April 24, 2024, 08:21:11 PM

Author Topic: Forged In Fire  (Read 380797 times)

Sailor Vulcan

• Secret Identity: Imaginator
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
Re: Forged In Fire
« Reply #15 on: March 08, 2014, 06:41:21 PM »
I think it's a matter of evaluating the probability that it will be a problem. I mean, whenever anyone attacks, there's always a chance that they will roll all blanks. Does that mean that I'll second guess whether I need to put on armor or a block or something else to defend myself from an attack? Course not.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2014, 06:43:29 PM by Imaginator »
  • Favourite Mage: Salenia Forcemaster
I am Sailor Vulcan! Champion of justice and reason! And yes, I am already aware my uniform is considered flashy, unprofessional, and borderline sexually provocative for my species by most intelligent lifeforms. I did not choose this outfit. Shut up.

ACG

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 10, 2014, 12:09:56 PM »

I note that on Standard Bearer, Gurmash is described as a Warlord, even though here he is a Sergeant. This will make Standard Bearer a lot more useful; just have Gurmash cast it on himself and then lead the troops into battle!

Hmm... What other interesting uses are there...

His bleeding attack isn't bad either, though I wonder why it does not have reach... must be a short whip.

I assume that the new warlord will also have battle orders, but different ones.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2014, 12:13:19 PM by ACG »

Sailor Vulcan

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 10, 2014, 12:15:37 PM »
Gurmash probably was either conquered by or is indebted to the warlord who summons him. Or maybe he's Gurmash II.
I am Sailor Vulcan! Champion of justice and reason! And yes, I am already aware my uniform is considered flashy, unprofessional, and borderline sexually provocative for my species by most intelligent lifeforms. I did not choose this outfit. Shut up.

Lord0fWinter

• Warden of the North
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 7
  • www.magewars.weebly.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 10, 2014, 12:23:35 PM »
Very surprised he doesn't have reach on his whip. I like the card though. Will be pretty useful.

Here's the article:
http://www.arcanewonders.com/arcane-wonders/forged-in-fire-preview-gurmash-orc-sergeant

He mentions that new command spells will be coming out that will work well with him, so perhaps he'll seem even better in the short future.
  • Favourite Mage: Darkfenne Necromancer
Visit my Mage Wars blog at www.magewars.weebly.com, also check me out on facebook at https://www.facebook.com/MageWarsBlog and on twitter at @MageWarsBlog

Wildhorn

• Superior artificial brain, feel free to call me Blaine.
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
    • Mage Wars Quebec
« Reply #19 on: March 10, 2014, 12:27:45 PM »
We assumed whip = Reach due to warlock whip.. But warlock whip is a magic one made of fire... This time, it is a normal whip.

BoomFrog

• Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 10, 2014, 12:30:08 PM »
It has to be a long whip to whip a falcon.

lettucemode

« Reply #21 on: March 10, 2014, 12:32:42 PM »
Sometimes balance has to come before theme. I am just fine with no Reach on the attack, especially since it probably would have bumped the mana cost up a few more.

Very excellent tool for the Warlord. Between this and the Helm of Command, Warlords are going to be very flexible.

Laddinfance

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 10, 2014, 12:34:56 PM »
Sometimes balance has to come before theme. I am just fine with no Reach on the attack, especially since it probably would have bumped the mana cost up a few more.

Very excellent tool for the Warlord. Between this and the Helm of Command, Warlords are going to be very flexible.

Wait till you see some of the new commands.

IndyPendant

• Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 10, 2014, 01:49:00 PM »
My personal comment is: *finally*, a familiar that is probably worth using!

Compared with Timber Wolf, which is generally agreed to be a very good creature: for +1 spellbook point (trained), a slightly worse but still respectable attack, Legendary, and +2 mana cost, we gain Channeling and useful-looking Familiar spellcasting.  Different comparison: the glut of Unavoidable attacks in the game make this Familiar much, much better than say Fellella, for the same cost.

I would have to see it in play before I passed final judgment, but...it will definitely see play.

applepi

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
  • I like pi(e)
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 10, 2014, 04:09:56 PM »
Looks really good.  The channeling should help the warlord, who I find is often mana-starved.  Also, he should be good for spamming cheap commands.  His attack is also useful.  I think the warlord could really shine late game, once he has built up an army, then buff it with himself and the Sargent.

BoomFrog

• Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 10, 2014, 09:42:06 PM »
You don't want to spam cheap commands because each time you use his action to cast you lose his attack that turn. Better to use his mana for rare high impact expensive commands.

Wildhorn

• Superior artificial brain, feel free to call me Blaine.
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
    • Mage Wars Quebec
« Reply #26 on: March 10, 2014, 10:08:21 PM »
Looks really good.  The channeling should help the warlord, who I find is often mana-starved.  Also, he should be good for spamming cheap commands.  His attack is also useful.  I think the warlord could really shine late game, once he has built up an army, then buff it with himself and the Sargent.

That channeling won't help mana-starve since it cost 12 mana to cast (and the channeling just compensate for the lose of command ring discount). It help by freeing warlord from using an action to cast command.

wtcannonjr

• Ambassador of Wychwood
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
    • WBC Mage Wars Tournament
« Reply #27 on: March 11, 2014, 06:01:48 AM »
Very surprised he doesn't have reach on his whip. I like the card though. Will be pretty useful.

Have you seen the size of the orcs and dwarves? You don't need much reach to whip them into shape and get them to do what you say.
  • Favourite Mage: Wychwood Druid
"Not everything that is faced can be changed, but nothing can be changed until it is faced." - James Baldwin

sIKE

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 18
  • Ugh
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 11, 2014, 10:22:57 AM »
Have you seen the size of the orcs and dwarves? You don't need much reach to whip them into shape and get them to do what you say.
Very true!
  • Favourite Mage: Malakai Priest

Sailor Vulcan

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
Forged In Fire
« Reply #29 on: March 11, 2014, 10:44:36 AM »

So THATS why so many soldiers are goblins...
« Last Edit: March 11, 2014, 10:46:14 AM by Imaginator »