April 24, 2024, 09:13:38 PM

Author Topic: Wizards of Sortilege  (Read 6538 times)

Dralln4

• Playtester
  • New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
Wizards of Sortilege
« on: August 06, 2012, 10:07:41 AM »
Sortilege is one of the most diverse nations in Etheira, as Wizards tend to place much emphasis of personal freedom and individuality.  They do however respect magical power and knowledge.  The nation is a hot bed of feuding traditions, mystic orders, ancient gurus, and charismatic leaders.  

Post here, and let us know about your Wizard.  Is he a solitary practitioner? Professor at a magical college (non-accredited)? Magic item manufacturing entrepreneur?  The sky's the limit.

Klaxas

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
Re: Wizards of Sortilege
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2012, 03:16:38 PM »
Argus. extreemly gifted in magic at a young age, he spend his early years (16-24ish) creating and selling a variety of small mundane magic items for use in the home.  this made him a small fortune as these items would be mysteriously misplaced and forgotten by thier owners only to return into his possession to be resold.  this combined with a few wise investments has left him without a care in the world, except one.....  knowledge.  

Argus craved it.  his desire to know was unquenchable.  Currently in his late years he is the person to find to get answers on more topics than you could count, that is if you can find him.  Many colleges have been attempting to recruit Argus for decades with no success.  He wanders the lands searching for lost tombs, forgotten relics and aged books.  Some whisper that he is attempting to find a way to enter the Voltari plane physicaly.  a feat that would be unmatched.

Why Argus enters the arena is uncertain like so much about him.  Some say he needs the life energy of mages to enter Voltari, or that he has alredy entered and come out mad.  The truth would surprise them.  The mage that enters the arena is but a construct, far more complex than any known.  Argus enjoys the arena as most would enjoy a good game of chess.  A battle of wits with little real danger.... at least for him.
Favorite Mage: The one I am using.

Hekireky

• Playtester
  • Jr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2012, 05:19:34 PM »
"Magic is but a word, that causes so much confussion in our realm, that a simple toy with an enchanted speaking spell is considered magic... But who are we to judge how magic looks or feels like. It is enough for us to understand it, that it exists to be used for greater or worse purposes. Magic does not understand whether it will create harmony or reign destruction, it will only serve the one who commands it. We never cared or invested our time to know, if what we do with it is right.Good or Bad. We think that all the engines and mechanizations with magic is considered a great feat.We even think Magic is enough to elect somebody as powerful as Autokrator and consider it our spokesperson, who stands and talks for all of us wizards.

I am here to tell you, that I do not want to belong to this shallow community. I am here to tell you, that... I finally understand the meaning of it... Decades of research and travelling has gifted me with an insight like no other. It  actually exists at some plane and powers us all : creatures,plants,breathing,flying,sky,existence...

I want all of you to know, that we have to supress and understand for what purpose we should use it.

The first thing we should do as the wizards of Sortilege is to banish the Mage Wars ! This vile arena keeps using mana for no purpose at all than to prove something that is not worth proving. Something so useless, that it makes a magic wielding creature look like an ignorant and ungrateful towards Magic itself. ALL I ASK FOR YOU IS !... ! .. ack........" - Sparrowhawk, professor of Philosophy and Magic, at Bastion of Wonders

Sparrowhawk was murdered the day he showed his face in public and announced these ground-breaking news. However, after so much time he had invested in magic, this wasn't really something that could stop him.He was not murdered, he simply placed a powerful replacement body, filled with magic, which could be  considered as a clone. He wanted the response and he got what he was expecting. So he hid from society and those who hunt him for years and learned all new magic, that gave him powers beyond the scope of Autokrator. Now, he has promised that in the name of Magic, he will step into the Mage Wars arena and slay anything or anyone, for the sake of saving Magic's limitation that lets exist everything. This is the first thing of many that he will try to achieve and reduce the usage of Magic. He bears grudge at those who use Magic at the Mage Wars arena. He is the Wizard, whom everyone will fear and his name will be remembered as: Thesius...

Dragkin

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2012, 07:54:54 PM »
The library had a warmth to it. Books lined the walls on all sides, different titles written on the spine in as many languages as there were books. Light poured into the library from a small window that was placed on the far wall, giving the wizard a fine view of the room. A large painting hung meticulously over the fire place, that currently had a nice fire going inside of it, and along smaller shelves were small, magical instruments and tools that the wizard had collected over the years. The wizard absent mindedly thumbed through the book that sat on his lap, his mind currently elsewhere as it was prone to do.  The page he had landed on had the image of a demon printed on its fine, weathered page. The wizard didn't need to look at the words to know it was Moloch. " Damn warlocks, they never have a new spell," he said as he slammed the book and shut and got up. He placed the book on the shelf. Stepping back, he looked at his books. He could make our books belonging to the Church of Asyra, books that belonged to Warlock and Beastmasters and other wizards too. He saw books that belonged to as many different wizards as he could count.

He turned to face the door. " I guess its time to collect another book then," he said as he began to walk out. His name is Tomasu, a Wizard of Sortilege and collector of spellbooks. He takes the books from those he defeats in the arena.

Shad0w

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2012, 01:19:12 PM »
Quote from: "Dralln4" post=143
Sortilege is one of the most diverse nations in Etheira, as Wizards tend to place much emphasis of personal freedom and individuality.  They do however respect magical power and knowledge.  The nation is a hot bed of feuding traditions, mystic orders, ancient gurus, and charismatic leaders.  

Post here, and let us know about your Wizard.  Is he a solitary practitioner? Professor at a magical college (non-accredited)? Magic item manufacturing entrepreneur?  The sky's the limit.

To get more of the story I will post what I have. Once I get permission to use the story bible cut outs ( Mods please post response here http://magewars.com/jsite/forum/world-and-lore/201-voltari )

http://magewars.com/jsite/forum/world-and-lore/319-story-bible-wizards-of-sortilege

For some reason all the story bible files had been removed even though I had permission to post them (here was the thread http://magewars.com/jsite/forum/world-and-lore/201-voltari). Sorry all.
"Darth come prove to meet you are worthy of the fighting for your school in the arena and not just another scholar to be discarded like an worn out rag doll"

Quote: Shad0w the Arcmage

Shad0w

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2012, 03:47:20 AM »
We talked it over and I understand why it got taken down. This was not the final version and it was still being worked on. I am sorry for any confusion that this caused
"Darth come prove to meet you are worthy of the fighting for your school in the arena and not just another scholar to be discarded like an worn out rag doll"

Quote: Shad0w the Arcmage

Fenix86

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2013, 02:59:47 AM »
Quote from: "Hekireky" post=167
"Magic is but a word, that causes so much confussion in our realm, that a simple toy with an enchanted speaking spell is considered magic... But who are we to judge how magic looks or feels like. It is enough for us to understand it, that it exists to be used for greater or worse purposes. Magic does not understand whether it will create harmony or reign destruction, it will only serve the one who commands it. We never cared or invested our time to know, if what we do with it is right.Good or Bad. We think that all the engines and mechanizations with magic is considered a great feat.We even think Magic is enough to elect somebody as powerful as Autokrator and consider it our spokesperson, who stands and talks for all of us wizards.

I am here to tell you, that I do not want to belong to this shallow community. I am here to tell you, that... I finally understand the meaning of it... Decades of research and travelling has gifted me with an insight like no other. It  actually exists at some plane and powers us all : creatures,plants,breathing,flying,sky,existence...

I want all of you to know, that we have to supress and understand for what purpose we should use it.

The first thing we should do as the wizards of Sortilege is to banish the Mage Wars ! This vile arena keeps using mana for no purpose at all than to prove something that is not worth proving. Something so useless, that it makes a magic wielding creature look like an ignorant and ungrateful towards Magic itself. ALL I ASK FOR YOU IS !... ! .. ack........" - Sparrowhawk, professor of Philosophy and Magic, at Bastion of Wonders

Sparrowhawk was murdered the day he showed his face in public and announced these ground-breaking news. However, after so much time he had invested in magic, this wasn't really something that could stop him.He was not murdered, he simply placed a powerful replacement body, filled with magic, which could be  considered as a clone. He wanted the response and he got what he was expecting. So he hid from society and those who hunt him for years and learned all new magic, that gave him powers beyond the scope of Autokrator. Now, he has promised that in the name of Magic, he will step into the Mage Wars arena and slay anything or anyone, for the sake of saving Magic's limitation that lets exist everything. This is the first thing of many that he will try to achieve and reduce the usage of Magic. He bears grudge at those who use Magic at the Mage Wars arena. He is the Wizard, whom everyone will fear and his name will be remembered as: Thesius...

Do you happen to be a fan of Ursula K. LeGuin? The notion of balance and the pattern, as well as the name Sparrowhawk, all reminded me of her Earthsea series.