April 27, 2024, 02:29:08 PM

Author Topic: So ummm...anyone else notice the Warlord is getting a tank?  (Read 22426 times)

ACG

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 5
    • View Profile
Re: So ummm...anyone else notice the Warlord is getting a tank?
« Reply #15 on: March 01, 2014, 04:45:36 PM »
I am not very familiar with Faraday Cages. However, sticking a fork in a light socket does not seem safer to me than sticking my finger in one. Perhaps purely metallic objects would take less damage from lightning, but the knights are still fleshy underneath all of that armor. It seems to me that the effect of the armor would be to distribute the charge equally across their entire body. This means that instead of having a singed arm, you are now singed from head to toe.

It doesn't magnify the damage. Nor does it reduce the damage. What it does do is distribute the damage to your entire body. That seems like a Lightning +X trait to me.

I also agree that the tank sounds more like a conjuration than a creature. However, it should definitely be mobile. Perhaps you attach it to a creature (like Tanglevine) who then uses it's action marker to drive the tank.

Electricity will take the easiest path from a high potential to a low one. If you stick a fork in a socket, that path is through you. If, on the other hand, you are encased in metal, then there is a fairly good chance that the easiest path will be through the metal. Lightning rods work this way by directing lightning down a wire to ground so that it doesn't pass through houses. If you were completely encased in a conductive material, you would be completely safe from electricity. In fact, this is why you are safe from lightning/downed power lines inside a car - the car directs the electricity across its outside to ground. If the current is running for long enough, the metal might heat up (proportionally to its resistance) from dissipating energy, but you won't be electrocuted.

With the knight, of course, we don't know exactly how conductive the armor is or whether it forms a complete path to ground, so it's hard to say whether he would be protected in the same way a person inside a Faraday cage is. But it shouldn't make him significantly more vulnerable than an unarmored person.

And a golem/wall being vulnerable to lightning is just ridiculous. Lightning immunity would be much more appropriate.

DeckBuilder

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 01, 2014, 04:57:27 PM »
Oh ACG, you have to spoil it with Science! :)

Lightning +2 of heavy armour troops is ridiculous but it's a cypher (and I'm happy they have it as Lightning needs love with Plants all Flame +2)

I personally love the Hydrophobic plants...
I could have sworn there was some H2O in the photosynthesis formula...

Although 2 opposing Jellies fighting each other will be pretty dull...
They can't even touch each other - thank goodness for mitosis else they would be an endangered species!
(Hardly likely to ever get extinct with Infinite Armour and Regen 4 cannot be nerfed by Finite Life)

I actually LOVE the Bad Science in Mage Wars
It's like those campy Sci-Fi shows like Flash Gordon
In fact, everytime I look at an Angel, I think of Barbarella.
That 70s Retro chic look is why I love its not-so PC quirks.
And embrace its Bad Science as part of a huge "in joke".
It's all fun and games until someone loses an eye. And then it's just fun.

Laddinfance

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 01, 2014, 07:40:35 PM »
Oh dear. When I left this morning this post hadn't even gone up. I checked my phone a little later and saw it pop up, but now we're on to two pages talking about the tank.

Well, sadly it is my duty to inform you that the tank, is not in Forged in Fire. Now we have plenty of other cool toys for the Warlord to play with, but the engineers of the Anvil Throne had some dispute over the correct specifications for the tank and so they could not get it to us for this set.

After reading this post, I wish this wasn't true, but sadly we have held the tank. He needs a fair amount of work yet. The moment he is ready, rest assured we'll be dropping him out.

Now, since you're probably a little sad, I will try to comfort you with some special knowledge. The warlord has enlisted the aid of an alchemist to aid in his endeavors. Previews start Monday where we'll discuss Adramelech's Torment. We have the art for it up on our facebook page right >>HERE<<

silverclawgrizzly

• Charlotte Mage Warrior
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 01, 2014, 07:48:58 PM »
Tears fill my eyes and sorrow fills my heart at this news. My life is nothing but pain, my future is only bleak emptiness without a tank in it. My hopes and dreams have become naught but ash and I can't even muscle the strength to get out of bed, if not for the snuggly goodness of it I would have no joy.

I am now a dark goth emo silverclaw grizzly. I'll be over here in the dark listening to Crux Shadows and cutting myself.
 :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'(
  • Favourite Mage: Straywood Beastmaster
What we must all remember is no matter the game we were all newbies at one point.

Laddinfance

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 01, 2014, 07:57:22 PM »
Cheer up Emo Grizz?

silverclawgrizzly

• Charlotte Mage Warrior
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 01, 2014, 08:00:33 PM »
No. No now I am DARK GRIZZLY!!!!!!! I've been denied my tank! Fine! I shall now dedicate myself to Playing Warlock, Necromancer and all other Dark Mages and bring death and fire to Etheria!!!! If I can't have the awesome beauty of a tank then I shall burn all other mages and curse their souls with Ghoul Rot and that other curse I like to cast I forget the name of.....Mage Bane! That's it Mage Bane! I can't have artillery fire? Fine then I shall give all others fire of my own!
BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!

All shall love me and despair!
What we must all remember is no matter the game we were all newbies at one point.

Laddinfance

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 01, 2014, 08:04:52 PM »
All shall love me and despair!

When did we offer you the One Ring? and why are we in Lothlorien...

silverclawgrizzly

• Charlotte Mage Warrior
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 01, 2014, 08:06:44 PM »
Yeah probably could have figured this crowd would get that reference pretty early. In all honestly I truly despise elves lol. If they aren't baking me cookies or making me toys I got no love for them.

Laddinfance

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 01, 2014, 08:47:33 PM »
If Galadriel had baked cookies, the fellowship would have never left.

Aylin

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 01, 2014, 10:47:46 PM »
I am not very familiar with Faraday Cages. However, sticking a fork in a light socket does not seem safer to me than sticking my finger in one. Perhaps purely metallic objects would take less damage from lightning, but the knights are still fleshy underneath all of that armor. It seems to me that the effect of the armor would be to distribute the charge equally across their entire body. This means that instead of having a singed arm, you are now singed from head to toe.

It doesn't magnify the damage. Nor does it reduce the damage. What it does do is distribute the damage to your entire body. That seems like a Lightning +X trait to me.

That's a fundamental misunderstanding of what's actually happening.

Faraday cages have nothing to do with sticking forks in a light socket, first off. Why even mention this?

The reason a Faraday suit (like a suit of armour) is effective is because metal is such a great conductor of electricity. All of the charge is concentrated on the outside of the cage, with none of the charge inside at all. If you put a Faraday cage (suit or otherwise) inside of an electric field, what happens is that charges build up on the outside of the suit (electrons either gather towards the charge or on the opposite side, depending on if the charge is negative or positive). This has the side effect of completely canceling out the charge inside the Faraday cage (you can build one pretty cheaply and stick your cell phone inside of it; if you do it will completely loss signal). Things are a bit more complicated than that, but that's the gist anyway; they protect the objects inside of them from electromagnetic radiation (be it radio waves or bolts of electricity). Here's a video of a guy inside of a Faraday Suit playing with some Tesla Coils.

Knights of Westlock and other armoured creatures should most definitely NOT have Lightning +X. Lightning -X would be more suitable, since while a perfect Faraday Suit would make them Lightning immune, an imperfect one (metal impurities, etc) would still give some protection.

Zuberi

• Rules Guru
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 57
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 01, 2014, 11:21:57 PM »
As I said, I don't really know how Faraday Cages work. Forks are metal. If metal inherently protects you from electricity, then sticking a fork in a light socket should be perfectly safe. It is not. Therefore, metal does not inherently protect you from electricity.

There must be something about the design of the Faraday Cages that protects people from harm rather than just the material. I did a quick Google search on Faraday Cages before my last post which told me they worked by distributing the electricity around the cage. That is what led to my previous hypothesis. You now have educated me that the charge is unable to penetrate the metal but rather just dances along the outside of it. I'm still a little unsure how that actually protects you though.

Unless the suit was completely enclosed, wouldn't your flesh be touching the same outer layer of metal that is on the outside of the suit? The charge just needs to travel around the metal to reach your skin, it wouldn't need to travel through it.

I don't mean to be impertinent and I apologize if this post or the previous one comes off that way. I am merely ignorant and Google is not providing me with satisfactory answers. Thus far, it makes perfect sense to me that a metal suit would increase lightning damage, but it would not be the first time my understanding was flawed.

silverclawgrizzly

• Charlotte Mage Warrior
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 01, 2014, 11:28:39 PM »
If Galadriel had baked cookies, the fellowship would have never left.

If Galadriel could have baked cookies none of their problems would have ever happened.

krj

• Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 02, 2014, 04:03:53 AM »
actually i'm glad there will be no tank :)

Aylin

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 02, 2014, 04:20:26 AM »
As I said, I don't really know how Faraday Cages work. Forks are metal. If metal inherently protects you from electricity, then sticking a fork in a light socket should be perfectly safe. It is not. Therefore, metal does not inherently protect you from electricity.

There must be something about the design of the Faraday Cages that protects people from harm rather than just the material. I did a quick Google search on Faraday Cages before my last post which told me they worked by distributing the electricity around the cage. That is what led to my previous hypothesis. You now have educated me that the charge is unable to penetrate the metal but rather just dances along the outside of it. I'm still a little unsure how that actually protects you though.Unless the suit was completely enclosed, wouldn't your flesh be touching the same outer layer of metal that is on the outside of the suit? The charge just needs to travel around the metal to reach your skin, it wouldn't need to travel through it.

If some charge travels inside the suit through eye-holes or some other opening, it would be the same as if there was a charge inside the suit; the charges on the outside of the suit would redistribute so as to ensure the charge inside remains 0. There is a portion of a second before this happens though (faster than 10^-10 seconds for iron iirc), and during that time the wearer of the suit might have some problems. Certain designs can help minimize this, but overall the effects should be fairly minor for a person inside an iconic suit of full plate.

You can experiment with it yourself if you'd like; there are instructions for making Faraday cages everywhere on the Internet, and I'd also suggest looking up Franklin's experiment with the electrified pint can.

I don't mean to be impertinent and I apologize if this post or the previous one comes off that way. I am merely ignorant and Google is not providing me with satisfactory answers. Thus far, it makes perfect sense to me that a metal suit would increase lightning damage, but it would not be the first time my understanding was flawed.

It's fine; the complexities of electromagnetism are difficult to understand. I have a hard time wrapping my brain around most of it as well. Many things about physics are unintuitive, including just about everything related to Electromagnetism.

Artemus Maximus

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 02, 2014, 08:35:49 AM »
Hooray! Alchemy!

Now I'm REALLY wondering if there's going to be a Big Bad expansion with Griffins, Dragons,  Tanks,  Elementals...
« Last Edit: March 02, 2014, 08:39:35 AM by Artemus Maximus »