgrizzly

• Charlotte Mage Warrior
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 4
    • View Profile
Re: Wounded Warrior Tournament: Charlotte NC
« Reply #30 on: September 15, 2014, 06:33:26 PM »
Maverick what I'm actually gonna do is get a Christopher Walken standee, put it in front of a spell book and board then write "Maverick" on it and let people play you in case of a bye round 8)
  • Favourite Mage: Straywood Beastmaster
What we must all remember is no matter the game we were all newbies at one point.

Maverick

• Ambassador - Twin Cities MN
  • Playtester
  • Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
  • I got a fever, and the only cure is Mage Wars!
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 15, 2014, 06:38:38 PM »
Bwahahahahahaha! "I have a fever and the only thing that can cure it is more cowbell Mage Wars!"
  • Favourite Mage: Bloodwave Warlord
Easy, guys.. I put my pants on just like the rest of you -- one leg at a time. Except, once my pants are on, I win Mage Wars!

Laddinfance

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 15, 2014, 06:42:09 PM »
"I put my pants on one leg at a time, just like everyone else. Except then I make gold records win Mage Wars!"

silverclawgrizzly

• Charlotte Mage Warrior
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 15, 2014, 06:44:56 PM »
Switching celebrities:

"I'm here to chew bubblegum and play Mage Wars. I'm all out of bubble gum."
What we must all remember is no matter the game we were all newbies at one point.

silverclawgrizzly

• Charlotte Mage Warrior
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 29, 2014, 09:01:45 PM »
You may now register for the Mace Convention and for events:

http://www.justusproductions.com/index.php/mace/registration

After getting your ticket you may then go to the Games tab and get set up to sign on for games. Always cheaper to pre-pay than to pay at the door.

V10lentray

• Member of Arcane Duels
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 30, 2014, 10:58:49 AM »
Switching celebrities:

"I'm here to chew bubblegum and play Mage Wars. I'm all out of bubble gum."

technically, it would be -

"I have come here to chew bubblegum and play Mage Wars…and I’m all out of bubblegum.”
  • Favourite Mage: Wychwood Druid

silverclawgrizzly

• Charlotte Mage Warrior
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 11, 2014, 03:37:56 AM »
Just at a month away now. Who will reign supreme? I'm looking forward to meeting all the Mage Warriors coming. Prize support is set, all is prepped. Now we just begin the waiting.

silverclawgrizzly

• Charlotte Mage Warrior
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 01, 2014, 12:37:32 AM »
One week from today all sorts of awesome if gonna go down in the Queen City. I am so pumped to finally get to run this. Enough preparing lets rock!

silverclawgrizzly

• Charlotte Mage Warrior
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 07, 2014, 11:52:55 PM »
After one day I have exceeded my financial goal for the Wounded Warrior Event. I am in fact over by about $10. The actual tournament, as well as an entire day of demoing still awaits me tomorrow. I've taught, oh I dunno, about 8 people how to play this game today and helped my local players train for the tournament.

I. Am. An. Exhausted. Grizzly. :P

Maverick

• Ambassador - Twin Cities MN
  • Playtester
  • Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
  • I got a fever, and the only cure is Mage Wars!
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: November 08, 2014, 02:31:28 AM »
I raise a glass in your honor! You are an example for us all. ;D
  • Favourite Mage: Bloodwave Warlord
Easy, guys.. I put my pants on just like the rest of you -- one leg at a time. Except, once my pants are on, I win Mage Wars!

silverclawgrizzly

• Charlotte Mage Warrior
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: November 08, 2014, 11:31:37 PM »
Sooooo tired.....tournament ended at 8pm today. Winner crowned...pictures coming....results coming....books coming. Raised $560 for the Wounded Warrior Project. Force Master won. Priestess got second. Force Master got 3rd. Wizard(Earth) got 4th.

So much fun. I played 8 consecutive games on Friday back to back. I then played more today when I got in at 9am on 3 hours(and that's being generous) sleep. I haven't won a game all weekend cause I've been teaching and demoing. I'm going to friggin murder the next Mage I play.....several days from now.

Mission successful. Going to bed, then I'm gonna go play Shadowrun tomorrow.

Thanks to all that supported and helped.

silverclawgrizzly

• Charlotte Mage Warrior
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: November 09, 2014, 04:53:44 PM »
Ok here is the actual run down of events.

Friday I got to the convention at 3pm and unloaded the massive amount of prize support I had. Though I did apparently forget to bring the roll up map and artwork. For the best really as my demo table got busy fast. I'll state this now: If not for the other Charlotte Mage Warriors I could not have done this by myself. From 3pm-1am I was non-stop teaching/playing/demoing/talking Mage Wars. I did not get a seconds breathing room. The game was VERY popular and I kept hearing "I've always wanted to try this but....." Yeah the dealers room sold out of core sets by the time it closed Friday. I eventually got all the newbies together and had them compete in a "newbie tournament" for some of the smaller prizes. That went over like free candy at fat kid camp. I wrote down all their names....I'll find that list when I go through my bags.

Saturday I woke up after getting little sleep cause my third shift working booty didn't adjust as well as it normally does and I drank too much caffeine the night before. Whatever I'm a Silverclaw Grizzle thus I can do anything, so long as my friends are backing me up again and they were. I got to the con at 9am. The local Mage Warriors all wanted to practice for the tournament but nobody wanted to use their actual books against each other. This led to them fighting it out with their "B Books." More new people came by and I showed them the game and taught some of them.

At 1pm I left the demo table in the hands of some of the other players while I went out to eat with some more. I got attacked by an angry yellow jacket and my Japanese food was horrible. This has no bearing on anything Mage Wars....just putting that in there for excitement. For the record I'm alive and the yellow jacket isn't.

At 2pm I moved all the prize support to the Tournament Hall. This was a giant ballroom where all the convention tournaments were going on. Legend of the Five Rings, Hero Clix, Marvel Dice Masters, and something else were going down. We ended up with 12 people in our tournament which was double the next highest turn out. We rule, they drool. The pizzas Papa Johns donated came in and I gave some of them to the other tournaments. Again that went down like candy at fat camp(I heard that expression and now it's my new thing.)

At 3pm I paired everyone up and we got down to business. The players and their mages were:

John E(Force Master)
VS
Josh W(Araxian Crown Warlock)

Brian V(Priestess)
VS
Andrew N(Necromancer)

Jimillia W(Wizard Air)
VS
Logan(Wizard Earth)

Sara B(Force Master)
VS
Kiara M(Priestess)

John M(Wizard Earth)
VS
Adam M(Adramelech Warlock)

Rob R(Druid)
VS
Joseph C(Priestess)

In the end the top six were:

1st: John E(Force Master)
2nd: Joseph C(Priestess)
3rd: Sara B(Force Master)
4th: John M(Wizard Earth)
5th: Brian V(Priestess)
6th: Jimillia W(Wizard Air)

I'll note that several matches came down to very close calls and those rankings almost looked very different indeed. Jimillia in particular showed incredible skill but she lost very close matches against Brian and Joe that could have easily gone her way and neither of her losses came from Mage death.

In the end Johns Force Master stood triumphant after 4 rounds. He took one of the artworks donated by Lord of Winter and a t-shirt donated by Arcane Wonders. Joe took another of the artwork and the roll up map. Sara took the last of the artwork and Forged in Fire. John M took the core set.

The champ John E has requested that next year Karate Kid III rules be in effect so he'd only have to fight in the last round.....but I think I'm just gonna ask him to help me judge instead lol.

V10lentray

• Member of Arcane Duels
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: November 10, 2014, 10:09:58 AM »
Excellent job Silverclaw Grizzly.

Way to spread the love of MageWars while helping an excellent Cause!
  • Favourite Mage: Wychwood Druid

Sailor Vulcan

• Secret Identity: Imaginator
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: November 10, 2014, 01:27:07 PM »

Excellent job Silverclaw Grizzly.

Way to spread the love of MageWars while helping an excellent Cause!

Exactly what he said. Excellent job!
  • Favourite Mage: Salenia Forcemaster
I am Sailor Vulcan! Champion of justice and reason! And yes, I am already aware my uniform is considered flashy, unprofessional, and borderline sexually provocative for my species by most intelligent lifeforms. I did not choose this outfit. Shut up.

silverclawgrizzly

• Charlotte Mage Warrior
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: November 10, 2014, 01:35:21 PM »
November 13-15 2015 I do this all over again. Start prepping those spell books now friends cause there may be a special celebrity guests..... ;D