April 30, 2024, 05:33:13 PM

Author Topic: Regarding card binder sleeves  (Read 11299 times)

Avarice

• Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
Regarding card binder sleeves
« on: March 24, 2014, 07:11:06 PM »
Just wondering what everyone uses in their binders. Ultra pro? Size? I have over 1200 cards with the extra spell tomes.

Moonglow

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 2
    • View Profile
Re: Regarding card binder sleeves
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2014, 07:40:41 PM »
Ultra pro here...

sIKE

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 18
  • Ugh
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2014, 08:08:25 PM »
Ultra pro here...
add Matte here....
  • Favourite Mage: Malakai Priest

Avarice

• Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2014, 08:23:48 PM »
Thx. What's the website? And also the size, layout, etc. Prefer top or side holds? Sry for being a bother. Just that game store near me seems to "miss" shipments.

Avarice

• Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2014, 08:28:05 PM »
Sorry for not being clear. I was looking for sleeves to place in a binder.

IndyPendant

• Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2014, 11:43:08 PM »
Are you talking about sleeves for cards that you will be putting into standard Ultra Pro card pages?
http://www.ultrapro.com/product_info.php?products_id=1302

If so, then (rather surprisingly) the Ultra Pro card sleeves do not work very well for that.  What you want to use instead are Mayday Games brand sleeves, which fit those pages perfectly:
http://maydaygames.com/card-sleeves-63-5-88-mm-100-pack.html
or
http://maydaygames.com/premium-card-sleeves-50-pack-63-5-mm-88-mm.html

However, if you want to put sleeves on cards that you are then putting into the standard Mage Wars spellbooks, then the Ultra Pro card sleeves will work just fine for that (and arguably, better than Mayday Games sleeves).
« Last Edit: March 25, 2014, 03:11:47 AM by IndyPendant »

sIKE

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 18
  • Ugh
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2014, 12:20:39 AM »
I have to say, I really love the Ultra Pro-Matte Sleeves, a bit more expense than their non-matte brethren but still cheaper than the Dragon Sleeves I started out using.
  • Favourite Mage: Malakai Priest

MageHorst

• Jr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
  • MiĆ©villean Tentacle
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2014, 02:43:39 AM »
Same here: Ultra Pro Matte. They look great (mostly - my friend plays a Warlock, but uses bilious green sleeves; didn't really go together well ;) ) and the rough back feels great, and they fit perfectly.
  • Favourite Mage: Bloodwave Warlord
Yes, warlord! No other victory feels more rewarding. =)

CobaltGray

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2014, 04:12:57 AM »
Funny but Ive just gone through this myself. I made the mistake of going for the Ultra-Pro clear sleeves. They are a lot cheaper but its not worth the hassle! They are a bit larger than the coloured sleeves and are super slippery which means its a right pain getting them out of the spell books as you usually end up puling the card out of the sleeve unless you put the opening at the bottom of the card. In this case its a pain putting them back in.

After a test of a few different sleeves I think that the Ultra-pro Matte sleeves are the best. I've just bought 1000 and you get quite a discount when buying in bulk (I'm in the UK so got mine from http://www.magicmadhouse.co.uk/search/ultra-pro-sleeves.)

On the bright side, I have around a 1000 clear sleeves if anyone can think of a use for them  >:(

Moonglow

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2014, 04:26:46 AM »
Are we all talking about the same ultra pro sleeves? I think mine are the ultra fit version perhaps? Cause there certainly isn't any way that they'll slip out, it was hard enought to get them in and arguably there is sometimes some curving from the tight fit; very slight though.  I really like the depth an shine the gloss sleeves add.  I've had a matt screen cover on my tablet the last two years an having just pulled it off, I can't stop wondering why i wanted to flatten the depth of color?   .

CobaltGray

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2014, 04:59:06 AM »
hmmm - I don't think they were the 'slim-fit' clear sleeves. (Well obviously not as they aren't). If they are as tight as the Matte sleeve then you are probably right Moonglow - just comes down to gloss or matt ?

So you've got me thinking - I thought I preferred the matt sleeves as they don't reflect the light as much. But when have I ever been to a games convention in bright sunlight ? (its usually in a darkened cave surrounded by large men with odour issues).

Avarice

• Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2014, 05:36:49 AM »
Thx for everyone's opinion. Yeah, I was talking about the actual 9 card holder sleeves to place my 1200+ cards in a binder for storage. Not particularly fond of keeping them in square cut outs in mage wars box. I do use ultra pro covers for my mages and their abilities cards, since there are no extras for those. It fits perfectly, and I can easily slide them in and out of spellbook. I just wasn't quite sure about the actual 9 card holder binder sleeves.

CobaltGray

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 25, 2014, 05:48:32 AM »

Ah sorry Avarice, thought you were on about individual card sleeves.

Just a thought though, but you can store your cards in Deck-Boxes and these fit perfectly in the Mage-Wars box (see http://forum.arcanewonders.com/index.php?topic=13887.0 for a picture).

Or the Ultra Pro 9-pocket binders are really good.

wtcannonjr

• Ambassador of Wychwood
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
    • WBC Mage Wars Tournament
« Reply #13 on: March 25, 2014, 05:54:25 AM »
I used to use the Ultra-Pro 9 pocket binders, but I went to a modular 3-ring binder format with one side 9 pocket pages that I can add easily as new expansions are released. I found binders at Staples that are color coded for each spell type except for Brown-Creatures. I still use the new Ultra-Pro Brown binders from Coolstuffinc.com for these.
  • Favourite Mage: Wychwood Druid
"Not everything that is faced can be changed, but nothing can be changed until it is faced." - James Baldwin

Avarice

• Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 25, 2014, 06:45:32 AM »
Ty sci and wt. Yeah, I also bought binders from staples. Pretty cheap. Oh, I never thought of using multiple deck boxes. That makes sense also. Lol.