June 01, 2024, 12:47:58 PM

Author Topic: Teaser Tuesday @All Us Geeks - Preview: Devil's Trident  (Read 7110 times)

Laddinfance

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 2
    • View Profile
Teaser Tuesday @All Us Geeks - Preview: Devil's Trident
« on: April 29, 2014, 08:46:20 AM »
Interested in this new attack spell? Well you can find it at the Teaser Tuesday Section of the All Us Geeks webpage. Right >>HERE<<. So what are you going to skewer?

Lord0fWinter

• Warden of the North
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 7
  • www.magewars.weebly.com
    • View Profile
Re: Teaser Tuesday @All Us Geeks - Preview: Devil's Trident
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2014, 08:50:14 AM »
That artwork is amazing, as per usual. I love the card. So cool!

First attack card with piercing, interesting! Plus chance of cripple and burn!

Blog post coming shortly ;)

Edit: Is the reason it can only target creatures because of the Piercing +2? That seems to be the only logical explanation to me. It's the first attack card that can't hit conjurations.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2014, 09:02:35 AM by Lord0fWinter »
  • Favourite Mage: Darkfenne Necromancer
Visit my Mage Wars blog at www.magewars.weebly.com, also check me out on facebook at https://www.facebook.com/MageWarsBlog and on twitter at @MageWarsBlog

Lord0fWinter

• Warden of the North
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 7
  • www.magewars.weebly.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2014, 09:18:23 AM »
Blog post is up, check out what I think of the spell and let me know what you think of it as well!

Make sure to subscribe to the blog, check me out on Facebook at https://www.facebook.com/MageWarsBlog and on twitter at @MageWarsBlog for updates when things get posted!
  • Favourite Mage: Darkfenne Necromancer
Visit my Mage Wars blog at www.magewars.weebly.com, also check me out on facebook at https://www.facebook.com/MageWarsBlog and on twitter at @MageWarsBlog

Boocheck

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2014, 10:11:50 AM »
I want to be sure, if i get a 9+ on yellow dice, it is not a cripple? Thats cool!

And also, Cripple is a poison condition, so against undead it is not that cool :(

I love this spell and artwork is superb!!!

• Favourite Mage: Bloodwave Warlord
I am one with the force, the force is with me! (Warlord is still my fav mage ;) )

baronzaltor

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 19
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2014, 12:09:34 PM »
Edit: Is the reason it can only target creatures because of the Piercing +2? That seems to be the only logical explanation to me. It's the first attack card that can't hit conjurations.

If I had to guess, it was for the sake of the Druid and Warlord.   With Trees and Outposts having Flame+2, and this having 2 Pierce, it can shred a Druids Treebond/Spawnpoint very cheaply.  And thats not even factoring in a Fireshaper Ring.  Same thing for Warlord's outposts and War Machines.

Also..  Trident Wand= Harpoon gun.

silverclawgrizzly

• Charlotte Mage Warrior
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2014, 01:10:22 PM »
This is a very nice attack spell. I like that it only targets creatures, cause yeah otherwise so long stupid magic Druid trees. The piercing  is a rarity in attack spells if I'm not mistaken. Not too expensive, not over powered, I can see this living on my Elemental Wand.
  • Favourite Mage: Straywood Beastmaster
What we must all remember is no matter the game we were all newbies at one point.

ringkichard

• Flightless Funpire
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 18
  • Kich, if you prefer.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2014, 01:21:12 PM »
This thing's a misery seeking missile, and as such, only works on things that can feel the excruciating pain of hellfire.  ;) 
I can take the fun out of anything. It's true; here, look at this spreadsheet.

silverclawgrizzly

• Charlotte Mage Warrior
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2014, 01:25:25 PM »
Add in the Smoldering Curses and a Fireshaper Ring and this thing gets nasty fast. I'm gonna use it to kill a Druids stupid plants mostly :) Come here Kralathor!
  • Favourite Mage: Straywood Beastmaster
What we must all remember is no matter the game we were all newbies at one point.

Mortuss

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2014, 02:23:24 PM »
so the article says:
"Chance to cripple the target leaving it stuck in place. Against targets with Flame +x traits the odds of being crippled will not go up, while the odds of being burned will."
Does that mean that if the opponent has a flame +2 creature and i roll 8, there is still cripple? And if i roll 2, there isnt any? If so, then why? I thought the damage type +x affects the effect die based on the type of attack, not on type of condition.

Laddinfance

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2014, 02:27:40 PM »
This is because the cripple effect is still on the same amount of numbers, whereas when you add to the effect roll you're increasing the number of results that will give a burn.

NerdGuy

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2014, 02:41:25 PM »
This card is beyond cool.  Ranged, piercing, burn and cripple all rolled up into a very cool looking package.  The urge to burninate opposing mages is quickly rising.  Also, I think this card is now my favorite piece of Mage Wars art.

Wildhorn

• Superior artificial brain, feel free to call me Blaine.
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
    • Mage Wars Quebec
« Reply #11 on: April 29, 2014, 03:00:11 PM »
so the article says:
"Chance to cripple the target leaving it stuck in place. Against targets with Flame +x traits the odds of being crippled will not go up, while the odds of being burned will."
Does that mean that if the opponent has a flame +2 creature and i roll 8, there is still cripple? And if i roll 2, there isnt any? If so, then why? I thought the damage type +x affects the effect die based on the type of attack, not on type of condition.

This is a comon mistake (for ToL, now Trident). You add the +2 (if it is Flame +2) to the number rolled on your dice. You do not modify the numbers printed on the card.

Laddinfance

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 29, 2014, 03:01:28 PM »
Flame +2 adds to dice and effect rolls.

Mortuss

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 29, 2014, 03:55:24 PM »
yeah, it works as i thought, i've just understood the sentence in the article incorrectly, thx for explaining.
EDIT:Though about it some more and became confused again  :(, if the creature had flame +3, then the cripple would only apply on 5 results instead of 6 right? so the probability of cripple would go down a bit?
« Last Edit: April 29, 2014, 04:04:26 PM by Mortuss »

sIKE

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 18
  • Ugh
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 29, 2014, 04:16:10 PM »
Here's is the way I do it:

Roll the d12

take the number you rolled (as an example you roll a 7) and add and/or subtract the condition effect additions and reductions .i.e Flame +2 and Tough -2 and Flame -2

so 7+2-2-2=5

Now look at the card and that will be the number that you use to determine if an effect is applied.

• Favourite Mage: Malakai Priest