April 27, 2024, 12:30:04 AM

Author Topic: Togorath , a big fake?  (Read 25780 times)

Shad0w

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
Re: Togorath , a big fake?
« Reply #30 on: May 10, 2014, 06:29:23 PM »
Keep it civil everbody.
"Darth come prove to meet you are worthy of the fighting for your school in the arena and not just another scholar to be discarded like an worn out rag doll"

Quote: Shad0w the Arcmage

isel

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 10, 2014, 08:57:41 PM »
Every Necro should have a [mwcard=MW1E08]Death Link[/mwcard]ed [mwcard=DNC18]Togorah, Forest Sentinel[/mwcard] standing in the middle of the [mwcard=DNJ04]Graveyard[/mwcard].
It's simply a matter of style.

Never played with him, but I think Togo is a cool design.  8)
It's a tragedy Druid can't Treebond him.

Poor poor togo, now its the keeper of the graveyard...snifff

Aylin

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 10, 2014, 10:28:57 PM »
Every Necro should have a [mwcard=MW1E08]Death Link[/mwcard]ed [mwcard=DNC18]Togorah, Forest Sentinel[/mwcard] standing in the middle of the [mwcard=DNJ04]Graveyard[/mwcard].

Not sure a 21 mana 12 spellpoint creature (for Necromancer) would ever be worth it.

sIKE

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 18
  • Ugh
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 10, 2014, 10:43:52 PM »

Not sure a 21 mana 12 spellpoint creature (for Necromancer) would ever be worth it.
Hide a Darkfeene Bat in the Necros start corner with a Regrowth Enchantment....
  • Favourite Mage: Malakai Priest

Black Magic

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 04, 2014, 12:26:58 AM »
Togorath is good. Maybe the imagery of the LOTR and Treebeard smashing stuff is what has skewered perspectives :P

Expensive yes. Slow yes. Is he a standalone offensive wincon? No. (Though you might be forgiven for thinking he looks like one) So if this is the bad where is the good?

He is purely a defensive/support unit. He defends dominates a zone or supports an offensive by absorbing enemy actions through Vigilance/Intercept. Against wolf packs/blobs/+2 decent fliers I look no further than Togorath. He controls what hits you take and and takes a lot of them.

Unmentioned so far (i think) is the Lifebond ability if you Treebond with Togorath, which you are going to do every time. Suddenly he is capable of healing 4 health a turn! Lifebond 2 Regenerate 2. Put Barkskin on Druid now nobody is even loosing health. He and the Druid can tank a lot and i mean a lot of damage this way.

ahh wouldn't that be nice...:(
« Last Edit: June 04, 2014, 11:29:23 PM by Black Magic »
  • Favourite Mage: Wychwood Druid
A Druid for all Seasons: http://forum.arcanewonders.com/index.php?topic=14188.msg37235#msg37235
Sectarus Toolbox (coming soon)

jacksmack

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 19
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 04, 2014, 08:14:46 AM »
Togorath is good. Maybe the imagery of the LOTR and Treebeard smashing stuff is what has skewered perspectives :P

Expensive yes. Slow yes. Is he a standalone offensive wincon? No. (Though you might be forgiven for thinking he looks like one) So if this is the bad where is the good?

He is purely a defensive/support unit. He defends dominates a zone or supports (meaning you never send him in alone) an offensive by absorbing enemy actions through Vigilance/Intercept.

Unmentioned so far (i think) is the Lifebond ability if you Treebond with Togorath, which you are going to do every time. Suddenly he is capable of healing 4 health a turn! Lifebond 2 Regenerate 2. Put Barkskin on Druid now nobody is even loosing health. He and the Druid can tank a lot and i mean a lot of damage this way.

Against wolf packs/blobs/+2 decent fliers I look no further than Togorath. He controls what hits you take and is the best healer in the game when Treebonded. No other unit i have played with comes close to being able to tank what this tree can.

Understand him as action control/defensive support unit and he comes into his own.

"when a friendly tree conjuration comes into play"

Wildhorn

• Superior artificial brain, feel free to call me Blaine.
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
    • Mage Wars Quebec
« Reply #36 on: June 04, 2014, 08:20:09 AM »
Yeah, you cant Treebond with him. But he is still an amazing defender et he will see more plays in druid build to protect the Vine Tree with all the fire stuff coming in FiF

Black Magic

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 04, 2014, 06:55:10 PM »
Yeah, you cant Treebond with him. But he is still an amazing defender et he will see more plays in druid build to protect the Vine Tree with all the fire stuff coming in FiF

welp scatch part of that, still learning :P My and my friends bad, tree bond the tree right, right?

I will nonetheless play him for the other reasons.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2014, 09:01:09 PM by Black Magic »
A Druid for all Seasons: http://forum.arcanewonders.com/index.php?topic=14188.msg37235#msg37235
Sectarus Toolbox (coming soon)

echephron

• Player
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
  • The finest in mage wear...
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: June 04, 2014, 08:48:40 PM »
I've always been disappointed i cant treebond this guy, because that would be so very awesome. I'd prefer a weaker treedude if that meant i could treebond him.

Sailor Vulcan

• Secret Identity: Imaginator
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 04, 2014, 10:44:06 PM »
I don't think he would need a tree bond if he were just one mana less to summon. I tried a tank Druid using Togorah for a while with this opening.

Round 1: Etherian life tree move to NC
Round 2: use a decoy to fake a nullify. Reveal decoy and summon Togorah. Not enough mana for anything else this round.
  • Favourite Mage: Salenia Forcemaster
I am Sailor Vulcan! Champion of justice and reason! And yes, I am already aware my uniform is considered flashy, unprofessional, and borderline sexually provocative for my species by most intelligent lifeforms. I did not choose this outfit. Shut up.

Aylin

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: June 04, 2014, 11:07:37 PM »

I think Guardian Angel would be a better choice. No Flame +2, 9 mana less to summon, same spellpoint cost for a Druid, Guardian Angel has a defense which Togorah lacks, and Guardian Angel will benefit more from Raincloud (netting Flame -2, heal 2 damage when guarding, and Regenerate 1 as opposed to Regenerate 2).

Also the Angel will get more benefit out of the Nature defensive enchantments, Rhino Hide and Regrowth, than Togorah will.

Sailor Vulcan

• Secret Identity: Imaginator
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: June 05, 2014, 10:41:55 AM »
I think people aren't understanding how they're supposed to play Togorah. The reason you play Togorah is his stats and abilities:

6 Dice attack with Reach and can Daze or Stun: can attack the enemy mage or attack threats

Vigilant: Always guards at end of his action phase as a free action

Intercept: can protect stuff from ranged attacks while guarding

Now since he costs 21 mana and has vigilant, it's hard to see him staying in one place all game protecting a vine tree that would be better protected by bloodspine walls, vine markers and tanglevines etc, especially considering that he also has a 6 dice attack. Unlike all the other trees which always stay put, Togorah is a MOVING TREE. What he wants to do is protect another creature (or perhaps a moving conjuration?) while it sets up and/or attacks the enemy mage. Togorah can also get some attacks in before it guards using its vigilant trait. It can even move twice before guarding! Since Togorah costs so much mana, you'll want it protecting your mage, and maybe you'll want to summon a low-cost creature that you can buff over time to also protect.
  • Favourite Mage: Salenia Forcemaster
I am Sailor Vulcan! Champion of justice and reason! And yes, I am already aware my uniform is considered flashy, unprofessional, and borderline sexually provocative for my species by most intelligent lifeforms. I did not choose this outfit. Shut up.

Doucotasisay

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: July 19, 2014, 03:51:10 PM »
Togy has saved me on multiple occasions, someone was after me with a beast master, had a pack of wolves on me, with togorath around i was able to kill one and absorb another, instead of taking 24 dice of damage I only took twelve, between life bond and bark skin the i got away largely unscathed, next turn he takes another wolf out, absorbs two attacks, i took another one and the beast master was on the run. hit him with a stuck from my vinewhip staff and gave him what was coming. I <3 Togy.

Sirscott13

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: September 17, 2014, 04:54:56 PM »
The way I use him is to guard my tree bonded vine tree. He protects the tree and anyone who tries to get in there to kill them is in for a bad surprise.

He is not so much a guard as... well... a sentinel.

He is one more reason to avoid going into that zone. Do not move him unless there is nothing to protect.

Also, when the siren comes out all the druids creatures are gonna be handy

Maverick

• Ambassador - Twin Cities MN
  • Playtester
  • Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
  • I got a fever, and the only cure is Mage Wars!
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: September 18, 2014, 07:24:09 PM »
I would use him for any strategy that would instead wall itself in. He is more action efficient then casting a bunch of walls around you and if worse comes to worse he can even walk with you.
  • Favourite Mage: Bloodwave Warlord
Easy, guys.. I put my pants on just like the rest of you -- one leg at a time. Except, once my pants are on, I win Mage Wars!