May 01, 2024, 11:01:27 PM

Author Topic: Gremlin Power  (Read 9733 times)

Doucotasisay

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
Gremlin Power
« on: July 19, 2014, 11:15:36 PM »
The best synergy with lion savagery ever has to be blue gremlins. Think about it, they cannot be hindered, they have innate fast (costs a mana, but still) and the teleport function means that nothing will stop them, from getting their charge bonus not even walls. they're pretty cheap at 7 mana and with lion savagery they have a 5 dice attack with two piercing. Any thoughts?
« Last Edit: July 20, 2014, 12:14:25 AM by Doucotasisay »

echephron

• Player
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
  • The finest in mage wear...
    • View Profile
Re: Gremlin Power
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2014, 03:39:40 AM »
good catch. my other lions savagery targets are falcons, cervere, and an elusive lady beastmaster.
  • Favourite Mage: Wychwood Druid

Boocheck

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2014, 09:54:45 AM »
So WildFire Imp will also benefit from Lion Savagery... hmm...
  • Favourite Mage: Bloodwave Warlord
I am one with the force, the force is with me! (Warlord is still my fav mage ;) )

AsianChexMix

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2014, 10:26:20 AM »
So WildFire Imp will also benefit from Lion Savagery... hmm...

My understanding is that it won't work with Wildfire Imp because it teleports instead of taking a move action which would not allow it to get the charge from Lion Savagery but I could be wrong here.
  • Favourite Mage: Adramelech Warlock

Wildhorn

• Superior artificial brain, feel free to call me Blaine.
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
    • Mage Wars Quebec
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2014, 10:44:22 AM »
[mwcard=MW1C05]Blue Gremlin[/mwcard]

From the FAQ:

Blue Gremlin
Teleporting to a zone counts the same as a move action for the purpose of the number of actions you can
perform in a round, but are not “move actions” for any other purpose. Thus, by paying the 1 mana, Blue
Gremlin could teleport twice, and then take a quick action. He can do this even if hindered (hindering has no
effect on Teleporting).

[mwcard=DNC04]Grey Wraith[/mwcard]

[mwcard=MWSTX2FFC13]Wildfire Imp[/mwcard]

Charge +X
Creature gains +X attack dice for its very next melee attack, if it makes that
attack immediately after it takes a move action, and moves at least 1 zone.

So charge would not be effective because they do not take a move action.

Summary for clarification: No charge bonus for anybody.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2014, 12:40:47 PM by Wildhorn »

jacksmack

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 19
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2014, 11:06:40 AM »
Im interested in an official ruling.

I have always played with that gremlin can get charge bonus with his teleport ability.

sIKE

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 18
  • Ugh
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2014, 11:15:09 AM »

I have always played with that gremlin can get charge bonus with his teleport ability.

The FAQ says: Teleporting to a zone counts the same as a move action for the purpose of the number of actions you can perform in a round, but are not “move actions” for any other purpose.

So I do not think that you can use Lion Savagery and Teleport twice to get the charge buff. However you could teleport once (say through a wall or past a Vine Marker) and then a regular move into a second zone to get the charge buff.
  • Favourite Mage: Malakai Priest

AsianChexMix

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2014, 11:18:44 AM »

The FAQ says: Teleporting to a zone counts the same as a move action for the purpose of the number of actions you can perform in a round, but are not “move actions” for any other purpose.

So I do not think that you can use Lion Savagery and Teleport twice to get the charge buff. However you could teleport once (say through a wall or past a Vine Marker) and then a regular move into a second zone to get the charge buff.

That makes sense if it's a mage who has Lion Savagery on it to use QC for Teleport and then move to activate the Charge. Our question is on Wildfire Imp, Grey Wraith and Blue Gremlin. From the way the wording dictates, I was under the impression that only Gremlin would get the Charge as the other creatures teleport instead of their move action.
  • Favourite Mage: Adramelech Warlock

sIKE

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 18
  • Ugh
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2014, 11:23:16 AM »
Their wording includes "may" so they can make regular move actions to get the Charge bonus, but will not get this bonus when they teleport.

baronzaltor

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 19
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2014, 11:43:52 AM »
Necropian Vampiress+Cheetah Speed is pretty boss with Lion Savagrey.  She can selectively fly to avoid being hindered, and the pierce helps ensure she does at least a few points of damage, which of course ensures a few points of healing

Wildhorn

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
    • Mage Wars Quebec
« Reply #10 on: July 20, 2014, 11:53:12 AM »

The Gremlin will get the charge bonus because unlike the other 2, the teleport is part of his move action (the other 2 teleport instead of their move action).

Doucotasisay

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 20, 2014, 12:03:51 PM »
That's how I was reading it, I would be way sad for that to not be the case.

The text from Gremlin says he gains the fast trait until the end of the round, and his move action is a teleport from one zone to the next whereas the Grey Wraith say he may teleport instead of taking a move action
« Last Edit: July 20, 2014, 12:06:57 PM by Doucotasisay »

sIKE

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 18
  • Ugh
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 20, 2014, 12:13:17 PM »

I have bolded and underlined why you will not get the bonus off of Lion Savagery.

Wildhorn

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
    • Mage Wars Quebec
« Reply #13 on: July 20, 2014, 12:35:19 PM »

This is sad. Did you see Jumper movie? The guy in the cave teleportmultiple time  to charge like a madman ;)

But yeah, the FAQ about Blue Gremlin is clear. No charge bonus. I will edit my post with that.

They can't teleport for first move then move normal for 2nd move. The text says all move actions for this round become Teleport.

Arlemus

• Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 20, 2014, 01:16:02 PM »
So not only does it not work but this whole discussion is besides the fact that putting any kind of enchantment on such a low level, low health creature is almost always a bad idea.  Level 1's are easily outclassed, and by investing more mana (and actions) into them you're 1-2 attacks away from losing your investment.

I don't think it would be a good idea even if BG's got the bonus...

Don't get me wrong though, post the release of acid ball low level creatures are great.  Blue gremlins are very efficiently costed and generically strong for the mana, but that doesn't mean you should risk mana on their frail body.

• Favourite Mage: Darkfenne Necromancer