April 20, 2024, 02:56:37 AM

Author Topic: RANGE : teleport / battleforge / lair (..and spawnpoints in general)  (Read 8541 times)

pete2

• Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
i just had a game of MW on OCTGN yesterday, and apparently my playgroup and i have been making some errors when playing some spells, related to range.

1) teleport : is it correct that you can not teleport further than 2 zones ? Except when you teleport another object from 2 zones away, to 2 zones further (so here 4 in total)
2) battleforge : is it correct to say that in order to get equipment on your mage from forge, you always have to be within 0-1 zones from forge ? We used to equip our mages all over the arena, with the forge in our starting corner of the arena...
3)lair : if the range 0-1 on forge is the range for it to cast equipment, is it also true for lair, that it can cast creatures in its own zone as well as one zone away ?

So the range on top of a spell is not only the range to cast the card itself - mage can cast "lair" one zone away - but it is also the range of the card itself to cast its own magic ?

Thx for helping, because this will rock the way we used to play mage wars !
  • Favourite Mage: Wychwood Druid

silverclawgrizzly

• Charlotte Mage Warrior
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 4
    • View Profile
Re: RANGE : teleport / battleforge / lair (..and spawnpoints in general)
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2014, 02:54:12 AM »
Ok here we go.

1. You are correct on Teleport.
2. The range to cast the Battleforge itself is 0-1. Once it's out it can cast equipment on a mage 0-2 squares away. That's the standard range for equipment spells. When casting a spell always go with the range listed on the spell you are casting.
3. Thus a Lair can only summon creatures into it's own square.
  • Favourite Mage: Straywood Beastmaster
What we must all remember is no matter the game we were all newbies at one point.

Zuberi

• Rules Guru
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 57
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2014, 03:43:39 AM »
I already responded to these questions on boardgamegeek.com tonight, and so when I saw you had posted the questions here as well I figured I would simply copy and paste my response from there. However, when I went back to bgg, I found that Facebreaker had actually posted a better response than I.

Quote from: Facebreaker
All of these questions are due to a misunderstanding of "Casting Range". Casting Range is the distance at which a spell can target an object from the caster. A spell has a Casting Range. Casters DO NOT have a Casting Range. A mage, Battleforge, Lair, familiar, can cast spells anywhere. The limited range is the range of the Spell they are casting. Lets look at your questions:

Quote from: pete2
1) teleport : is it correct that you can not teleport further than 2 zones ? Except when you teleport another object from 2 zones away, to 2 zones further (so here 4 in total)

The casting range of Teleport is 2 zones. Teleport targets a Creature and a Zone, both of which must be within 2 zones of the caster. Nothing else matters. So when standing in a center zone, a caster can Teleport a creature in one of 10 Zones to any of those same 10 Zones (line of sight willing).

2) battleforge : is it correct to say that in order to get equipment on your mage from forge, you always have to be within 0-1 zones from forge ? We used to equip our mages all over the arena, with the forge in our starting corner of the arena...

Equipment spells all have a Casting Range of 0-2. This means that Battleforge could cast a spell on a mage that is up to 2 zones away. The 0-1 you are refering to is the Casting Range of Battleforge itself, which applies only when the mage first creates the forge.

3)lair : if the range 0-1 on forge is the range for it to cast equipment, is it also true for lair, that it can cast creatures in its own zone as well as one zone away ?

Creatures all have a Casting Range of 0-0. This means that Lair can only cast creatures in its own zone because there are no creature spells with a Casting Range greater than 0-0. Again the 0-1 you are referring to is the Casting Range to create the Lair itself.

4) So the range on top of a spell is not only the range to cast the card itself - mage can cast "lair" one zone away - but it is also the range of the card itself to cast its own magic ?

No. The Casting Range on the casting line of the spell is ONLY the range to cast the spell itself. Casters have no defined range unless otherwise noted (such as Seedling Pod).

In the end, I think your group needs to start making it a habit to read and pay attention to the casting bar at the top of every card which tells you not only the range of the spell but also what that particular spell is targeting. It also tells you whether it is a Quick or Full Action, which I hope you have not been ignoring as well.

pete2

• Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2014, 04:10:20 AM »
Thanks to ya all ! i did also post this on bgg, just to be sure to get response...in future i will restrict to "our" mage wars forum...

i'm clear on lair and battleforge now...

teleport still : let me rephrase my understanding now : i can "target" an object/creature/zone up to 2 zones away, to teleport it all over the arena , as far as i pay the necessary mana and respect LoS ?

we did make diff between quick and full actions though...that was clear...

Wooow..this game is so addictive !!!

jacksmack

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 19
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2014, 04:49:14 AM »
Thanks to ya all ! i did also post this on bgg, just to be sure to get response...in future i will restrict to "our" mage wars forum...

i'm clear on lair and battleforge now...

teleport still : let me rephrase my understanding now : i can "target" an object/creature/zone up to 2 zones away, to teleport it all over the arena , as far as i pay the necessary mana and respect LoS ?

we did make diff between quick and full actions though...that was clear...

The target line says:

Quickspell.
Range: 0-2 Zones
Target(s): Creature & Zone  - which read creature AND zone.

The Caster must fulfil these requirements.

Can he target a creature 3 zones away? no

Can he choose the enemys starting zone when he is standing in his own starting zone (5 zones away)? no

Why? because range is 0-2 zones. Range to what.... range to creature & zone

what creature, what zone?

The spell text says:

Target creature is Teleported to the target zone.
X = 3 mana per zone moved away from its current zone.
You must pay at least 3 mana even if the target is teleported to the same zone. This does not count as a move action for the creature.   

silverclawgrizzly

• Charlotte Mage Warrior
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2014, 05:17:59 AM »

Yeah it is.
  • Favourite Mage: Straywood Beastmaster
What we must all remember is no matter the game we were all newbies at one point.

pete2

• Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2014, 05:25:56 AM »

The spell text says:

Target creature is Teleported to the target zone.
X = 3 mana per zone moved away from its current zone.

yeah , but the thing is : can the creature be teleported to a target zone beyond 2 zones from his current zone ? After paying the necessary mana, and checking Los...

jacksmack

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 19
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2014, 05:57:19 AM »
not sure if serious.

ACG

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2014, 06:52:16 AM »
yeah , but the thing is : can the creature be teleported to a target zone beyond 2 zones from his current zone ? After paying the necessary mana, and checking Los...

No. It may not. It may only be teleported to a target zone within 2 zones of the caster.

pete2

• Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2014, 07:28:37 AM »
Im sorry, jacksmack, but english isn't my monther tongue...

maybe that's why i don't sound serious to you and i apologise for that...

i just didn't get the point on how far my mage could teleport the object...

For example : i want to teleport a creature that is 2 zones away from me (i respect the teleport card's target zone : 0-2, so that's clear) but how many zones can i teleport this creature from its starting zone ?...i thought that some people said that it was max 2 zones...some others weren't that clear on that...so i got confused..

pete2

• Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2014, 07:33:35 AM »
@ ACG : i think i get it now...this could be 2 zones away from the caster, being a teleport of 4 zones in total...i'll leave it with that...sorry for being annoying...

thx to ya all !

maybe we'll meet in the arena !

Wildhorn

• Superior artificial brain, feel free to call me Blaine.
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
    • Mage Wars Quebec
« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2014, 07:40:06 AM »
Im sorry, jacksmack, but english isn't my monther tongue...

maybe that's why i don't sound serious to you and i apologise for that...

i just didn't get the point on how far my mage could teleport the object...

For example : i want to teleport a creature that is 2 zones away from me (i respect the teleport card's target zone : 0-2, so that's clear) but how many zones can i teleport this creature from its starting zone ?...i thought that some people said that it was max 2 zones...some others weren't that clear on that...so i got confused..

Teleport has 2 targets. A creature and a zone. The two must be within range (0-2). So you pick up a creature that is at maximum 2 zones away of your mage and you drop it in a zone that is at maximum 2 zones away of your mage.

Zuberi

• Rules Guru
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 57
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 08, 2014, 12:13:01 PM »
It's fine, pete2. We understand some of the users who post here are not native speakers of English. Also, there is nothing wrong with posting your question both here and on boardgamegeek, I just wanted to point out where my answer was coming from.

You are entirely correct that you can teleport a creature (other than the caster) up to 4 zones as long as it starts and ends up in a zone within 2 zones of the caster. Obviously, given the requirement of ending up within 2 zones of the caster, the caster can never teleport himself more than 2 zones.

Shad0w

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 08, 2014, 12:46:40 PM »
 8) Pete2 are you good now?

Just so you know the teleport question has been asked before if you use the search on the top right you would have found your answer.
"Darth come prove to meet you are worthy of the fighting for your school in the arena and not just another scholar to be discarded like an worn out rag doll"

Quote: Shad0w the Arcmage

pete2

• Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 08, 2014, 02:06:15 PM »
Thanks for the support and understanding, zuberi and shadow. I get it now..and won't forget it ever again..