July 05, 2024, 03:33:35 AM

Author Topic: Casting same equipment...  (Read 6803 times)

lukard

Casting same equipment...
« on: April 25, 2014, 11:12:55 PM »
The rule book states:

You may not have more than one equipment spell with the same name attached to your Mage at any time.

When an equipment spell resolves with a location that is already taken (such as casting a second weapon), the original equipment is returned to the owner’s spellbook (it is notdiscarded).

Assume my Mage has Bearskin attached. Can I cast a second Bearskin? So, the first Bearskin goes to my spellbook; next, I can get rid of corrodes; finally, the second Bearskin still attached to my Mage.

silverclawgrizzly

• Charlotte Mage Warrior
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 4
    • View Profile
Re: Casting same equipment...
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2014, 11:24:13 PM »
Yeah from the way I understand it this is a perfectly viable way of getting rid of Corrode tokens.
  • Favourite Mage: Straywood Beastmaster
What we must all remember is no matter the game we were all newbies at one point.

sdougla2

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 19
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2014, 12:30:30 AM »
That is correct.
  • Favourite Mage: Straywood Beastmaster

Zuberi

• Rules Guru
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 57
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2014, 01:56:36 AM »
As others have said, you are entirely correct. This is expanded upon on pages 9 & 10 of the FAQ if you want to read longer paragraphs explaining the details.

lukard

« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2014, 05:30:49 AM »
Thanks guys for the prompted reply.

As others have said, you are entirely correct. This is expanded upon on pages 9 & 10 of the FAQ if you want to read longer paragraphs explaining the details.

@Zuberi: I missed that. I was reading the session regarding "Corrode" instead. That's super clear now!

Sailor Vulcan

• Secret Identity: Imaginator
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2014, 12:30:11 PM »
I can't believe I didn't know this! For some reason I thought that the original equipment is discarded unless it has cantrip. Then again, I haven't really had much reason to replace my equipments like this before.
  • Favourite Mage: Salenia Forcemaster
I am Sailor Vulcan! Champion of justice and reason! And yes, I am already aware my uniform is considered flashy, unprofessional, and borderline sexually provocative for my species by most intelligent lifeforms. I did not choose this outfit. Shut up.

Shad0w

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2014, 08:50:58 PM »
Zuberi thanks for getting this. Yup the first equip is sent back. 8)
"Darth come prove to meet you are worthy of the fighting for your school in the arena and not just another scholar to be discarded like an worn out rag doll"

Quote: Shad0w the Arcmage

Avarice

• Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2014, 11:01:18 AM »
This would be almost the equivalent of casting two scimitars. Autonomous attack a target, quickcast the 2nd scimitar, u get another autonomous attack. 6 dice, plus double strike if you are using FM for another 8 die, w/o buffs. Not too shabby

sIKE

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 18
  • Ugh
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2014, 11:48:49 AM »
This would be almost the equivalent of casting two scimitars. Autonomous attack a target, quickcast the 2nd scimitar, u get another autonomous attack. 6 dice, plus double strike if you are using FM for another 8 die, w/o buffs. Not too shabby
The Scimitar can only attack after the Mages action, so subbing them in and out is a mana sink.
  • Favourite Mage: Malakai Priest

Zuberi

• Rules Guru
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 57
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2014, 11:52:44 AM »
I never thought about the 2nd Scimitar possibility. That's a very interesting idea. My first reaction was "Yeah, you could act with the Mage, attack with the Scimitar, Quick Cast another Scimitar, and attack again." But then I reread the Autonomous description.

Unlike similar effects which say "after the creature's action phase" the description for Autonomous says "at the end of the creature's Action Phase." This very well might be splitting hairs, but it does leave some room for doubt. It's possible that the Scimitar's attack is considered part of the creature's action phase still, and after that has been done and the Action Phase is over with, you couldn't use another Scimitar.

Again, I'm not certain how to rule this one. I don't think Quick Casting a 2nd Scimitar is any more powerful than a Flameblast or similar spell, so I don't see any reason currently to disallow the tactic, but I did want to point out the possibility that it might not be allowed. It all depends on how you interpret "at the end."

Avarice

• Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2014, 12:07:55 PM »
Yeah, Zub, that's how it was played in a tourney game in NY. Swap, and double attack. I can see higher damage qc's, however it would a FM finesse win if it was done in last round, I guess. Lol

Shad0w

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 09, 2014, 12:25:49 PM »
I would have to look over all the timing rules for this but I do know one of the reason it was move to at end of action was to help prevent this. It used to be before or after a friendly action just like QC.
"Darth come prove to meet you are worthy of the fighting for your school in the arena and not just another scholar to be discarded like an worn out rag doll"

ACG

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 09, 2014, 12:42:54 PM »
When an equipment spell resolves with a location that is already taken (such as casting a second weapon), the original equipment is returned to the owner’s spellbook (it is notdiscarded).

Casting another scimitar is illegal, but not for the reasons mentioned. The new scimitar does not take up the same equipment location as the old one (since it does not take up any equipment location at all) and therefore does not send the old one back to the owner's spellbook, meaning you would have two items with the same name attached to your mage, which is illegal.

Shad0w

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 09, 2014, 12:50:00 PM »
In this case location would not matter. It would go to the ( no object can have things of the same name attached.)  Then the rule about replacing equipment.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2014, 02:00:39 PM by Shad0w »

Zuberi

• Rules Guru
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 57
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 09, 2014, 04:07:02 PM »
Page 10 of the FAQ says that equipment with the same name is treated in the same way as equipment occupying the same location. Thus, the rule does apply to the Scimitar and it would be replaced.

Quote from: FAQ
If an equipment object of the same name OR location is cast upon a Mage, if the spell is friendly controlled, the new equipment object is placed on the Mage, and the duplicate item (the original one which has the same name OR location) is removed and placed in its owner’s spellbook.

Emphasis within the quote is mine.