March 28, 2024, 03:58:54 AM

Author Topic: Alternate Necromancer  (Read 47144 times)

silverclawgrizzly

• Charlotte Mage Warrior
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 4
    • View Profile
Alternate Necromancer
« on: May 31, 2014, 10:22:39 PM »
Yeah I figure we're a LONG way off from getting alternates to the Druid or Necromancer as they're fairly recent additions but I was thinking a little on it and this is what I pondered.

As there's a nation in Etheria that is Egyptian themed(I read it mentioned when they previewed Pharoahs Cheetah and those Kickstarter cards) wouldn't it be cool if we got a third option for the Necromancer to focus on: Mummies! Also since Egyptians did a lot of scientific work with alchemy and death sciences there'd be a wealth of stuff for an Egyptian themed Necromancer to tap into. Maybe a late game Sutekh appearance or something.

Plenty of material in fantasy works for mummy use as well obviously.
  • Favourite Mage: Straywood Beastmaster
What we must all remember is no matter the game we were all newbies at one point.

Lord0fWinter

• Warden of the North
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 7
  • www.magewars.weebly.com
    • View Profile
Re: Alternate Necromancer
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2014, 10:42:00 PM »
Yeah I figure we're a LONG way off from getting alternates to the Druid or Necromancer as they're fairly recent additions but I was thinking a little on it and this is what I pondered.

As there's a nation in Etheria that is Egyptian themed(I read it mentioned when they previewed Pharoahs Cheetah and those Kickstarter cards) wouldn't it be cool if we got a third option for the Necromancer to focus on: Mummies! Also since Egyptians did a lot of scientific work with alchemy and death sciences there'd be a wealth of stuff for an Egyptian themed Necromancer to tap into. Maybe a late game Sutekh appearance or something.

That would be pretty awesome. I hadn't thought about that. The lore of this game intrigues me though, I'm still hoping we get a book or something along those lines. The organized play stuff is great but it always leaves me wanting more.

They mentioned recently on FB that they were partnering with Dynamite, a comic book company, so those should be cool as well.

Back on topic though, I hope we see more of the Egyptian themed stuff. I'm sure we will since there's a whole nation dedicated to it. And since each nation seems to have at least one Mage associated with it (I believe that's the case), it's a safe bet there will be one for that nation as well. & the Alt Necromancer would make pretty good sense.
  • Favourite Mage: Darkfenne Necromancer
Visit my Mage Wars blog at www.magewars.weebly.com, also check me out on facebook at https://www.facebook.com/MageWarsBlog and on twitter at @MageWarsBlog

silverclawgrizzly

• Charlotte Mage Warrior
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2014, 10:44:29 PM »
I would be all over some Mage Wars comic books. But yeah some novels would be cool too.
  • Favourite Mage: Straywood Beastmaster
What we must all remember is no matter the game we were all newbies at one point.

Myrddin

• Jr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2014, 01:22:30 PM »

Wouldn't be surprised. Nice for the idea of a more 'religious' necromancer. He could work well with laying traps (to catch tomb robbers... except isn't he a tomb robber?)

Warhammer did a similar thing to this: traditional necromancers were vampires/mages leading zombies and skeletons, but the 'Tomb Kings' are the ancient Kings of Egypt  Khemri returned to take vengeance on those who thought that they could take the land just because everyone was dead.

echephron

• Player
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
  • The finest in mage wear...
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2014, 08:55:09 PM »
I like the idea. No poison affinity or eternal servant, so i dont know what kind of abilities she would have.
  • Favourite Mage: Wychwood Druid

Wildhorn

• Superior artificial brain, feel free to call me Blaine.
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
    • Mage Wars Quebec
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2014, 01:36:22 PM »
I like the idea. No poison affinity or eternal servant, so i dont know what kind of abilities she would have.

Raise The Ancients: Necromancer can ignore range when he summon undead creatures.
Mummy: Necromancer has the Non-Living trait.

Chriz007

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2014, 06:40:53 AM »
I really hope Arcane Wonders are reading this thread! I love the idea of a mummy style necro !
I also really want to see novels and comics, it would also be cool if they used the Arkham horror/mtg models for those; ie they come with special alternative art promos.
UK Mage Wars Ambassador

Sailor Vulcan

• Secret Identity: Imaginator
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2014, 12:32:26 PM »
The original Necromancer has the choice to specialize in zombies/skeletons. Perhaps instead of just mummies, there should be a second option. An Egyptian mummy/ghost Necromancer sounds really cool.
  • Favourite Mage: Salenia Forcemaster
I am Sailor Vulcan! Champion of justice and reason! And yes, I am already aware my uniform is considered flashy, unprofessional, and borderline sexually provocative for my species by most intelligent lifeforms. I did not choose this outfit. Shut up.

Arlemus

• Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2014, 03:38:20 PM »

Raise The Ancients: Necromancer can ignore range when he summon undead creatures.
Mummy: Necromancer has the Non-Living trait.

That first ability would be so broken, lol.  Turn 1 13+ mana undead guy in your opponents zone, gg.

Also, idk if anyone else saw it in their facebook pictures, but I'm pretty sure art of the alternate necro was on AW's banner at Origins.

Lord0fWinter

• Warden of the North
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 7
  • www.magewars.weebly.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2014, 04:24:13 PM »
Also, idk if anyone else saw it in their facebook pictures, but I'm pretty sure art of the alternate necro was on AW's banner at Origins.

I don't think so. The only 2 Mages I saw on there that haven't been released are the Paladin and Siren.

Left side (top-bottom): Paladin, Female Warlock, Druid, Priest, Forcemaster, Beastmaster, Warlock
Right side (top-bottom): Siren, Dwarven Warlord, Necro, JBM, Warlord, Wizard, Priestess

I agree about the ability though. Maybe it can summon them up to a zone away if it wants to? I think that would be thematic and not nearly as op.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2014, 04:35:44 PM by Lord0fWinter »
Visit my Mage Wars blog at www.magewars.weebly.com, also check me out on facebook at https://www.facebook.com/MageWarsBlog and on twitter at @MageWarsBlog

Myrddin

• Jr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 13, 2014, 12:49:47 AM »
On the distance-summoning, if you made it a one-off (like Pet etc.) I don't know if it would be OP. After all, if you're summoning something under your opponent's feet, you're also summoning something that they're well positioned to deal with and you're not well positioned to support. Maybe it's because I've only played against zombie builds that this doesn't sound so scary: I quite like the idea of my opponent putting zombies in my corner, I'd only leave them behind as I chased him down!

MrSaucy

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 13, 2014, 09:49:25 PM »
I just hope the next Necromancer gets more undead creatures that aren't zombies or skeletons. I'm all for some more ghouls, mummies, and undead insects. An egyptian theme would be pretty cool. (Makes me think of the Vengeful Pharaoh from magic the gathering)
"See you space cowboy..."

Boocheck

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 14, 2014, 03:55:43 AM »
I must agree, that necromancer inspired by egypt mythology would be uber cool!
  • Favourite Mage: Bloodwave Warlord
I am one with the force, the force is with me! (Warlord is still my fav mage ;) )

Elessar

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 22, 2014, 10:24:31 PM »
There's a lot to work with there.  I really like some of these ideas. 

Mummies, sure.  (All with Flame +2)  8)
Scarabs / carrion beetles.  I like the idea of an insect swarm. 
More ghosts or spirits.
By the time we get an alt. necro, terrain should be in the game.  How about sand dunes or sandstorms that obscure your creatures from the enemy until it's too late?  We already have fog-type stuff, sure, but sand would be more thematic.  Or if we wanted to keep it in-school, how about black mist?  Maybe an ability could be to spread it similar to the druid's vines? 

Here's a question: do you think we'd get the alt. druid in the same set?  And what would the alt. druid look like? 

Sailor Vulcan

• Secret Identity: Imaginator
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 23, 2014, 01:33:14 PM »

There's a lot to work with there.  I really like some of these ideas. 

Mummies, sure.  (All with Flame +2)  8)
Scarabs / carrion beetles.  I like the idea of an insect swarm. 
More ghosts or spirits.
By the time we get an alt. necro, terrain should be in the game.  How about sand dunes or sandstorms that obscure your creatures from the enemy until it's too late?  We already have fog-type stuff, sure, but sand would be more thematic.  Or if we wanted to keep it in-school, how about black mist?  Maybe an ability could be to spread it similar to the druid's vines? 

Here's a question: do you think we'd get the alt. druid in the same set?  And what would the alt. druid look like?

Leprechaun. The alt Druid MUST be a leprechaun. If he's not I'm going to cry.
  • Favourite Mage: Salenia Forcemaster
I am Sailor Vulcan! Champion of justice and reason! And yes, I am already aware my uniform is considered flashy, unprofessional, and borderline sexually provocative for my species by most intelligent lifeforms. I did not choose this outfit. Shut up.