April 27, 2024, 03:25:44 AM

Author Topic: Priestess VS Priest.  (Read 7534 times)

silverclawgrizzly

• Charlotte Mage Warrior
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 4
    • View Profile
Priestess VS Priest.
« on: March 26, 2014, 12:35:16 AM »
Ok I've played with the Priestess a fair bit and have a fairly good understanding of her basics. At least to the style I want to play her. I just made a Priest book yesterday and went up against my roommates established Priestess book. Mind you I currently have a slight head cold and I hobbled the book together while watching television. As expected I got the holy bees wax beat out of me. I took out an Archer, a Unicorn, and Brogan but in the end I lost which is cool.

What I was curious about is what do folks see as being the big differences between the Priestess and Priest. to me it seems as though the Priest is built for offense(killed an Archer in one hit) while the Priestess is a defensive build more times than not. Both have the same creatures and access to healing but their core abilities sort of define their roles. What other differences do they have?
  • Favourite Mage: Straywood Beastmaster
What we must all remember is no matter the game we were all newbies at one point.

Zuberi

• Rules Guru
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 57
    • View Profile
Re: Priestess VS Priest.
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2014, 04:40:14 AM »
The two mages are distinguished by their abilities and their channeling. Saying that the Priest is more aggressive while the Priestess is more defensive is a fair assessment.

Priestess
Greater channeling gives her an ever increasing advantage with the longer that the game lasts. Her ability to increase her Life also favors a longer game. Finally, her Restore ability allows her to provide excellent support to her creatures.

Priest
Lower channeling means he favors a quicker game than his counterpart. Holy Avenger is actually a defensive ability designed to give your opponent a Catch-22. They can either attack a very tough creature (+5 Life) or they can suffer a punishing retributive strike (+2 Melee). Finally, Malakai's Fire gives the Priest the most devastating melee attack out of any mage. His basic attack does around 4.5 damage on average (against an unarmored opponent) with a 1 in 3 chance to Daze. Meanwhile, if you equip him with the Staff of Asyra, he will do more damage against an armored target (2+ armor) than a Forcemaster with Galvitar will AND have a chance to Daze or Stun his target.

Comparison
Since he has the most powerful melee attack out of any mage in the game currently, I think it is clear that if you are wanting your Mage to be your primary damage source then you should pick the Priest. If you plan for most of your damage to come from creatures, then the Priestess's Restore ability is arguably better than Holy Avenger, but I don't think there's enough of a difference to say that picking a Priest with such a strategy in mind is a bad decision. Especially now that we have Wand of Healing.

The main difference between them, however, is the length of games they favor given the Channeling differences and Divine Reward. With the Priest you want to be aggressive. He can hold his own with a mid-range strategy, but he typically does not want the game to drag on too long. Meanwhile, the Priestess can get stronger with the longer the game progresses if you play her that way.

Thus, if you want a shorter more aggressive game, or you want your mage to be dishing out the hurt personally, pick the Priest. Otherwise, the Priestess is probably the better choice.

barriecritzer

• Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2014, 09:32:18 AM »
I recently built a priestess over the priest mainly because the 1 extra channeling allowed me to do the opening move I wanted to try out where the priests 9 channeling would not have allowed me to.

echephron

• Player
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
  • The finest in mage wear...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2014, 08:59:30 PM »
I think of the priest as having 10 channelling but always have a 1 mana downpayment on his burn ability. The turns he can burn he is getting a burn marker at cost(2 removal cost), and the turns he can't he loses a mana.
  • Favourite Mage: Wychwood Druid

Aylin

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2014, 12:16:52 AM »
I think of the priest as having 10 channelling but always have a 1 mana downpayment on his burn ability. The turns he can burn he is getting a burn marker at cost(2 removal cost), and the turns he can't he loses a mana.

Not the best way of thinking about it, since you can't use Malakai's Fire every turn (or ever against the new Warlock).

sIKE

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 18
  • Ugh
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2014, 09:01:05 AM »
Not the best way of thinking about it, since you can't use Malakai's Fire every turn (or ever against the new Warlock).
Why not?
  • Favourite Mage: Malakai Priest

Wildhorn

• Superior artificial brain, feel free to call me Blaine.
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
    • Mage Wars Quebec
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2014, 01:29:40 PM »
Why not?

The new Warlock will move the burn on yourself.