April 27, 2024, 04:35:03 AM

Author Topic: nullify - transfusion  (Read 9140 times)

Avarice

• Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
nullify - transfusion
« on: March 17, 2014, 07:50:49 PM »
Hello again all. I was reading a post that was talking about the nullify - transfusion combo. What is this, how does it beat nullify, and how is it set up?

ringkichard

• Flightless Funpire
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 18
  • Kich, if you prefer.
    • View Profile
Re: nullify - transfusion
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2014, 08:02:06 PM »
To set it up, you cast a face down Nullify on some creature (preferably friendly) and also a face down Enchantment Transfusion on the same creature.

Then, whenever your opponent casts an Incantation or Enchantment that you particularly hate, you reveal your Enchantment Transfusion to move the face down Nullify to the creature you want to protect. Then you reveal your Nullify, as normal.

You can also use Enchantment Transfusion in the same way to sneak curses onto an opponent without triggering a defensive Nullify. You cast the Enchantment Transfusion and the curses all face down, then reveal the Transfusion and move all the curses over. Since you're not actually casting the curses, your opponent's Nullify doesn't trigger, and then you can reveal the curses as normal.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2014, 08:06:48 PM by ringkichard »
I can take the fun out of anything. It's true; here, look at this spreadsheet.

Avarice

• Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2014, 09:53:18 PM »
Thx for the reply Kich. I guess it's not that easy to sniff out,  if one sees multiple cards down on a high lvl creature, it may be multiple buffs. But, if you sense trick, u can seek dispel no?

ringkichard

• Flightless Funpire
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 18
  • Kich, if you prefer.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2014, 11:02:56 PM »
Seeking Dispel can work if you guess right and hit the Enchantment Transfusion, but if you target the Nullify, depending on what your opponent wants to do, he or she could respond by revealing the Seeking Dispel and moving the Nullify out of harm's way. Seeking Dispel prevents the targeted enchantment from being revealed, but other untargeted Enchantments on the same creature are still fair game.

I wouldn't worry too much about this combo under most circumstances. You're far more likely to have large creatures propelled at your face at high speeds than to have to worry about a subtle trick like this one. It's one thing to keep in mind, but as a beginner you've got other things to worry about.

I can take the fun out of anything. It's true; here, look at this spreadsheet.

Avarice

• Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2014, 05:40:51 AM »
Ok, so if there are multiple enchantments on a creature, and I seek dispell, is it up to the other player what gets dispelled? The nullify woild get triggered first, but if there is no nullify, can I choose what to dispell? Even if they are face down, do I say "the first or second or third one?" Also, while we are talking about tricks, what's the obelisk/orb combo? Is the FM, or any mage for that matter, putting mind control on a creature and not paying an upkeep so creature is destroyed? Thx again for your sage advice, and yes, I do have plenty to worry about as a beginner. Lol. In fact, my gf's warlock is very annoying to deal with with a base card spellbook as a beastmaster. Haven't yet toyed with constructing my own till I learn all the mages first.

Zuberi

• Rules Guru
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 57
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2014, 06:20:04 AM »
You choose which enchantment to use the Seeking Dispel on when you cast it. It does not trigger Nullify because it targets a Hidden Enchantment and not a Creature. Therefore, if all they have is two enchantments on them, a Nullify and an Enchantment Transfusion, you would have a 50/50 chance of targeting the Transfusion and leaving the Nullify in place. Otherwise, they get the choice if they want to let the Nullify be Dispelled or use the Transfusion to Move it and cancel your Seeking Dispel.

As Enchantments do have to be put on the creature in a set order, it is perfectly acceptable to simply say "the first one" etc. However, I usually just point at the card I am targeting, lol.

jacksmack

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 19
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2014, 06:40:39 AM »
Dissolve targets the mage.

Nullify triggers when the mage is targetted by an incantation or enchantment.

Dispell / seeking dispell targets an enchantment.
This does not trigger nullify.

Zuberi

• Rules Guru
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 57
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2014, 06:50:39 AM »
Mordok's Obelisk and Suppression Orb is a good combo to combat swarms, as it makes your opponent pay through the nose for having more creatures than you.

Meanwhile, Mordok's Obelisk + Mind Control does allow you to instantly kill an opponents creature by not paying the upkeep on the creature. You do have to pay the upkeep on the Mind Control though for it to work. It is kind of a strange ruling with a complex history behind it.

Zuberi

• Rules Guru
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 57
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2014, 06:53:21 AM »
Should be noted that only the Forcemaster can currently use Mind Control though, as it is restricted to Mind Mages.

Avarice

• Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2014, 08:04:51 AM »
Thank you Zub and Jack for clarifying this for me. I apologize in advance for all the newb questions. Lol. Just trying to get a better understanding of the game. In terms if decoy, I should use that to bait a seeking dispell, whether it is on my creature or an enemy? This is where mind games come into play, yes?

Zuberi

• Rules Guru
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 57
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2014, 05:14:36 PM »
Decoy is very useful in regards to Mind Games. At first, I thought that was the only thing it was useful for. You can put it on a creature to encourage a seeking dispel, or to discourage them casting a spell on that creature (if they think the Decoy is a Nullify). You can also cast it in a zone to make them think it is a trap and discourage them from going into that zone.

However, mind games are not it's only use. It also makes an excellent Nullify trigger. If you suspect they have a Nullify on the creature, cast a Decoy on it before anything else. If you were right, the Nullify will trigger and you've only lost 2 mana (same as seeking dispel). If you were wrong, you can regain your 2 mana at a later time.

Even better than Decoy for triggering Nullify is Purify, as you can cast it for free if you don't want to remove any poison effects or enchantments from the creature, and they still have to reveal Nullify in response. This is really only better than Decoy for Holy mages though, as Decoy is still more affordable in Spellpoints for other mages.

If you have Fellella, you can also use Decoy to transfer mana from your familiar to your Mage.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2014, 05:18:00 PM by Zuberi »

Avarice

• Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 18, 2014, 06:02:53 PM »
Wow. Nicely written. Thx again Zub. How would u transfer mana with decoy tho? Maybe I should look at her card. Lol

klaymen

• Jr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 18, 2014, 11:07:41 PM »
Fellella casts the decoy with her own mana and when revealed, the decoy gives mana to you.

Zuberi

• Rules Guru
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 57
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 19, 2014, 01:59:02 AM »
Fellella casts the decoy with her own mana and when revealed, the decoy gives mana to you.

Exactly right. You use Fellella's mana to cast the Decoy, but once revealed the Decoy returns the mana to your Mage, not to Fellella. Thus allowing you to essentially transfer the mana. It's not exceptionally efficient, and I'd recommend having other reasons for casting the Decoy besides just the mana transfer in most cases, but it is something to keep in mind.

Avarice

• Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 19, 2014, 05:24:35 AM »
Thx Klay and Zub. That's an interesting little trick. Butv yes, probably better things to do with decoy.