April 29, 2024, 05:33:49 PM

Author Topic: Help understanding condition markers  (Read 2779 times)

V10lentray

• Member of Arcane Duels
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
Help understanding condition markers
« on: March 12, 2014, 03:36:14 PM »
So, my understanding is that condition markers are permanent until they are removed by an outside source, or removed due to a specific action.

So last night we had a few issues arise with condition markers, primarily DAZE. (the only condition markers used in the entire game were daze and cripple, and the crippled character was dead before he would have gotten to do any thing anyway.) 

While Dazed a creature still can complete actions as normal, such as move quick strike. When making a quick strike, they roll the effect die. 7+ attack as normal. Regardless of whether attack was successful or not, daze counter is removed as soon as the attack resolves.

So why if it's dazed can it still act as normal.
Also the counter comes off regardless if the creature does anything at all.
If a creature is dazed does it still hinder?
So when the marker comes off does the creature controller pay 2 mana?
When would you have to pay the "removal cost"
  • Favourite Mage: Wychwood Druid

applepi

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
  • I like pi(e)
    • View Profile
Re: Help understanding condition markers
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2014, 04:05:26 PM »
1) A dazed creature can still move as normal.  This is, I'm sure for game purposes and not flavor.
2) Yes.  It comes off at the end of the action phase of that creature.
3) Yes it can still hinder.
4) No, if it is removed naturally then 2 mana is not paid.
5) The removal cost is paid if you use a spell to remove it (ex. the priestess's restore ability).  Those spells will tell you to pay the removal cost.  However, it is generally not a good idea to use a spell to remove it, as it will go away on its own.

Wildhorn

• Superior artificial brain, feel free to call me Blaine.
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
    • Mage Wars Quebec
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2014, 04:31:22 PM »
A Daze is basically a condition that gives to a creature a 50% chance to miss its attack. It also make it easier to touch if it has a defense. You dont need to pay to remove it but you might want to if you REALLY need that attack to hit.

Zuberi

• Rules Guru
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 57
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2014, 05:30:20 PM »
You can find a description of each condition within the Codex which will tell you what rules pertain to it. For Daze specifically we have:

Quote from: Codex
Daze (Condition Marker)
Creature is disoriented and/or blinded. Whenever this creature makes an attack, roll the effect die at the end of the Declare Attack Step. If the attack skips that step, then roll as soon as the attack starts. If the result is 7 or higher, the attack is resolved normally. If the result is 6 or less, the attack “misses” its target and is considered to have been avoided (even if the attack is Unavoidable). If it makes a Zone Attack, only check once: the entire attack either fails or succeeds. If a creature has more than one Daze on it, roll only one time to see if the creature misses. In addition, the Dazed creature suffers a -2 penalty to all Defense rolls for each Daze marker it has. All Daze markers are removed at the end of the creature’s Action Phase. Daze has a removal cost of 2. Conjurations cannot be Dazed.

This tells us that when dazed you must roll the effect die for EACH attack that the creature makes. If the die lands on a 6 or below, the attack fails. The creature also suffers a -2 penalty to Defense rolls for each Daze marker on it. Daze has no other effects and all Daze markers are removed at the end of the creature's action phase.

I'll now address your specific questions, incase that has not clarified the issues:

1) Yes, it may still act completely as normal. The daze description does not mention any limitations on what actions it may perform.
2) Yes, the condition marker comes off at the end of the creature's action phase regardless of what actions they did or did not take. NOT at the end of the attack, mind you. If the creature makes multiple attacks, or makes an attack outside of it's action phase (such as with counterstrike), the Daze condition is not removed. In this way, it can affect multiple attacks.
3) Yes, the daze description does not mention limiting it's ability to hinder so it is still capable of doing so.
4) No, you never have to pay a removal cost unless a spell or effect tells you to pay it.
5) You would have to pay it if you used a spell or effect that told you you had to pay it. Such as with the Priestess's restore ability or the Wand of Healing.

Zuberi

• Rules Guru
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 57
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2014, 05:34:51 PM »
BTW, V10lentray, I love your puppy dog picture. Very cute.

Sailor Vulcan

• Secret Identity: Imaginator
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2014, 07:18:59 PM »
I've had so many people get angry at me when I've told them they can't remove their status condition without a spell or effect that allows them to do so. I probably should have made a thread for this earlier. Regardless I'm glad that I have somewhere to link for the next time.
  • Favourite Mage: Salenia Forcemaster
I am Sailor Vulcan! Champion of justice and reason! And yes, I am already aware my uniform is considered flashy, unprofessional, and borderline sexually provocative for my species by most intelligent lifeforms. I did not choose this outfit. Shut up.