April 23, 2024, 09:06:54 AM

Author Topic: How to create and narrate a fictional game of mage wars in less than an hour?  (Read 6748 times)

Sailor Vulcan

• Secret Identity: Imaginator
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
I'm really stuck on this. So far I've thought of/recieved the following ideas:

1. Don't narrate the whole game.
2. Narrate a game of mage wars you have already played, rather than trying to create one from scratch.
3. Narrate only games in a shorter alternate format
4. Don't write the story all by yourself

There are limitations for all three ideas that I've come up with. Option 1 makes for a really disappointing read which does not describe a game of mage wars adequately.

Option 3 is not really an option for obvious reasons, it was more of an idea born from desparation. It's a last resort in order to write mage wars fanfiction if all else fails.

Option 2 is the best one, but no one ever wants to have their games recorded on OCTGN, and the game logs are ridiculously difficult to read.

Option 4 might work, and it's compatible with option 2, but also suffers from the same problem that option 2 has of not enough people who want to help write it.

Anyone else have any other ideas? I really want to keep writing Mage Wars fanfictions, but this has been an ongoing barrier to my writing.

Thanks!
« Last Edit: July 09, 2014, 03:18:02 PM by Imaginator »
  • Favourite Mage: Salenia Forcemaster
I am Sailor Vulcan! Champion of justice and reason! And yes, I am already aware my uniform is considered flashy, unprofessional, and borderline sexually provocative for my species by most intelligent lifeforms. I did not choose this outfit. Shut up.

blackirishguilt

• Jr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
  • Ka is a wheel.
    • View Profile
You know, I've been very interested in doing something like this as well.  I'm actually working on a piece that would serve as a prologue for a RPG style Mage Wars campaign, but recording a battle is an awesome idea.  Here's a pitch for you:  what if we play out a game via post/email that way we both have the round by round action and results, then we each write the battle from our Mage's perspective and either intertwine the two or offer both independently?  It would take more than an hour but might be more feasible. 
  • Favourite Mage: Darkfenne Necromancer

Sailor Vulcan

• Secret Identity: Imaginator
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
That would be awesome! When are you available to do that? I don't think it's enough to solve the problem entirely, but it's a start. I'll add collaboration to the list of ideas for making narrating games take less time.
  • Favourite Mage: Salenia Forcemaster
I am Sailor Vulcan! Champion of justice and reason! And yes, I am already aware my uniform is considered flashy, unprofessional, and borderline sexually provocative for my species by most intelligent lifeforms. I did not choose this outfit. Shut up.

blackirishguilt

• Jr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
  • Ka is a wheel.
    • View Profile
Well, I work M-F 8-5 EST and that's when I do most of my forum going since I'm at a computer all day.  If I know to bring my spell book with me I can post pretty much anytime during those hours pretty regularly.  Evenings I'm free after 9 when the wee ones go to bed. 
  • Favourite Mage: Darkfenne Necromancer