April 27, 2024, 07:12:59 AM

Author Topic: regarding divine intervention  (Read 6263 times)

Avarice

• Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
regarding divine intervention
« on: March 17, 2014, 12:00:32 PM »
Hello all. I was recently watching a video of s priestess casting divine int on a vampiress and sending it over to opponent's mage to harass. It was stated that this can be countered if sniffed out early. My question is what would be the best way to counter this trick?

Sailor Vulcan

• Secret Identity: Imaginator
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
Re: regarding divine intervention
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2014, 12:08:19 PM »
Sleep on the vampiress is probably one of your best options. Or you could also restrain them then move out of range of their attacks. Or you could summon your own creature to protect you.
  • Favourite Mage: Salenia Forcemaster
I am Sailor Vulcan! Champion of justice and reason! And yes, I am already aware my uniform is considered flashy, unprofessional, and borderline sexually provocative for my species by most intelligent lifeforms. I did not choose this outfit. Shut up.

sIKE

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 18
  • Ugh
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2014, 12:11:33 PM »
Seeking Dispel the hidden Enchantment before it's revealed....
  • Favourite Mage: Malakai Priest

ringkichard

• Flightless Funpire
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 18
  • Kich, if you prefer.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2014, 12:21:37 PM »
Divine Intervention is a 12 mana spell. Just spend 12 extra mana on your first creature.
I can take the fun out of anything. It's true; here, look at this spreadsheet.

Sailor Vulcan

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2014, 12:47:25 PM »

There interventioning all the way across the arena early on. You're out of range. Unless you have Huggin.
I am Sailor Vulcan! Champion of justice and reason! And yes, I am already aware my uniform is considered flashy, unprofessional, and borderline sexually provocative for my species by most intelligent lifeforms. I did not choose this outfit. Shut up.

Avarice

• Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2014, 01:01:08 PM »
Ok, so there are options. Thank you all for the fast responses.  ;D

sIKE

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 18
  • Ugh
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2014, 01:22:46 PM »

There interventioning all the way across the arena early on. You're out of range. Unless you have Huggin.

a video of s priestess casting divine int on a vampiress and sending it over to opponent's mage to harass.

when the vamp gets into range....

Avarice

• Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2014, 04:41:16 PM »
Ty sike. Thx to all as well.  :)

Vere

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2014, 03:23:18 AM »
You can also cast defensive Teleport trap in you zone. I think that is the cheapest response.

Aylin

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2014, 04:38:26 PM »

a video of s priestess casting divine int on a vampiress and sending it over to opponent's mage to harass.

I thought the point of that trick was to move the Vampiress 3+ spaces when you reveal DI. When would it ever be in range before it's revealed?

sIKE

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 18
  • Ugh
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2014, 04:56:38 PM »

I thought the point of that trick was to move the Vampiress 3+ spaces when you reveal DI. When would it ever be in range before it's revealed?

You are correct if the DI is used to get the Vamp across the board, if it was being used to rescue the Vamp, the SD would be useful. A teleport trap in your zone would work.

A Vamp + DI casting cost is 18 (without any discounts). You could not cast in and reveal the DI in the first round. So you could in theory (if you prepared Seeking Dispel), you move one zone out of your start corner, teleport yourself to your far center and then Quick Cast Seeking Dispel on the hidden enchantment on the Vamp. Would work best if you have even initiative....

Aylin

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 21, 2014, 05:58:39 PM »

You are correct if the DI is used to get the Vamp across the board, if it was being used to rescue the Vamp, the SD would be useful. A teleport trap in your zone would work.

A Vamp + DI casting cost is 18 (without any discounts). You could not cast in and reveal the DI in the first round. So you could in theory (if you prepared Seeking Dispel), you move one zone out of your start corner, teleport yourself to your far center and then Quick Cast Seeking Dispel on the hidden enchantment on the Vamp. Would work best if you have even initiative....

That seems like a bad play to me. If they don't cast Vamp + Enchant in the first turn, or worse cast Vamp + Decoy, then you essentially lose your first turn.

And even if that plan does work, now you're within range of the Vamp (you could Teleport yourself 2 away, but the Priestess could just respond by moving 1 towards you, Teleporting the Vamp 3, then moving and attacking so you can't cast a full spell unless you're prepared to get hit), which is what your opponent wanted anyway.

The risks seem too high, and the rewards too miniscule with that plan.

BoomFrog

• Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 21, 2014, 06:25:00 PM »
The real counter is to be prepared to fight early by summoning your own creature round 2. Then who cares if they spent so much mana to get one or two hits in. Assuming teleporting bear they spent their best spell and 12 mana to do about 14 dice of damage. Slightly efficient but not a great investment on turn 2.

Sailor Vulcan

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 21, 2014, 07:18:48 PM »
Sorry, didn't think that through. What I'm actually thinking of is a nature/holy mage, interventioning Felella to cast nullify on whatever creature the opponent wants to DI. Then you'll have a bit more time to setup, so when the nullify is removed, you'll be ready for whatever creature is sent over to you. Or better yet, you could get the enemy to waste their DI, then DI yourself right over to the enemy and start laying the hurt on them while their big bulky creature is all the way across the arena from both of you.