March 28, 2024, 05:22:15 PM

Author Topic: quick cast in between creatures action stages  (Read 10177 times)

Avarice

• Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
quick cast in between creatures action stages
« on: March 27, 2014, 06:41:41 AM »
Hey all. Just a quick question. It says in the rulebook that a Quick cast can be used before or after a creature's action stage. Now, if it was my turn in the action stage of the round, can I quick cast and then activate one of my creatures before my opponent? In other words, if I use quick xast on my turn during action phase, is it my opponent's turn before I get a chance to move/attack with one of my creatures? Is it possible to quick cast and reveal bear strength and then attack with my steel claw grizzly immediately after?

lettucemode

Re: quick cast in between creatures action stages
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2014, 07:39:55 AM »
Yep!

Avarice

• Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2014, 07:55:22 AM »
So I can quick cast cheetah speed down, reveal it, and then attack all in the same action?

Avarice

• Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2014, 07:57:05 AM »
Or better yet, qc a fireball on target A, then activate a creature to move and atttack same target?

Avarice

• Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2014, 07:58:33 AM »
Theoretically,  I can attack 2x with my mage?

Vere

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2014, 08:16:46 AM »
You cannot use your normal melee attack or non-magic ranged attack (in case you have bow equiped ) during you quick cast action.  You can only cast quick spells and that includes attack spells life Fireball. BTW Wizard's Arcane Zap can also be used as quick cast action (Counts as an attack spell).

So yes, you can "attack" twice with your mage if one of this attacks is quick attack spell.

FrostByte

• Playtester
  • New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2014, 08:25:18 AM »
Quick cast is basically a free quick action you mage can do at any time before or after any creature you own, or your mage.  This means that you mage can cast a quick attack spell and then perform their full action.   Or you can cast Bear Strength on a friendly creature and then use that creature to attack.
  • Favourite Mage: Salenia Forcemaster

Zuberi

• Rules Guru
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 57
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2014, 08:35:32 AM »
As you already mentioned, the rules state you may use the Quick Cast Marker either before or after you take a Creature Action. This means that all of the examples you provided are acceptable. To break it down into the simplest terms, the following are acceptable:

1) Use your Quick Cast Marker, fully resolve whatever spell you cast, and then Activate a creature and fully resolve the creature's action.
2) Activate a creature and fully resolve the creature's action, and then flip the Quick Cast Marker and fully resolve the spell cast.

Both of those options are legal and are performed before you pass turn to your opponent. What is not legal, however, is trying to use the Quick Cast Marker in the middle of a Creature Action. Once you flip a marker, be it Quick Cast Marker or Action Marker, you must fully resolve everything you want to do with it before you can move on.

For Example, the following are NOT legal to perform.

1) Activate a Creature, Move into another zone, Quick Cast a Spell, and then perform a Quick Attack with the Creature.
2) Attack with a Double Strike and use a Quick Cast in between the two strikes.

Zuberi

• Rules Guru
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 57
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2014, 08:40:39 AM »
I will also note that the rules state that the Quick Cast Marker is used before or after a FRIENDLY creature's action. In a normal game, this limits you to using it only on your own turn, however in a team game, according to the rules as written, you can use it on your team mate's turn as well.

Avarice

• Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2014, 09:23:45 AM »
Ok. Thx for clarifying leffuce, frost, and zub. Much appreciated.  Oh btw, you get my message Frostbite, about meeting to play?

sIKE

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 18
  • Ugh
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2014, 09:24:58 AM »
And yes if you use your Mages QC action before or after a creatures action it is still considered between action phases.
  • Favourite Mage: Malakai Priest

Avarice

• Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2014, 09:32:50 AM »
Ty Sike

aquestrion

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 28, 2014, 04:59:54 AM »
Add in some ready marker madness and you can have a few attacks without enemy response.......ooooohhhhh broken