May 01, 2024, 07:05:05 AM

Author Topic: Bloodwave Warlord V1 (Post FiF)  (Read 3158 times)

Arlemus

• Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
Bloodwave Warlord V1 (Post FiF)
« on: July 03, 2014, 01:07:21 PM »
Finally got a hold of my copy of FiF yesterday.  Augmented my book to fit in everything I think I wanted from FiF, then played a game (and won  ;))  Since the database isn't updated for FiF yet, had to type it out.  Here it is:

--------------------------------------
Creatures:
1x Gurmash
1x Thorg
4x Orc Butcher
1x Bloodcrag Minotaur
1x Goblin Builder
1x Anvil Throne Crossbowman
1x Goblin Alchemist
2x Goblin Slinger
1x Goblin Grunt

Enchantments:
1x Standard Bearer
1x Rhino Hide
1x Fortified Position
1x Poisoned Blood
1x Agony
1x Fumble
1x Brace Yourself

Equipment:
1x Harshforge Plate
1x Ring of Command
1x General's Signet Ring
1x Helm of Command
1x Morning Star

Incantations:
1x Perfect Strike
1x Conquer
1x Whirling Strike
2x Power Strike
1x Sniper Shot
2x Defend
1x Battle Fury
1x Piercing Strike
1x Charge
1x Dissolve
1x Group Heal
2x Flank Attack
2x Dispel
1x Teleport
2x Minor Heal
1x Force Push

Attacks:
1x Hurl Rock
2x Acid Ball
1x Hurl Boulder
1x Surging Wave

Conjurations:
1x Construction Yard
1x Barracks
1x Armory
1x Harshforge Monolith
1x Rolling Fog
1x Wall of Earth
1x Altar of Carnage
1x Tanglevine
1x Garrison Post
-------------------------------------

Opening:
Turn 1: Barracks in NC, Construction Yard in starting zone.
Turn 2: Deploy Butcher, move (or don't) and cast General's ring
Turn 3: Deploy Butcher, cast Command Ring, Possible Charge +1 Battle order, Power Strike for 1 mana, or defend for 0.

The general strat is to make butchers and buff them.  Standard bearer, Armory, command incantations, etc, all work great.  Once you start stacking buffs they all add up to something surprisingly impressive.

Obviously, the build isn't fully optimized yet, but I think it's on its way.  I think there could be more potential space opening up due to Harshforge, brace yourself, etc, making certain arcane spells less important, but I need to seem them in action to know for sure.  Also, I'm not sure where Altar of Carnage fits into the build; I'd much rather have an armory ASAP, from what I've seen.

Thanks for any input  ;)
  • Favourite Mage: Darkfenne Necromancer

Boocheck

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
Re: Bloodwave Warlord V1 (Post FiF)
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2014, 02:56:43 PM »
Why do you have 1 gobling grunt there? I am just curious about reasons :)
  • Favourite Mage: Bloodwave Warlord
I am one with the force, the force is with me! (Warlord is still my fav mage ;) )

sdougla2

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 19
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2014, 03:48:58 PM »
With this type of build, I would rather use multiple Goblin Alchemists than Acid Ball for stripping armor.

Altar of Carnage isn't something you want to play right away, you wait until you have at least 3 soldiers, at which point it pays for itself much faster than most mana generation cards. I dropped it in a game where I already had a ton of board presence, and started generating another 4-5 mana/round. And I used the mana from Construction Yard, so I didn't even need to pay much for it.
  • Favourite Mage: Straywood Beastmaster

Arlemus

• Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2014, 05:35:58 PM »
Why do you have 1 gobling grunt there? I am just curious about reasons :)

I find that on average there's 1-2 times a game when I could use some extra creature dice but need most of my mana for something else and don't have the mana for a butcher.  Grunts fill that spot :P.  That said I might flex him out for another builder or something...

Arlemus

• Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2014, 05:45:39 PM »
With this type of build, I would rather use multiple Goblin Alchemists than Acid Ball for stripping armor.

Altar of Carnage isn't something you want to play right away, you wait until you have at least 3 soldiers, at which point it pays for itself much faster than most mana generation cards. I dropped it in a game where I already had a ton of board presence, and started generating another 4-5 mana/round. And I used the mana from Construction Yard, so I didn't even need to pay much for it.

Oh yeah you're definitely right about the alchemists vs acid ball.  I'll trade at least one out for another alchemist, maybe all of them. Acid ball is still awesome so maybe just having 1 would be fine.

And yeah, altar definitely doesn't function until you get enough guys out.  In the game I played I had to choose either Armory or AoC and Armory felt like the easy choice because I was still vying for control of the middle zones and needed the buffs.  Though, choosing AoC wouldve let me channel a ton with 3 butchers and a ATC out...I hope to try it out soon.  Seems like it could help a ton with late game transition into minotaurs, thorg, etc.